And so it begins....

I agree,stunning lines for an aluminum boat.I've always been a sucker for a dropped shear line,it really adds to the profile of the boat,great build.

Thanks Stizzla!

The hull and cab design is the thing that made my decision in the end. I looked at a lot of boats aluminum and glass as well as custom built or production. I had 6 boats on my short list in the end. Again for me this was a more purpose built boat. Some of the boats on my list had more of some things and less of others and people would question one over the other but each to their own. I will still add and modify this boat once I have it in my hot little hands.....but it ticks 90% on the boxes on my list.

And ....yes....he does build them one at a time. This is for a few reasons including shop space and his willingness or lack of to not do things himself. He does source a few things out like upholstery that he did do in the past. I think he did tackle 2 of his 22’ models for a lodge up north once but they were more basic builds and was able to squeeze them both In the shop.

If you are out if Renfrew this year you will have to come check it out! :)

I agree,stunning lines for an aluminum boat.I've always been a sucker for a dropped shear line,it really adds to the profile of the boat,great build.

I agree Rayvon.... but I’m sort of biased! Lol. It is much harder to match the smooth lines of a glass boat but he is close. I know I mentioned his last build that I saw in the summer. It was the first one that they had wrapped the hull down to the bottom paint line. The thicker wrap took all the little imperfections out and you would of swore it was fibreglass. Not sure how it will last but pretty shiny out of the box!

So is the boat being wrapped? Any colours or designs/graphics?

I’m not going to wrap or paint the hull. The part from the deck to the waterline takes the most abuse from nets...gaffs...cannon balls and halibut anchoring...imo. I am either painting or wrapping the cabin after I find out some pricing and swing a few of my ideas at them. I have seen a few colours that I think will be good. Mostly the standard ones....white....dark grey or charcoal. I have an idea going with black depending on if I go with a particular boat name. The flat surfaces on the bow and gunnels will be black Non skid. I have a bit of time before I make the call. I might be making another trip out to see it in person before the last of the finishing gets done.

Keep in mind black, especially on a pilothouse boat turns into a bit of an oven in the summer sun. A lighter colour will make a big difference. Very nice boat. There used to be a 26 at my old marina, pretty sure from the same builder, that was the best looking alloy boat I ever saw.

Keep in mind black, especially on a pilothouse boat turns into a bit of an oven in the summer sun. A lighter colour will make a big difference. Very nice boat. There used to be a 26 at my old marina, pretty sure from the same builder, that was the best looking alloy boat I ever saw.

For sure ryanb....I think I'll leave the black off the list. It was a bit of an idea I had on a particular boat name that I thought would of looked best. The roof will be insulated but black will still build up the heat on a sunny day. There are a few of his boats around....nice to know it looked good! :)

Another idea worth borrowing is how he mounted a large piece of black starboard on stand offs under there. Nice to have a flat surface to lay everything out. Also you can bolt everything in place and get stuff off the ground. In his design with big scupper channels that are fully welded there shouldn’t be any water in there. However....water is magical stuff and always finds a way to get in at least a bit.

I just may borrow that idea as well. Thanks.

This boat is amazing! Keep the updates coming!

I had a good chat with the builder yesterday about some of the smaller details that are yet to be completed. He sent me a few pictures of the finished edge of the cabin roof line and sides. Not really exciting but it is another thing that is complete. Lots of glare in the pictures but you get the idea...

Attachments

• pic162.jpg
    pic162.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 252
  • pic163.jpg
    pic163.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 251
Another update pic today. There seems to be some confusion on the rocket launchers. I had asked for 8 and as you can see that is not the case. I got back to him right away after I got the picture but there has been radio silence since...lol I'm sure he is busy correcting it and not ignoring me. All kidding aside he has been more than excellent to deal with so it's a bit of a ribbing in case he happens to read this thread some day? :)

I can also see that he tacked what I believe he calls the electronics shelf inside the cab above the windshield. It serves a few purposes. Some people like to mount their stuff up there and angle them down towards the captains seat . It also sort of hides the wiper motors and ties into the 2 pipe supports he bends on each side of the center window. They act as a conduit to hide wiring that is run to anything up there or to the roof for Radar and lights...etc

Attachments

• pic164.jpg
    pic164.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 254
  • pic165.jpg
    pic165.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Another update pic today. There seems to be some confusion on the rocket launchers. I had asked for 8 and as you can see that is not the case. I got back to him right away after I got the picture but there has been radio silence since...lol I'm sure he is busy correcting it and not ignoring me. All kidding aside he has been more than excellent to deal with so it's a bit of a ribbing in case he happens to read this thread some day? :)

I can also see that he tacked what I believe he calls the electronics shelf inside the cab above the windshield. It serves a few purposes. Some people like to mount their stuff up there and angle them down towards the captains seat . It also sort of hides the wiper motors and ties into the 2 pipe supports he bends on each side of the center window. They act as a conduit to hide wiring that is run to anything up there or to the roof for Radar and lights...etc
Net holder plan? I can be it if you need.

Well this is the solution we came up with to address the number of rocket launchers I wanted. It’s different than I originally plannned but looks good in the end. It will also give me a center rod holder in the shotgun position for hopefully doing some Tuna fishing! :)

Also it looks like he has insulated the cabin ceiling.

Attachments

• F05A9ABC-15C3-43B9-A4AD-2BBB1487EE4C.jpeg
    F05A9ABC-15C3-43B9-A4AD-2BBB1487EE4C.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 310
Back