Anyone from Vancouver Island?

P

piperca

I'm from Southern California and I am looking for a rebuilt diesel engine for my boat. I found a suitable replacement at a shop in Sidney, but I'd like to get some background about the shop. The shop's name is Tsehum Marine ... has anyone heard of this shop? What reputation does it have?

I'll be investing a few dollars in flying up to take a look at the engine, so I'd like to get enough information before I commit.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out!

Andrew

Howdy,

This is what I know and what I heard. If it's the same outfit as Tsehum Sterndrive (Westport Marina), I worked briefly for the previous owner (1982) Les as an apprentice mechanic. Les sold the business to Glen Ek who, sadly, passed a few years ago in a diving accident. Glen bought my old 18-foot Fiberform off me back in the 80's.

As far as I know his wife is carrying on with the business.
If I was doing anything diesel related, I'd talk to Fred or Gil at Wilson & Proctor here in Victoria; they really know their stuff and are very helpful. (250)385-3481

Hope this helps.

Terry

Thanks for the response!

They have a rebuilt Volvo Penta TAMD31 that I'd like to purchase for my twin setup, but there is no warranty and I can't get any feedback about the rebuild, since it was done by Glen.

I am looking for someone who is familiar with their shop and the work that they turn out. Also, the reputation the shop has in performing diesel rebuilds, especially around the time Glen was involved. Based upon the emails I have received from Christine, she seems like a very nice lady; however, she is not giving me much information (probably because she truly doesn't know) and I need a little more to go on before taking the plunge.

If anyone has anything further they can tell me, please chime in!

Thanks,
Andrew

I will send a message to a friend whose husband is a yaught broker somewhere close to there - perhaps he will know something. Personally, I hadn't even heard of the place...but it IS in the phone book :D

I'll post if I find anything.

Followup - no luck - he knows of it, but doesn't know anything about it....good luck

Back