wanted: twin 250 yamaha outboards - new or gently used

Last_Call

Hey guys, looking to repower my boat this offseason and I'm starting my search for new power. I'm looking for twin 250hp Yamaha's but would consider 225, 300 as well. I'd also consider Suzuki's if the right set becomes available. I've reached out to a handful of dealers so far and they do have some inventory coming in so I will likely be able to get new power at some point in the Fall / Winter but nothing is assured yet. If a nice used set of twins comes up between now and then I'm definitely open to that as well. I'll need new controls as well. Any leads on used (or new) power available now or in the coming couple months would be helpful.

pic of my boat's butt end attached. I'm hoping to get pod re-fabbed in Sept/Oct to accommodate twins as right now it's not set up for them.

Also wondering people's preferences on rigging, engine mounting; prop selection, etc. Anyone had any really good or bad experiences? I think my boat may require some tinkering with engine mount height and get the right prop so I'd love to use someone with a good reputation for that. thx in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_6237.jpg
    IMG_6237.jpg
    699 KB · Views: 135
Hey guys, looking to repower my boat this offseason and I'm starting my search for new power. I'm looking for twin 250hp Yamaha's but would consider 225, 300 as well. I'd also consider Suzuki's if the right set becomes available. I've reached out to a handful of dealers so far and they do have some inventory coming in so I will likely be able to get new power at some point in the Fall / Winter but nothing is assured yet. If a nice used set of twins comes up between now and then I'm definitely open to that as well. I'll need new controls as well. Any leads on used (or new) power available now or in the coming couple months would be helpful.

pic of my boat's butt end attached. I'm hoping to get pod re-fabbed in Sept/Oct to accommodate twins as right now it's not set up for them.

Also wondering people's preferences on rigging, engine mounting; prop selection, etc. Anyone had any really good or bad experiences? I think my boat may require some tinkering with engine mount height and get the right prop so I'd love to use someone with a good reputation for that. thx in advance!
That’s quite the step up in power, love to see it

From the picture it doesn’t look like your pod is wide enough for twins? 350 Verado or 300/350 zuk duoprop would be worth looking into.

Will your boat be able to handle twin 250’s?
hey @Aces ya, I've chatted with the original builder of the boat (guy who works at titan) and he's said it should be no problem in terms of strength of the pod (he overbuilt the transom and pod with 1/2" aluminum so it's a tank) and for the added weight he suggested I extend the pod slightly on each side (maybe 6-12" per side) to help with buoyancy a bit. The 300hp is a bit underpowered for my liking and I plan to do some trips to remote areas so want the twins for that.... and to go fast in general :)

Last edited:
From the picture it doesn’t look like your pod is wide enough for twins? 350 Verado or 300/350 zuk duoprop would be worth looking into.
it's not as is. I should have mentioned in original post that i'm having the pod re-fabricated this Fall to allow for twins.

hey @Aces ya, I've chatted with the original builder of the boat (guy who works at titan) and he's said it should be no problem in terms of strength of the pod (he overbuilt the transom and pod with 1/2" aluminum so it's a tank) and for the added weight he suggested I extend the pod slightly on each side (maybe 6-12" per side) to help with buoyancy a bit. The 300hp is a bit underpowered for my liking and I plan to do some trips to remote areas so want the twins for that.... and to go fast in general :)
Oh, I also believe in twins. Just curious as that’s a big jump up in weight

Any plans for the 300? How many hours? I was out at Bamfield on my buddies twins Yamaha 200 big blocks and they were great, good choice of an upgrade.

@Last_Call - what is your cut off for age / hours? I have a buddy who may be pulling a pair of 2006 F250's off of his boat with c. 1,900 hours. Would include controls as well.

Any plans for the 300? How many hours? I was out at Bamfield on my buddies twins Yamaha 200 big blocks and they were great, good choice of an upgrade.
No plans for the 300 so far. Once I get new power sourced I'll sort that part out. I'll have to check but I believe i'm around the 1,300-1,400 hour range, FYI.

@Last_Call - what is your cut off for age / hours? I have a buddy who may be pulling a pair of 2006 F250's off of his boat with c. 1,900 hours. Would include controls as well.
thx for the lead CB. I'm looking for new (or almost new) power with digital controls so I don't think your buddy's power will work for me. thx tho!

I'm with aces on the twins.
I seem to remember seeing the boat you bought for sale and would also caution that twin 250s might be a little overkill. A set of 150s will offer way more torque and holes hot that the single 300. There's no replacement for displacement, not to mention the redundancy of two big engines...... 200s are mostly cheater 150s that offer more top end. If you like to wind up your engines a set of 200s might be a better fit than the 250s. Guys run larger hulls on 200s quite happily. Just my 2 cents.

I'm with aces on the twins.
I seem to remember seeing the boat you bought for sale and would also caution that twin 250s might be a little overkill. A set of 150s will offer way more torque and holes hot that the single 300. There's no replacement for displacement, not to mention the redundancy of two big engines...... 200s are mostly cheater 150s that offer more top end. If you like to wind up your engines a set of 200s might be a better fit than the 250s. Guys run larger hulls on 200s quite happily. Just my 2 cents.
Is the caution because of the weight or some other reason? The weight difference between twin 200 and twin 250 yami's is 60-70lbs per engine. Not nothing but also not the end of the world IMO, especially considering the upside in terms of power, etc. That said, i'm not dead set on anything at this point so appreciate the comments and suggestions. I really like the idea of cruising very comfortably (under 4k rpm) at 30kts and I think twin 250's will allow that to happen. Time will tell I suppose.

Is the caution because of the weight or some other reason? The weight difference between twin 200 and twin 250 yami's is 60-70lbs per engine. Not nothing but also not the end of the world IMO, especially considering the upside in terms of power, etc. That said, i'm not dead set on anything at this point so appreciate the comments and suggestions. I really like the idea of cruising very comfortably (under 4k rpm) at 30kts and I think twin 250's will allow that to happen. Time will tell I suppose.

Before I make more assumptions and offer bad advice, remind me the dimensions of your hull? I want to say 25x8.5 plus extension. Tankage is relevant too.

Back