Anchovies, stingers or not?

Don't use stingers,like Felix, just the good strong Gamis. That being said,I don't use bait much these days with all the good spoons and hootchies out there. But,one has to go prepared with everything to offer the silver beasts if they are fussy!!

Treble hook sizes have been discussed time and time again, but what size hooks do people use when running a stinger?

I am currently running #2 3x strong treble with 4/0 stinger on 40lb Seaguar leader.

Have never tried the wire, but thought about it many times.

Trebles shouldn't be used to salmon fish, if we want to be responsible and reduce mortality of fish intended to be released. I know people won't agree with my post but that's just my honest opinion..

Tandem 4/0 hooks... Slightly harder to rig but works just fine.

Trebles shouldn't be used to salmon fish, if we want to be responsible and reduce mortality of fish intended to be released. I know people won't agree with my post but that's just my honest opinion.. Tandem 4/0 hooks... Slightly harder to rig but works just fine.
I have never ever been able to produce the correct roll with singles and Believe Me I tried for years.

The bait always ended up with something of a corkscrew roll that only produced occasionally so I went back to a small treble sometime with a stinger.

As mentioned above though bait is only really necessary in certain extra tough situations most of the time you don't need it and the savings from not being gouged every time you head out really helps the budget.

One thing about this debate that puzzles me is those that suggest big trebles are better than small ones. My understanding of the physics of point size, surface area, and energy required to sink the hook is smaller is better.

This guy agrees with me.
http://www.topfishingsecrets.com/a/Mighty Big Thing about Small Hooks1.pdf

Besides larger hook beside not penetrating as well, they will have greater momentum when the fish shakes his head and so will more likely fall out, since we all use barbless hooks.
However, big chinook can bend the hooks, so the wire cannot be too thin, and so some penetration must be sacrificed. So I use size 2 (not 2/0 !) 2x or 4x trebles for anchovies. They do not affect the roll, do not make a big hole in the bait, are less easily seen by the fish, easier to inhale by the fish, and lodge in the roof of the mouth or the tongue really well.

And for those little shakers that insist on grabbing your 6'' anchovy, the smaller hook causes less damage prior to release.

If the small treble hook is towards the back of the bait, I cannot see the advantage or purpose of the stinger. But like Rockfish says this debate will never end…….

Last edited by a moderator:
Its all about what you use to make that sexy roll. One big treble is how I do my best roll. Id rather have 5 or 6 more strikes and sacrifice one hook up then hook up once with a sloppy roll.

-kk

Got all my 8 - 18 to 26 lb chinooks on the single trailer hook today when others were missing their bites

;)

Got all my 8 - 18 to 26 lb chinooks on the single trailer hook today when others were missing their bites

;)

And there you go,, can't argue with results.

The roll thing is questionable at best. How would you know if it is the roll that isn't perfect that causes lack of bites.. There is no such thing as the perfect roll anyways, every one of us on here has a different roll and yet many of us have equal results when running bait so which one is the perfect roll,, well other than mine of course. And well I can get mine just as good with or without the single trailer,, do it all the time.

And there you go,, can't argue with results.

The roll thing is questionable at best. How would you know if it is the roll that isn't perfect that causes lack of bites.. There is no such thing as the perfect roll anyways, every one of us on here has a different roll and yet many of us have equal results when running bait so which one is the perfect roll,, well other than mine of course. And well I can get mine just as good with or without the single trailer,, do it all the time.

I only use trailers when they are nipping the tails off the anchovies but prefer to just use a single treble

I also will add a trailer to my rig if they are nipping at the tail. But in general id say 95% of the time I run a single treble

I run tandem 4/0 single hooks, and catch about 1/3 of my springs on the stinger. I personally hate trebles, and would never use a treble for a stinger because of the risk of sinking multiple hooks into small fish. As for breaking off the occasional stinger in the net, I snell all of my gear, so I just pop on another rigged teaser, and salvage the hook and swivel for a retie.

No Stinger hook = Bigger fish. It took a few years to realize that if your chasing fish over 15 lbs a stinger hook is not required. Big fish swallow baits, never caught a spring over 20 lbs on just the stinger hook, only the ones that don't deserve a picture! lol Just think about how many times you've had your 40 lb leader sawed off, I'm positive it wasn't from a coho a stinger hook wouldn't of helped.

You also achieve a more consistent natural roll and catch less weeds with one treble. Just saying

I have always felt that a stinger helps you catch more fish. I have fished with friends who don't use one on their bait and watched as they loose few fish in a row.

One thing I did this year, was increase the size of my stinger and went with a red one. I had always used a smaller stinger, as I felt it kept the roll better on the choive, but this year I went larger a red stinger hook. I don't if it was coincidence, but I had one of best years on Chinook, both on the inside and outside this season. I thought the red hook added a bit attraction, when I watched it roll in the water and the larger hook held better.

I have always felt that a stinger helps you catch more fish. I have fished with friends who don't use one on their bait and watched as they loose few fish in a row.

One thing I did this year, was increase the size of my stinger and went with a red one. I had always used a smaller stinger, as I felt it kept the roll better on the choive, but this year I went larger a red stinger hook. I don't if it was coincidence, but I had one of best years on Chinook, both on the inside and outside this season. I thought the red hook added a bit attraction, when I watched it roll in the water and the larger hook held better.

I also like a red stinger. I'm well aware that red disappears high in the water column, but it still looks like whatever shade of gray red appears as at that depth. I have to laugh at the earlier suggestion that fish over 15 pounds are never caught on just the stinger. I've caught a lot of springs that blow that theory to hell!

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to share a pic from yesterday. Without the Stinger, I wouldn't have had a chance at this 27# girl, even though she didn't just nibble.Why I use Stingers re.jpg

I use tandem trebles for springs with only an inch of line between the two hooks. The front one is set into the bait towards the rear of the anchovy and the trailer does just that...rest alongside the tail but is not set into the bait. For Coho/Sockeye/Pinks I use bait or lures/hootchies with a single hook.

Back