Anyone add an Icemaker?

Visions Electronics has good deals on countertop ice makers if you want to try it out.

what's the power draw on the ice maker vs the 12v cooler?
my gut tells me it draws too much unless your going to be running the generator, have a huge battery bank or lots of solar. even then im sceptical how much volume of ice it will make vs how fast it melts in the cooler. if it was just for drinks id say its a good idea but a cooler might be better

I'm thinking an icemaker may be a better solution than a 12v cooler. At only 26lbs it seems like a good way to keep things cold on multi-day trips. Has anyone added an icemaker to their boat? Looks like open box ones are about 150 USD. Rain on my parade?

I would guess the 110v? ice maker will consume a lot more power for the same amount of cooling. If you want ice for drinks then get the ice maker otherwise I would expect the 12v cooler will be more efficient.

I’d give it a whirl. At best it works like your hoping, worst case you have an ice maker at home and wont have to buy ice again.

Don’t think the ice machine would produce much ice when your pounding around in the slop either . Will likely go off on some sort of safety .

The ones I’ve seen on boats make on huge cube at the bottom of the tray. Kind of a pain in the butt.

Thanks guys. Definitely lots to think on. Appreciate you guys. If I still drank I’d be like f…. it run and come for days! I’m on the fence right now.
I saw one guy who had one on this 40 foot plus old chris craft, but he also had a desalination system and a massive generator. He could stay on the water indefinitely..

With solar guys are doing that, generator for the odd cloudy day.
He wouldn't have had solar on this old beauty. He reamed out a guy for grabbing his welded rails as he docked. He was a "don't touch my effing boat" kinda guy. Great gut on him. Had great rum too from what I remember. Sometimes the dock scene ain't so bad.

Back