April 1 Fishing Regs-sell your Boats!!

These ministers act like like CEOs for cooperate America. The only reason a decision is not make is eather some underling has not given her all the info need to make the Decision, she’s ask for more information or they simply have not scheduled 5 mins into her Calendar to sit down and make it. Alternatively they could of already sat down at determend for x reason let’s delay it.

thinking there’s some meaning for thoughtful process she’s doing thats not how these people operate, that’s for her slaves to figure out.

Not being a glass half empty person, I prefer to consider other positive possibilities.

Maybe the Minister, coming from a fishing economy on the East Coast, actually understands how important fisheries like ours are to local communities and the deeply embedded culture of society?

Maybe she's sympathetic to the cultural and economic importance our fishery represents to many people and communities?

Perhaps the delay is related to a Minister who was prepared to ask more questions, not accept the Pacific Region advice on face value?

Maybe the Minister realizes that based on the effort data, very little economic and social activity is generated in the spring fishery so the real pressure is on for addressing this before effort (and consequences) really start kicking in after May - so why not take the time to get this decision right?

Or maybe if I bought into the glass half empty view, just maybe in some twisted way Ottawa likes the drama and realizes that its' pointless wrestling with the recreational fishery pig in the mud, because we just like to wrestle no matter what the outcome - its good sport to us. Maybe they are resigned to realization we would find some reason to complain even if we got everything we asked for....perhaps they are just tired of the mud wrestling the pig and will make the decision in their own time.

So I plan to do more productive things while we wait...like work on my shop and get my boat ready. Besides, the lings are biting, as are the hali...and there are prawns to chase too.
I think the minister has been backed into a corner. DFO has approved these recommendations. The optics of going against the "experts"(I use that term lightly) at DFO are not good. The flip side is to battle the natives and NGO's.

This should be no excuse. We appoint politicians to make policies, decisions etc. Even if they are difficult. I believe this is a clear case of "easier to do nothing". Shameful.

I would love to know what our legal options are. Shocked there isn't a well off lawyer out there that loves to fish, who would be willing to take up the fight.

I would love to know what our legal options are. Shocked there isn't a well off lawyer out there that loves to fish, who would be willing to take up the fight.

they don’t like fishing that much

not to mention they probably can afford to WCVI or the north coast

Last edited:
AND here we wait once again for MSF and missed out on some of the best fishing for salmon ive seen in a long time ..... figured DFO s MO is to slam us on a friday to **** us off for a weekend, Have to say this is a complete **** show but it doesnt surprise me , I think really the only option is do what the natives say, WE are going to sue you... seems to work for them...
Or do as the natives do and say fk it, just go fishing!

Or do as the natives do and say fk it, just go fishing!
This is the funny part. Once the fishing is closed completely. There will be no need for DFO. We can just go out and do as we please knowing there is no one watching.

This is probably why DFO is backing the msf. Working themselves out of jobs at the rate things are going.

Maybe the decision has been made and the original one stands? Maybe we are just hoping the original one is amended. Hope not but in a way from the Ministers perspective the longer she delays the longer we remain hopeful and the longer the closure remains in place. Anyway all we can do is try and think positive.

Maybe the decision has been made? Maybe we are just hoping the original one is amended. Hope not but in a way from the Ministers perspective the longer she delays the longer we remain hopeful and the longer the closure remains in place.
OOOHHH it was made months ago trust me on that is easier for them to shut it down (april1) now that whole month is lost ....... and I bet most of may soon, they will it drag on because honestly they dont give a F#$% about us ask anyone who has been in meeting with them know...
BUT the net are in river as we speak....

Not being a glass half empty person, I prefer to consider other positive possibilities.

Maybe the Minister, coming from a fishing economy on the East Coast, actually understands how important fisheries like ours are to local communities and the deeply embedded culture of society?

Maybe she's sympathetic to the cultural and economic importance our fishery represents to many people and communities?

Perhaps the delay is related to a Minister who was prepared to ask more questions, not accept the Pacific Region advice on face value?

Maybe the Minister realizes that based on the effort data, very little economic and social activity is generated in the spring fishery so the real pressure is on for addressing this before effort (and consequences) really start kicking in after May - so why not take the time to get this decision right?

Or maybe if I bought into the glass half empty view, just maybe in some twisted way Ottawa likes the drama and realizes that its' pointless wrestling with the recreational fishery pig in the mud, because we just like to wrestle no matter what the outcome - its good sport to us. Maybe they are resigned to realization we would find some reason to complain even if we got everything we asked for....perhaps they are just tired of the mud wrestling the pig and will make the decision in their own time.

So I plan to do more productive things while we wait...like work on my shop and get my boat ready. Besides, the lings are biting, as are the hali...and there are prawns to chase too.

Agree no use sitting in depressed mode. Nice day out to be off computer....

I concur. If I had access to Lings and Halis it wouldnt be as painful. Nothing beats fighting a thick chinook but at least I would be able to keep myself busy with other gamefish. The idiotic part of this DFO BS is that it now puts so much pressure on prawns and crabs in the vancouver/lower mainland region.
Lings are open everywhere on the coast as of May 1. Coho open in many areas on June 1. Prawns, crab and cod are open. Lots of people just like getting out on the water to interact with friends and fish - they still can.

Lings are open everywhere on the coast as of May 1. Coho open in many areas on June 1. Prawns, crab and cod are open. Lots of people just like getting out on the water to interact with friends and fish - they still can.
I thought coho was open may 1st?

Why is it that Coho are open in Van. and not Nanaimo?
Simple when you think about it. A combination of more potential voters in Vancouver plus you are more likely to catch a hammerhead shark than a legal size Coho at this time of year. And now the Feds can say, "what are you bitching about, salmon fishing is open".

Simple when you think about it. A combination of more potential voters in Vancouver plus you are more likely to catch a hammerhead shark than a legal size Coho at this time of year. And now the Feds can say, "what are you bitching about, salmon fishing is open".
You could catch a legal sized coho but you wouldn't even know it's there. Fuuuuun.

One of the very few areas open to hatchery retention of Coho...most other areas are closed until June 1.

Soooo, almost another week has passed and still nothing from DFO regarding our season, or lack of it this year. I wish I could view this as an opportunity to work on my boat, tie up more gear, spend a few hundred dollars running around trying to catch a ling or rock cod, but I guess I am just not a glass half full kind of guy. I view this as a slap in the face by a group of gutless political hacks, that have backed themselves into a corner and are sitting there afraid to do anything for fear of the consequences. I guess I'm just a glass half empty kind of guy.... so will join the silent majority and see how long this pathetic charade drags on.

I was checked by DFO on the water this past week. From what they've heard (enforcement officers) the powers that be won't be making a decision until June. They seemed pretty incredulous....

Back