Anchor Line Length?

S

SnowDog

Greetings!

I am setting up my boat to do some anchoring for Halibut and I would like to get some advice on the length of line you all use. Since 3x depth is about the minimum I was thinking about 200 or 250 meters (600 - 800 feet).

Thanks for the advice!
SD

"Plus ça change
Plus c'est la même chose"

when your fishing by anchoring. your not anchoring a boat like you would to leave it or spend the night. your hooking your boat to the bottom in order to stay in one spot. for this 50 feet deeper than your depth is plenty. all your doing with an excess of line is swinging in a huge circle when the current changes.

You can get away with only 50 ft. deeper than your depth, however your angle from your buoy to your anchor becomes very steep, you have to make sure you have a very long and heavy chain on your anchor to make sure the anchor chain lays flat on the bottom pulling your anchor flat so it can properly set. If not enough chain, when the current picks up your chain will lift and your anchor will slip along. Get a heavy duty length (10ft.?) of heavy gauge chain and add it to the front of your original anchor chain to the anchor. No more anchor slipping!

Edited by - TheRock on 04/17/2006 10:06:08

Back