Alberni Inlet springs

Thanks Matt for your effort, the folks in the Valley need to be aware that decimating that run will have a negative impact on everyone, not just the fishing sectors, but the businesses all the way down to Joe Schmoe.

Great Letter..
I hope the people of Port Alberni stand behind this one...yell scream and stand outside the DFO office.
Poaching is poaching if you take more than your limit , I don't care what the color of your skin is!

Great Letter..
I hope the people of Port Alberni stand behind this one...yell scream and stand outside the DFO office.
Poaching is poaching if you take more than your limit , I don't care what the color of your skin is!

+ 2 well done. I hope DFO will listen to you.

Great Letter Matt and we'll be watching and cheering you on from the other side of the pond !!

Reminds me of my fav t-shirt !

DFOT-Shirt003.jpg

Well stated Matt. Now let's get all the facts and go from there. There is an SFAC meeting being organized (anyone can attend and say what they want), and contrary to the conspiracy theorists on this site we will get the facts and certainly have opportunity to explore what exactly went wrong and ensure steps are taken so it doesn't happen again...much like the close monitoring of the Gill Net Fleet that happened this season - that was a result of changes made from what we learned from last season's commercial gill net overfishing fiasco.

As for Lorne's always informed and positive comments, all I have to say is consider the source...ready, shoot, aim. Sorry man, get the facts then decide what is the best way to deal with what happened...we can't change the past, but we can certainly change how the future plays out once we fully understand exactly what took place. We all have our theories, but in reality they are probably 90 degrees off base.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said Searun,

You can watch things happen
You can make things happen
or
You can do nothing and wonder what the F*%K happened !!!

Well stated Matt. Now let's get all the facts and go from there. There is an SFAC meeting being organized (anyone can attend and say what they want), and contrary to the conspiracy theorists on this site we will get the facts and certainly have opportunity to explore what exactly went wrong and ensure steps are taken so it doesn't happen again...much like the close monitoring of the Gill Net Fleet that happened this season - that was a result of changes made from what we learned from last season's commercial gill net overfishing fiasco.
Searun, can you post on this site or PM me more details about the SFAC meeting - date, time, location, as I would be interested in attending (even as simply an observer & stakeholder as a recreational fisherman). Thanks,
Paul

Absolutely, once the Chair has found a meeting location, organized all the guests necessary to come and share the facts, or at least answer questions, would be happy to post details. The more folks that can come and participate the better.

Absolutely, once the Chair has found a meeting location, organized all the guests necessary to come and share the facts, or at least answer questions, would be happy to post details. The more folks that can come and participate the better.

I am in Richmond but if I can get the time off , I will also attend if you could let me know !

Today's Article in the AV Times:

Tsu-ma-uss fishery worries fishermen
14 Sep 2012 Alberni Valley Times JULIE BERTRAND Jbertrand@avtimes.net

Last week’s First Nations chinook fishery has some sports fishermen in the Alberni Valley worried that too much chinook salmon was harvested.

On Sept. 4, Fisheries and Oceans Canada allowed a limited two-hour fishery opening, during which Tseshaht First Nation and Hupacasath First Nation caught 9,700 fish in the harbour and in the Somass River.

In an interview last week, DFO South Coast area director Andrew Thomson said that the high number of fish caught might indicate there is more fish in the river than what DFO originally thought. In a pre-season forecast, DFO estimated the chinook run size at 34,000 salmon. For conservation purposes, the ministry set a target number of 57.2 million eggs to be laid in the Somass River. For this to happen, DFO determined that only 10,000 fish could be harvested by all fishery sectors. However, according to a Somass River bulletin sent on Sept. 7, it was revealed that close to 23,000 fish had been harvested.

Alberni Valley Enhancement Association salmon hatchery volunteer Jake Leyenaar is among those fishermen crying foul.

“There are a lot of disgruntled folks in the system right now,” he said. “It cannot be an open, free-for-all fishery, when you have a small [run size] like that. If it keeps on going the way it is, somewhere along the way we’re going to have to pay the piper.”

However, Leyenaar cautions anglers to keep their cool, since he said the harvested salmon stock cannot be replaced by pointing fingers.

Meanwhile, Thomson said DFO maintains the higher-thanexpected harvest numbers may indicate there were more fish in the river than what the pre-season forecast suggested. However, the ministry will not know for sure until the end of the season after employees take a look at final numbers.

“In the meantime, we still don’t have a conservation concern for that stock,” he said. “It’s largely an enhancement-based stock, and we feel we can meet the need for the hatchery. That’s our current viewpoint.”

Hupacasath First Nation chief councillor Steven Tatoosh agrees with Thomson and DFO. He said that last week’s fishery opening was not only the shortest in his lifetime, but also certain areas were closed that had never been closed before.

“In my opinion, DFO’s pre-season forecast was wrong for the year. There’s plenty of fish in the river,” Tatoosh said.

And on it goes
Nog

Wow! All I can say is I hope they print your letter as it was written and not some ultra careful version of it. They did say they will be printing it did they not.

Smoke and mirrors, that's all that amounted to. Just a joke.
Yup
Just a joke and Dfo has no balls to prosecute these fishers for taking more than their legal limit..
Fricking sad day for society as a whole and the fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
So if there is no conservation concern for the Somass Chinook stocks why is there still a one mile conservation corridor that restricts the recreational fishery alone the VI west coast? This was put in place to protect these same fish. Why was it not rescinded if they are so confident they have excess fish this year?

Back