Alexandra Morton

BC is in the Pink! Thank you all.

As I cruise the waters of northern Vancouver Island, near Sointula, Port McNeill, Alert Bay and the Broughton, fat and sassy little pink salmon are leaping and wriggling everywhere. I thought I would never see this again. These fish are a powerhouse - feeding watersheds throughout the south coast, growing trees, wildlife, tourism and people. I want to give thanks to everyone who made fish farms reduce their sea lice. If the lice levels I discovered in Broughton in 2001 and off Campbell River in 2005 had persisted these salmon would not be here. I would be happy to debate any person, government, company or organization on this anytime, anywhere!

I want to caution you that this is temporary. The scientists I met in Norway warned me: DO NOT RELY ON DRUGS. All parasites whether boll weevils, head lice or sea lice become resistant to drugs. Using chemicals against pests is an arms race we humans lose every time. These fish farms must be removed from the Fraser River migration route before the few sockeye eggs being laid this fall hatch and go to sea. However, we have bought time and in no particular order I have to thank:

The Broughton First Nation Villages who are standing strong against renewal and expansion of salmon farm licenses, Gilford, Kingcome and Hopetown.

Chief Bob Chamberlin of the Broughton who has filed a class-action suit against the fish farms and is a powerful voice for wild salmon in BC.

The Musgamagw Tribal Council, The Coastal Alliance for Aquaculture Reform, Wilderness Tourism Association, Raincoast Conservation, Friends of Clayoquot Sound, Western Wilderness Committee, Save Our Salmon, Wild Salmon Circle who have each added significantly and relentlessly in different ways to bring this to the public, pressuring politicians who seem unable to act and get Marine Harvest to actively reduce their lice to allow this generation of pink salmon to reach the open ocean.

The late Dr. Ransom Myers, and Drs. Rick Routledge, Larry Dill, Martin Krkosek, John Volpe, Mark Lewis for the powerful scientific effort with me towards understanding of the impact of fish farms.

Steve Bergh and Jody Erikisson for years of work in the Discovery Islands helping us understand sea lice infection rates on pinks, chums, sockeye and herring around the fish farms.

Young biologists from throughout British Columbia who have volunteered on the science projects on fish farm.

The nine hundred small donors to www.adopt-a-fry.org <http://www.adopt-a-fry.org> who have fueled my legal challenge to Provincial regulation of fish farms with their ten and twenty dollar bills.

Through this effort and brilliance one salmon farm company began de-lousing their fish to protect the pink salmon. Unfortunately the drug of choice, SLICE, only works for about 6 weeks and so the later runs of sockeye were not thus protected. Earlier this week the Provincial government quietly announced they are pulling out of fish farm regulation. That leaves the federal government holding the now red-hot potato. The federal government managed our cod to commercial extinction and so our work is cut out for us to save the salmon, but at least now the DFO is solely responsible. No more passing the buck. That the Province bailed so soon after the sockeye collapse does make me wonder what they know about this.

If we want our wild sockeye there must be full accounting of disease on every fish farm from Campbell River to Port Hardy in 2007 when these fish went to sea. Only the sockeye that migrated past these farms are in collapse. While there are indeed many impacts, Norwegian fish farm companies have become gatekeepers to our salmon runs. Whether we get our wild salmon home hinges on what the fish farmers do. DFO MUST now apply the Fisheries Act to fish farms www.adopt-a-fry.org <http://www.adopt-a-fry.org> .

In my successful legal challenge Judge Hinkson ruled fish farms are a fishery. All the other fisheries; commercial, sport and First Nation, have been told by DFO to reduce their fisheries on sockeye and the salmon farm fishery must do the same. Salmon farms do not belong on BC’s most valuable and important wild salmon migration route – the Fraser sockeye. Halfway measures will not work.

Thank you to all who have brought us the miracle of the life-sustaining runs of beautiful pink salmon home to British Columbia. Clearly we can bring our wild salmon back, lets get on with it!

Joyfully,

Alexandra Morton

http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/

you have got to be kidding me.Morton is taking credit for the pinks return!!???

does the arrogance of this elitist heiress from Boston know no bounds?

The pinks are back exactly as predicted by DFO fishery scientists back in 2001 when AM was crying extinction if all farms were not removed. she was also calling the DFO scientists liars and dolts. She got reprimanded for that by the Registered professional bios association.

The pinks had record returns back in 2000- 15 years after fish farming began- and following their normal boom and bust cycles they have gradually rebuilt.

Instead of congratulating herself maybe AM can go about explaining the stupidity of her assertion that the Fraser River sockeye stocks were effected by the fish farms DESPITE the pink runs- a mere stones throw from the fish farms- are rebounding as predicted by everyone with any shred of fisheries experience.

Too bad the millions wasted on the sea lice "science" and her associated media campaigns didnt go towards something useful like stream rehabilitation.

Ms Morton I think you owe Dr Beamish (DFO scientist who called it right)another, this-time-like-you-mean-it, apology.

Why don't you just go back into your much appreciated hide-out mode, handee, and chew on a rotten piece of farmed and sliced salmon, he? Nobody missed your nonsense here!

Something happened to 10 million Fraser sockeye. 2005 saw the a very healthy return of adults. Most progeny were larger and seemingly healthier than ever seen. This years returns should have been outstanding. Remember that this stock was not over fished as there was no commercial opening.

Make a donation and let your voices be heard before it is too late.

We cannot let the largest producer of wild salmon on earth collapse. Lets get our heads out of the sand and finally help the Fraser River.

*****DFO actually had their very own booth in a Norweigan tradeshow promoting fishfarming.

....hey , I all for fish farming to take pressure off wild stocks so long as they can create the operations to be self contained and on shore. Leave it to our local guys to figure it out. Create more jobs in the process. I do not get why our government is obsessed with allowing other countries to pillage our resources like they are doing??????

sockeye.jpg

quote:Originally posted by chris73

Why don't you just go back into your much appreciated hide-out mode, handee, and chew on a rotten piece of farmed and sliced salmon, he? Nobody missed your nonsense here!

By no means do I support fish farms, but this kind of reply just makes those who are against fish farms look uneducated on the subject and that there is no evidence to the contrary to what handee said. By that I mean that the only way to refute what handee said was for you to say get out of here...making it look like what he said was correct and you could not come back with any argument to the contrary. I believe that all are welcome on this site, whether for or against fish farms, as the only way to get the politicians to listen is to use civil, educated debate on the issue to come to a final outcome...to which there WILL have to be compromise as neither group will give in completely.

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/canucksfanatic44

If there was any constructive discussion - I agree Serengeti. Handee is a known troll for the fish farming industry. Just refer to the special topic under "Conservation" and you will find more than enough plausible arguments that will address any valid questions and concerns. Handee is just denigrating people with no factual reasoning. Only slurs and plain dumb nonsense - therefore NOT WELCOME here.

quote:If there was any constructive discussion - I agree Serengeti. Handee is a known troll for the fish farming industry. Just refer to the special topic under "Conservation" and you will find more than enough plausible arguments that will address any valid questions and concerns. Handee is just denigrating people with no factual reasoning. Only slurs and plain dumb nonsense - therefore NOT WELCOME here.
x2 Chris73
If Handee offered any constructive, intelligent, respectful debate and discussion, he would be welcome, I'm sure. One can only expect back what one puts in.

Hey SerengetiGuide, you must be back to school by now. Are you working for Duncan again? What does he have to say about the FR sockeye collapse?

Serengeti, make sure that the "salmon issue" is on their agenda high up this time because if not they may just lose a bunch of votes that they probably got the last time around.

Back