Another new old boat.

That will be a great fishing boat when you get her done. One of my boats Is the little sister to that one. I have a 16 foot 1979 that was the same orange, but the first owner had it painted blue over the Orange.

So at the shop my buddy did some major exploring with a small awl and a drill. Soft spot in the floor let water into the floor and saturated the foam. Not really an issue as it the plan is to put a fish hold in the floor. The soft spot in the floor actually lines up with the area the fish hold will be. Transom checked out good and the port side stringer is good. Starboard side stringer shows a spot of dry rot about 6"square. The stringers are made of stacked layers of plywood and the dry rot is present in about 2 layers of veneer(?) thick on the bilge side of the stbd stringer. It's about 8" from the transom and looks like from where a screw for maybe a wire clamp was. Plan is to carve it out and glass in a new piece in that small square. I'll try to get pics but it's at my buddies shop and our schedules sometimes don't match up.

And also, got a line on a 1990 Evinrude 140 VRO. I'm a mercury guy so don't know what I should be looking out for on an Evinrude.

Last edited by a moderator:
Things have kind of stalled out here. Slowly gathering bits and pieces or refurbishing what I have. Boats stripped and still at my buddy Brian's. His closest family member had a stroke about a week and a bit ago and everything over there is chaos. Probably be a couple more weeks until I have some time of my own as I'm filling in for a guys holidays at the metal shop where I used to work. Also busy in the shop here at the house. Picked up a parts boat with a 140 Johnson VRO but I'm starting to think it's better as a parts motor. Seems to have a lot of little electrical issues. Tilt trim motor and on again off again spark being the first ones I'm trying to track down. I'm thinking/hoping it will be some time in early April before I'll really be able to start putting it back together. But I'm also starting to get hints it's time to start on the house renos. Our house was built in the 40s so thats a whole different story. Did decide to change the color. I think instead of white and black we're going to go navy blue hull and roof with white deck and bottom.

Found a bit of time and headed over to my buddies to cut the hole in the floor for a fish locker. Opening is 12"x48" and the hold itself is 50"x20"x13" deep. Unfortunately found a bit more rot at the forward end of the stbd stringer. Not sure what I'm going to do there yet. Maybe marry a new piece of marine plywood right over the whole thing and glass over it? My buddies has an idea and is going to do some work on it this evening. At some point in the boats life, someone drilled 1" holes in the floor and sprayed in foam. Removed that and cut and fitted the end panels. Need to figure some kind of drain system from the bow to the bilge. And another from the fish hold. Something with a boat it I think. Don't want slimy fish water getting out of the hold and under the floor. But I do want to be able to wash everything out of the fish locker into the bilge and out of the bilge through the drain.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I think boat length depends on whether you're bragging to your buddies how big your's is or whether you're at the ferry fare ticket booth trying to buy a ticket.

*Or submit a moorage application*

Found a bit of time and headed over to my buddies to cut the hole in the floor for a fish locker. Opening is 12"x48" and the hold itself is 50"x20"x13" deep. Unfortunately found a bit more rot at the forward end of the stbd stringer. Not sure what I'm going to do there yet. Maybe marry a new piece of marine plywood right over the whole thing and glass over it? My buddies has an idea and is going to do some work on it this evening. At some point in the boats life, someone drilled 1" holes in the floor and sprayed in foam. Removed that and cut and fitted the end panels. Need to figure some kind of drain system from the bow to the bilge. And another from the fish hold. Something with a boat it I think. Don't want slimy fish water getting out of the hold and under the floor. But I do want to be able to wash everything out of the fish locker into the bilge and out of the bilge through the drain.

View attachment 17030

View attachment 17031

View attachment 17032

Nice Boat!

One day maybe. Right now it's just a hull. Somebody once said "what I need the most of and have the least of is time."
That's me. Not too much spare time. I promised myself after Easter, I'll take some time off.

The interior of your boat is very similar to mine. Same size but i have a bow rider. Its a 175 malibu. Ive tried to utilize every inch of space for storage so if you have any questions or need some ideas, lemme know and i can post up some pics.

Yes storage space is pretty sparse. I'm always interested in seeing pics of similar boats. I'm especially interested in what you did at the back of the boat. Mine had/has a kind of vinyl curtain that snaps on and hangs down to cover the fuel tanks. Up front I plan on going with a couple swivel seats per side on storage boxs. Something about the size of the original sleeper seat bases. Far down the road yet but I'm always thinking of ways to make it better.

So a while back I bought a parts boat for the motor and trailer.

image.jpg

Took today and my Dad and I went over it to see if we could sort out the electrical problems. Fully charged the battery and cleaned all the connections on the starting circuit an she starts and runs awesome. Not so lucky on the tilt trim motor. Connections were pretty dirty and we cleaned them up nicely. Still won't work reliably. Sometimes works. Sometimes doesn't. Takes a sharp rap with a plastic hammer sometimes before it will move. Either up or down. Think the tilt motors pooched.

Once we strip the motor, controls ect off the donor boat it will be time to start on the trailer.

image.jpg

My boats supposed to be back from the auto body shop next week. Hope to have this one stripped and gone before then.

Picking it up Friday. Dropping of the parts boat hull at the landfill and rolling by my buddies with the empty trailer. Need to change a couple rollers and adjust the trailer to fit my boat but that shouldn't take too long. Then it's time to buckle down and put it together. Times wasting and our island trips only 7 weeks away. Still have to work to pay the bills in there too. Got a new fuse box and some switches off of ebay and ordered up the trim motor for the 140 Johnson. In the meantime out in the shop I built some stainless thru hulls and cleaning table sockets also made a quick manual trap puller. Basically a bigger stainless version of a scotty puller. Something I'm forgetting I there. Been checking out newer kickers too. My current motor is a mid eighties 7.5 electric start merc but I thought I'd go a little newer. Price was a consideration but the weight of the newer motors is quite a bit more than the 70lbs this motor weighs. Not sure what I'm going to do there yet. I don't have a lot of experience welding aluminum but want to try to build a solid mount kicker bracket. Similar to what JeffyWestCoast has on his boat. If I have time. I'm trying to hold off selling my K&C untill this ones together. Just incase it's not ready in time for our trip. I sure hope it is though. Our little boats just that. Little. Anyway. Friday I'll post up a few pics of the new paint. Not as dark of blue as I thought it was going to be. Turned out nice though. Believe it or not I accidentally erased all the pics of this project from the strip down to the paint job trying to make a new photo file. Made me feel sick when I realized what I'd done. All I have are the picks on this thread of the original boat. Stupid. I did it before with this phone so I should know better. Anyway, new pics coming this weekend. Then there should be regular updates.

Picking it up Friday. Dropping of the parts boat hull at the landfill and rolling by my buddies with the empty trailer. Need to change a couple rollers and adjust the trailer to fit my boat but that shouldn't take too long. Then it's time to buckle down and put it together. Times wasting and our island trips only 7 weeks away. Still have to work to pay the bills in there too. Got a new fuse box and some switches off of ebay and ordered up the trim motor for the 140 Johnson. In the meantime out in the shop I built some stainless thru hulls and cleaning table sockets also made a quick manual trap puller. Basically a bigger stainless version of a scotty puller. Something I'm forgetting I there. Been checking out newer kickers too. My current motor is a mid eighties 7.5 electric start merc but I thought I'd go a little newer. Price was a consideration but the weight of the newer motors is quite a bit more than the 70lbs this motor weighs. Not sure what I'm going to do there yet. I don't have a lot of experience welding aluminum but want to try to build a solid mount kicker bracket. Similar to what JeffyWestCoast has on his boat. If I have time. I'm trying to hold off selling my K&C untill this ones together. Just incase it's not ready in time for our trip. I sure hope it is though. Our little boats just that. Little. Anyway. Friday I'll post up a few pics of the new paint. Not as dark of blue as I thought it was going to be. Turned out nice though. Believe it or not I accidentally erased all the pics of this project from the strip down to the paint job trying to make a new photo file. Made me feel sick when I realized what I'd done. All I have are the picks on this thread of the original boat. Stupid. I did it before with this phone so I should know better. Anyway, new pics coming this weekend. Then there should be regular updates.

You could at least double your price of the stainless parts your supplying folks bud :cool:. That would help with your woes :). (You have been under selling by a long shot man).

But then again, I don't know what I'm talking about lol :D.

Not sure where that's coming from? I use the same formula to figure my prices as the company I learned my trade. Material cost times two and add 15%. I own all my own equipment outright and have zero overhead. Buy my materials at. Cost from my buddy and my pricing retail out the door mirrors his wholesale. The only difference between me and him is I do one offs and he does production runs. And he has a lot more mistakes made by inexperienced workers. Not sure why I feel the need to justify myself but there it is. Interested in having something built? Let me know and I'll charge a realistic rate for a good product.

Got a call from my buddy at the landfill and was able to slide on in there early this AM. Dropped the parts hull and headed on over to pick up my boat. Trailer set up took a lot longer than I thought due to bent roller arms. Good think I'm a packrat and have a couple other trailers I use for parts. Sunday I'll fit the windshield and install the controls and steering. Need to have the windows installed to fit the roof. Once that's done, it's a cake walk. image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 594
She's a boat again. Time to fit the top. Need to cut all new wood so it'll be off and on a few times before I get just right.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hey thanks everyone. Hard to believe but it is the same boat. My buddy deserves all the credit though. He did all the work. All I did was pick the paint color. Strip it down and sand it. Got a bad flu so stayed home today and cut some UHMW strips that I'll use to attach the roof. Was wood originally but I have the UMHW on hand and I don't want to have to replace them again. Nice dash eh? Notice the tape deck hole is gone? I'm not too fond of the folding wood glovebox door that came from the factory but I think I'll paint it and use it anyway. Hole under the tach is for a cigarette lighter but it still hasn't come in yet. Waiting for some switches and warning lights to come in too. My buddy has some pressing orders at his shop so I promised him I'd work out there the rest of the week. I do 10 hr shifts when I'm there so no more boat stuff until the weekend.

Back