All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently RCMP are doing spot checks on water, and ramps for this. Some guy is talking about this on Facebook right now. It makes sense right now not a time to put buddies on your boat.

Apparently if your caught, and people not as same residence and it is mandatory 14 days in quarantine.

Apparently RCMP are doing spot checks on water, and ramps for this. Some guy is talking about this on Facebook right now. It makes sense right now not a time to put buddies on your boat.
I saw this RCMP ship with a big arch out by passage Friday. They launched a RIB and landed on island. Looked like a big operation to hand out a SD fine.

I saw this RCMP ship with a big arch out by passage Friday. They launched a RIB and landed on island. Looked like a big operation to hand out a SD fine.

RCMP helicopter has been flying out over the water the past few days as well.

Apparently if your caught, and people not as same residence and it is mandatory 14 days in quarantine.
The RCMP are all over people coming out of Sidney. Either stopping and checking residence, as well as ensuring no one is heading out camping or touring the gulf islands. As well as just buzzing by everyone else. My guess is checking for smugglers as well, because the borders are shut down.

Well they flat out lied about the masks in the beginning to stock up on what they had. I could understand their thinking there.
I understand it...but I also have a real problem with that. In an attempt to very briefly slow the public purchase of n95 masks - which rapidly became impossible anyway as every major supplier of certified masks earmarked everything for institutional sales only - organizations like the WHO and various CDCs told everyone that wearing a mask wouldn't help protect you, which is of course an absolute lie, and often tossed in this silliness about how hard it is to actually use an n95 mask as cover which is of course absurd as everyone who's ever had to wear one knows; you can learn to do it perfectly in about thirty seconds.

So this extremely short term goal of minutely increasing the supply of n95 masks - minutely because the competition for buying them wasn't really coming from the general public, it was coming from other medical supply chains, so they got a handful back from retail suppliers but not many - was sufficient for them to directly, openly lie about the steps we could take to reduce the spread of this thing.

What's really screwed up about that is that since the buying competition for masks wasn't really coming from the public, it means that the net result may well have been the exact opposite of the theoretical desired outcome, slowing the spread of Chinese Coronavirus. If from the very outset they'd said "we desperately need n95 masks for doctors, nurses and paramedics, and governments and medical institutions around the world are buying up every last mask from every certified manufacturer so you won't find anything on the market, but to reduce your personal risk, wear a simple cloth mask over your face in public...it's not as good as an n95 but it's better than nothing" we probably would have slowed the spread AND reduced the threat to doctors and nurses because people would have been showing up to the doctor with a cloth mask on that would have at least reduced the droplet spray pathway from coughing or sneezing.

So in exchange for openly lying to us about how best to protect ourselves. and actively trying to persuade people not to do something that would genuinely have lowered their risk, and then later having to reveal this deception and the associated loss of trust that anyone with a memory should be experiencing...they not only may have gotten nothing, they may have made the situation worse.

That's profoundly screwed up and I hate this idea that we should accept that our public bodies are free to lie to us if it means we'll do what they want more efficiently. I'm completely against that concept.

Of course everyone is free to disagree and plenty of people do but for me there's just no higher principle to adhere to than governance by informed consent, and simply allowing them to lie means there is no informed consent. The goal should never be to do what we are told, the goal should always be to do what is right and we should be demanding the information that makes it easiest to discern what's right.

I understand it...but I also have a real problem with that. In an attempt to very briefly slow the public purchase of n95 masks - which rapidly became impossible anyway as every major supplier of certified masks earmarked everything for institutional sales only - organizations like the WHO and various CDCs told everyone that wearing a mask wouldn't help protect you, which is of course an absolute lie, and often tossed in this silliness about how hard it is to actually use an n95 mask as cover which is of course absurd as everyone who's ever had to wear one knows; you can learn to do it perfectly in about thirty seconds.

So this extremely short term goal of minutely increasing the supply of n95 masks - minutely because the competition for buying them wasn't really coming from the general public, it was coming from other medical supply chains, so they got a handful back from retail suppliers but not many - was sufficient for them to directly, openly lie about the steps we could take to reduce the spread of this thing.

What's really screwed up about that is that since the buying competition for masks wasn't really coming from the public, it means that the net result may well have been the exact opposite of the theoretical desired outcome, slowing the spread of Chinese Coronavirus. If from the very outset they'd said "we desperately need n95 masks for doctors, nurses and paramedics, and governments and medical institutions around the world are buying up every last mask from every certified manufacturer so you won't find anything on the market, but to reduce your personal risk, wear a simple cloth mask over your face in public...it's not as good as an n95 but it's better than nothing" we probably would have slowed the spread AND reduced the threat to doctors and nurses because people would have been showing up to the doctor with a cloth mask on that would have at least reduced the droplet spray pathway from coughing or sneezing.

So in exchange for openly lying to us about how best to protect ourselves. and actively trying to persuade people not to do something that would genuinely have lowered their risk, and then later having to reveal this deception and the associated loss of trust that anyone with a memory should be experiencing...they not only may have gotten nothing, they may have made the situation worse.

That's profoundly screwed up and I hate this idea that we should accept that our public bodies are free to lie to us if it means we'll do what they want more efficiently. I'm completely against that concept.

Of course everyone is free to disagree and plenty of people do but for me there's just no higher principle to adhere to than governance by informed consent, and simply allowing them to lie means there is no informed consent. The goal should never be to do what we are told, the goal should always be to do what is right and we should be demanding the information that makes it easiest to discern what's right.
Why assume that people are lying. People are doing the best they can with the tools they have in a fast moving and rapidly changing situation.I asked a couple health care professionals I know about masks a few weeks ago. The answer I was given is that if you are infected, every time you touch your mask, you have concentrated virus on your hands and now everything you touch gets contaminated. In professional use, the masks are specially fitted as well. The idea now is to wear them to prevent transmission to others. If someone coughs or sneezes in your face you can absorb it through your eyes. I just can’t understand these perspectives that people in health care are lying. Mistakes get made in situations like this.

its just stupid. tons of masks are available. home depot has p95 3M half face organic vapor paint respirators. those are better than n95 masks and you can even buy the much better p100s online.
everyone should be wearing a half face respirator. the only thing it doesnt protect is other people from your exhalations if youre infected (they have a simple one way exhale valve) which makes them useless in a medical setting but perfect for the general public to wear since it protects the individual. plus they are more comfortable than cloth masks and designed to be worn for long durations. most people likely have a few in their tool drawers already. just mandate them with glasses/sunglasses and everyone will be fine.

I agree with everything you're saying. I just try and not care about thing's I can't change. I do this for my own mental health not for an actual lack of care. Sheep need to be herded, some of us are lucky enough to not need that guidance.

What I have learned is just how non essential air travel is.

you mean for you i guess? cause its absolutely vital for me, my family and tens of thousands of Canadians i know of. for me i'd say i've reaffirmed how non essential most media is and especially social media like facebook etc.. it's certainly interesting how priorities change during something like this. a learning experience to say the least

you mean for you i guess? cause its absolutely vital for me, my family and tens of thousands of Canadians i know of. for me i'd say i've reaffirmed how non essential most media is and especially social media like facebook etc.. it's certainly interesting how priorities change during something like this. a learning experience to say the least

It was a generalization don’t read to much into it. I realize that it’s s need for some.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/closing-border-sooner-buy-in-1.5528515

"Slowly, you have to change people's thinking ... that takes time. It takes evidence. You have to prove to people that it's serious." (Canada Health official)

Revelations being unearthed daily, that Trudeau's team sprang into action with the speed of molasses. So a Canada Health sycophant and the CBC team up to save our dear leader. The truth, it seems, is that it was all our fault. Our minds needed changing before we would respond adequately.

Well, that certainly describes the actions of Trudeau's team of experts. Their minds changed every other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back