Anti American sentiment in Port Hardy?

R

Reel Therapy

Let me state at the outset that I am an American and recently returned from my annual month long fishing trip to Port Hardy. Myself and several friends and family members come up every summer to fish and enjoy the beauty of Vancouver Island. I tow my boat up from Northern California and some of my friends fish with charters up there too. We have had several discussions around the campfire about being surprised at the attitudes and comments of some of the charter guides and other BC residents that seem to be anti-american in nature. One bumper sticker depicted a person urinating on the USA (**** on the USA). Usually the conclusion of our group is that there will always be a segment of society in any country that are ignorant or toxic. I know personally that we spend thousands of dollars in Port Hardy every summer and a good chunk of the BC economy is a result of American tourism. One thing that gives me solace is that even though there are ignorant and rude people out there, the opposite has been my experience too. For instance, Dave Connor and his son Richard who operate Starfish Charters are two of the nicest people you will ever meet. (And by the way Dave is probably one of the best fishermen out there and would be my first choice to recommend to anyone looking for a charter up there... he always gets fish even when others don't.) Also Jim at Hardy sports and Castle Rock charter is a nice guy too. The guys on that operate the Serengetti Charter are really good fishermen too and seem to be pleasant, friendly, and professional. Gotta love those Grady White boats they run. There are lots of locals that are always friendly too, like the lady that operates the hostel in town, can't remember her name but a nice lady. And George that operates the providence place Inn and restaurant is a real nice guy. Walter and Theresa at Sunny Sanctuary Campground are very hospitable too. Oh and Bob who works at the Keltic Ice plant and his wife Cathy were so warm and friendly... What I am trying to say is that there are so many good people up there that they far outweigh any negative ones... So make your plans now to visit Port Hardy and go out on a charter and have the time of your life. There are a lot of good and friendly folks up there. Cheers.

A fisherman is a fisherman is a fisherman, don't matter where he comes from or what blood he has in his veins.

"Some could care less if there's any fish left for our kids!"

Well you named a lot of good people that are canadien.just like american AND canadiens there are some that are just not nice people so we cant all paint them with one brush.
ps would you booo our nation anthem??? probablly not but americans did in a playoff game in cali. against our canucks with wille mitchell on the team which was born and raised in mcneil.
Resentment nah;););)

One thing you have to remember is the island used to be rich in logging with mills etc and thousands of up island people lost there jobs and now the log are being shipped RAW to the usa hence a lot of hate, softwood lumber tax which was illegal by the states which there supposed to pay back etc etc the list goes on an on I know from working up there they feel picked on by the usa!!! is it fair NO but it really hit those communities hard and they are stubborn, dont let it bother you it will take years to recover its the sign of the reccesion and its easier to blame.

I personally have a lot of friends tru working up there and still are you are good people, we just dont live in igloos though LOL LOL

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

I dont get the purpose of your post....You state that
quote:some of the charter guides and other BC residents
are anti American in nature and therefore jerks? . But then you laud a bunch more folks as being great people. Sort of sounds like any typical neighbourhood in both the US or Canada. Right?

While I have had to shake my head on several occasions at the behaviour of a small number of visitors and PH locals, I have, for the most part, found Port Hardy to be a welcoming community.

ps-- can I get part of the cash that the Chamber of Commerce paid you too!!! ????;)

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

"Well you named a lot of good people that are canadien.just like american AND canadiens there are some that are just not nice people so we cant all paint them with one brush."

I don't understand how you would get that from what was said. The author actually stated the majority of folk's up north are good people. We experienced the same on our trips to BC. People we didn't know camping next to us saying thing's like F-ing American's very loud so we could hear them and our boat was even vandalized at the dock by a "gentleman" who wanted our mooring spot, so they dragged our 20' aluminum down the dock, scraping a 4' gash in the side on a nail when there was plenty of moorage available at the time. Even just casually trying to talk fishing with the gentleman to be friendly, he actually said he was happy we hadn't caught anything. To be clear, have some great friends in BC that are the best kind of people, but as the author said, there does seem to be some true hatred of American's that is senseless in some area's. I can say that if someone from BC was fishing, or camping in my area's here in the State's, I wouldn't even blink twice, happy to have them here and I don't understand anyone who has a different attitude than acceptance, economy or no.

www.thepnw-outdoors.com

don't worry about them, just hoist a nice king salmon in there face and turn up the Miley Cyrus - Party in the USA[8D]

quote:Originally posted by demco99

don't worry about them, just hoist a nice king salmon in there face and turn up the Miley Cyrus - Party in the USA[8D]

Ignore the previous poster....he's an idiot........I unfortunately had this experience "first hand" with demco in the boat. He kept asking why we were just getting Kings and no Silvers?? As he looked at the stereo....he looked at me said "y'all like Miley Cyrus?? She's all that and a bag o' chips where I wish I came from; south of the ole 49th." [:eek:)] ;) [:p]

Great first Post. Just hope that your rant is the result of a 'BAD" day:) Served 10 years out of my 33 years service in the Canadian Military working with USAF personnel, never, never, had anything happen like you state. Many fond memories and may friendships formed. Three years at McChord AFB, and four years at Elmendrof AFB, and three years at a co-manning site in Canada. Got to admit, the fishing in Alaska was, is, better then Port Hardy. lol :D.....BB

there are idiots and a-holes all around this planet. unfortunately the loud, obnixious, demanding american is a well earned characterization. so far, on my trips up island i have only had the pleasure of interacting with 'regular' human beings. i suppose that sooner or later i will run into an obnixious canadian but i don't paint an entire nation on the basis of a single individual, hopefully you don't either.

i don't know where your softwood is being exported too but i can tell you that whole log export from port angeles has just fired up again. my guess is asia as the target which also impacts the local economy in our backyard.

fact is, **** has happened, the economy has been in the dumper for quite a while and lots of folks would rather kick the can about the 'good old days' instead of trying to move along with the flow, a tough assignment for many.

no worries, however, you jist keep catchin' our fish [8D]

Reel Therapy, I was born here and I get the same feeling sometimes. This treatment is not only reserved for our great American friends to the south, but, many people have experienced it from time to time, even locals. There is an entitlement attitude among a minority on the island that if your not from here, your not always welcome(infrequent but it happens). They want your $$, just not you. There are jerks everywhere and the Island was provided its allotment by the creator. Unfortunatly, its the jerks we tend to remember, not all the incredible people we've met, talked to, learned from and commiserated with about our great sport. Don't let whoever it was get to you. We're a pretty civil group overall.

Pescador

It's a strange occurrence one of which I have noticed most of my life.Having family in the US and allways visiting over the years,I have found that all things considered people are people and I have allways enjoyed the American spirit.But there does seem to be this underlying animosity toward Americans from a certain percentage of Canadians and sometimes very strongly expressed as if we are more righteous.This has been going on thru all presidential types.
It's like the Chihuahua constantly barking at the Great Dane because it's bigger.
There are obnoxious and loud Canadians too,particularily I have noticed when they are in Mexico,some seem to think they are superior due to wealth.So,for sure there are all kinds from all places and there are people who respect people from any country, race,religion and those that dont
All said and done,pass me a cold one and let's go fishin
And besides when I broke down in my boat at Port Hardy a couple of years ago and needed a tow in,a Canadian guy didnt want to do it,but the American boat didnt blink

PS

Dont mess with us Canadians about our hockey though or you're goin down

Fished next to you up there Reel Therapy! You seemed like great people. But one thing I noticed is you dident realise the usualy tack that we were doing and were many times just stopped right in our path or cutting across it. Just watch out for that.

Oh and BTW if you want a real thrill try a single action reel for salmon not those level wind things :p

Hope you enjoy the fishing.

-Steve

Sorry top hear about the anti-american you crossed paths with. I guess what comes around goes around though. On a past holiday to the Oregon coast we saw numerous bumper stickers that read:
"Thanks for visiting Oregon, Now Leave!!"

You have to love people who don't have the brains to understand tourism.

Extinction is Forever

this is true... it goe4s both ways though.

i did howeveer try to have a friendly conversation with one american at the dock last weekend. man what a *****. just asked how his day was goin and how long they were stayin for and he was just in a mood i guess? Probably thinks cause im 20 i should get respect? I dont know

bassblaster, years and years ago some one started the un-oregon greeting cards. all tongue in cheek with sentiments such as the bumper sticker you saw. the un-oregon joke has persisted to this day so don't take that sticker very seriously.

i think my favorite was a new map of oregon showing I5 coming up from california, turning east to idaho, then north to washington and back to its original track. the ad campaign was very successful in promoting tourism, BTW.

I always get US clients commenting on how friendly and nice people are up here. I always jokingly tell them we are no different then you guys. I figure there are 10% of the people worldwide who are a&*h%^es so you guys have 10 times more than we have. You just haven't bumped into any of ours yet, but you will if you stay long enough. Usually gets a chuckle.

The world seems to have just enough jerks scattered around that we do occasionally run into some. Anyone who wants to come up to our neck of the woods, and treats the land and waters with respect is more than welcome in my old eyes.
As far as disliking americans go, I only have one complaint. Why oh why did you folks get rid of Bush? I had such a good time picking on a bud down in San Antone about his fellow Texan.:D:D:D

Too much water, too little time

If Canada had 300 plus million people (God forbid) and was the single most powerful nation on earth, if Canada had (although being a tad late) basically made ALL the difference in WW2 basically saving the free world's collective butt, then backed down the Russians,etc.
If Canada was, as is the USA, capable of turning nearly all ethnicities into patriotic CANADIANS (not "canadiens" Wolf) instead of hyphenated Canadians.
We would still be humble and loving to those who would slag us.....not.

That being said, we are a wonderful nation who, whilst being protected by the powerful Eagle in that giant tree to the south, tend to act like insecure Chihuahuas at times.

Give credit where due and quit with the penis envy.

A liar will assume you are lying

quote:Originally posted by Mi Chica

The world seems to have just enough jerks scattered around that we do occasionally run into some. Anyone who wants to come up to our neck of the woods, and treats the land and waters with respect is more than welcome in my old eyes.
As far as disliking americans go, I only have one complaint. Why oh why did you folks get rid of Bush? I had such a good time picking on a bud down in San Antone about his fellow Texan.:D:D:D

Too much water, too little time

LOL :D

I used to love to read the daily "Bushism's".

www.thepnw-outdoors.com

Back