Anti nausea patches

springnut

Has anybody used these, this year I seem to be feeling a bit green to easily. In general I fish alone and don't want to get too sedated and fall asleep at the wheel, turning a salmon trip into a tuna trip would not be fun.

Get the compound they have at the pharmacy way better then the patches. You can take at half hour before and starts working right away.

what all solutions are attempting to do is slow down the transmission of neural impulses from your inner ear and it's sloshing fluids to you brain, the reason you feel nauseous. by slowing down these transmissions, you ARE going to be drowsy. if you are alone, this could become a problem for you.

Bonamine doesn't make a person sleepy and any compounding pharmacy has it.

That's what I use (USA Walmart version) unless I'm a guest on someone else's boat. Then I use the patch or both. They both work. I did nod off for the first time ever with my hand on the tiller in Tofino last trip in calm sunny conditions and slow fishing. I'm blaming the bonamine. It also makes me pee often (pain in the butt when fishing in multiple layers and oilskins) causing dehydration and wicked muscle cramps if I don't drink enough water.

Has anybody used these, this year I seem to be feeling a bit green to easily. In general I fish alone and don't want to get too sedated and fall asleep at the wheel, turning a salmon trip into a tuna trip would not be fun.

I've used these patches. .they worked well..did not feel sleepy but I had very blurry vision for a couple/few days afterwards.. (p.s. do not touch/rub your eyes after touching patch.wash hands asap) .hence I went back to using gravol and ginger ale. .

Last edited by a moderator:
always been gravol for me. never really noticed the sleepy groggy feeling others report. maybe i'm imune. I usually take one just before heading out or 1/2 the night before and half the next morning... maybe the coffee counteracts the groggy feeling. never tried the other stuff but figure why fix it if it isn't broken...

Bonamine works. Ive had some of my best afternoon naps on the stuff. I think if your fishing alone you should stay out of the swells.

Use the patches and like them but only for Derbies or a couple of days were it is going to be bouncy and we will be fishing two day in a row. No problem with additional sleepiness but then I never fish alone and we have a quick nap if one of us needs it during a slow fishing time in good conditions and want to rest our eyes. The big plus is they will work for a couple of days fishing. The downside is that they are pricy and can get nocked off and some times be found stuck to you clothing especially around the neck area. Put them on at home and wash your hands well like a surgeon after you put them on and check them from time to time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Patches are the most effective IMO.
Usually keep a few on the boat for friends.
Make sure you put them on the night before.

Seasickness prevention varies with people. I used the patches last year in WCVI and this year at Nootka and had absolutely no problems with nausea the whole trip. A fellow fisher got really sick last year, even with the patch and could not fish most of the trip. I also have never experienced the drowsiness mentioned. Any sleepiness have been from waking up in the middle of the night to catch first light LOL. Like any other drugs (and remember the patch is just a slow release of a drug) individual reactions can vary. For me it works.

Back