9.9 Kicker - Suzuki vs Merc

If you want the mercury get the 15 hp instead of 9.9 same weight approx. But the 15 is fuel injected and WAY less problematic.
Did on that, we put a 15HP prokicker Merc on this spring and man its awesome! easy trouble free starting, lots of power and very quiet! Also has a bit more charging capacity than that of the 9.9's

Another big benefit of Suzuki over Yamaha (besides the EFI) is the ability to pull-start through the cowl. I had voltage issues this summer and the pull-start option of my Suzuki 9.9 got me back on Broadway much quicker then if I’d had to remove a Yammie cowling and wrap a string around a fly wheel ....not sure if Merc offers that option

Yamaha woke up and smelled the coffee with their T-20, however—-I just installed the T-20 on my new-to-me boat and I understand they finally decided to include the pull-start through the cowling option on that outboar

Another big benefit of Suzuki over Yamaha (besides the EFI) is the ability to pull-start through the cowl. I had voltage issues this summer and the pull-start option of my Suzuki 9.9 got me back on Broadway much quicker then if I’d had to remove a Yammie cowling and wrap a string around a fly wheel ....not sure if Merc offers that option
My friends 2020 Merc 9.9 EFI prokicker has the pull string.

I have a 2019 Suzuki DF9.9 that I bought new after having Yamaha’s for the last 20 years, very easy starting, quiet, EFI and I can upgrade the motor to either a 15hp or 20hp when I want as they are all the same powerhead just detuned to make it a 9.9

I have a 2019 Suzuki DF9.9 that I bought new after having Yamaha’s for the last 20 years, very easy starting, quiet, EFI and I can upgrade the motor to either a 15hp or 20hp when I want as they are all the same powerhead just detuned to make it a 9.9
I like the idea of upgrading to a higher hp. Is this a DIY kind of thing? Would it void the warranty?

I like the idea of upgrading to a higher hp. Is this a DIY kind of thing? Would it void the warranty?
Hmmm good question about warranty, might be better to do the upgrade after the warranty period is over. There a restriction plate on the air intake side that needs removed and an ECM upgrade which is just plug and play. I haven’t done the conversion myself but it looks fairly easy. I did the same upgrade years ago to my very old Johnson 9.9 hp years ago to get 15 hp out of it but that was a carb and exhaust manifold change with meant popping the powerhead off. The Suzuki horsepower upgrade is a lot easier.

I have the 9.9 sukuki efi on my my malibu 185. It's perfect for that size boat.

Efi vs carburetor way better.

The only thing I found is it runs a lot smoother with the 3 blade prop.
Now have the 9.9 Suzuki installed. Pretty slick with the electric start and trim.

Seems to vibrate more than the old 9.9 Merc and also seems that we have to get the RPMs up higher to get up to the desired trolling speed. Don't have a tach to know for sure and just going by how it sounds. Looking at the 4 blade prop on the Suzuki vs the 3 blade on the Merc 9.9, the 3 blade prop is a lot more aggressive and would push the water more.

Seems to tie back into your comment SV.

Still have to get up to the 10 hours before the first service so will stay as is until then but curious to hear your thoughts.

I'm liking my new Merc 9.9 ELH (electric start, 20 inch shaft and tiller handle). Extremely quiet, very low vibration, great fuel consumption. Really heavy though.

I have a 2012 Suzuki 9.9... really smooth quiet and a bit harder to start when it hasn't been run for a few weeks. Overall, a very nice kicker.

I had a 2014 Mercury 9.9 pro kicker tiller on my previous boat. I was really impressed with this motor. Very quiet, smooth, easy to start and easy to service.

Both Suzuki and Mercury make nice kickers so you can't go wrong with either.

Looking at the 4 blade prop on the Suzuki vs the 3 blade on the Merc 9.9, the 3 blade prop is a lot more aggressive and would push the water more.
I thought that as well but after switching to the 4 blade it was a bit better especially in heavy current wind , where the 9.9 i had to have full the 20 is like half and moves the boat better
it will smooth out FYI took about 150 hour mark

I thought that as well but after switching to the 4 blade it was a bit better especially in heavy current wind , where the 9.9 i had to have full the 20 is like half and moves the boat better
it will smooth out FYI took about 150 hour mark
X2 on the 4 blade performance in heavy currents. I've used the 3 blade merc 9.9 and the Suzuki 9.9 with the HT prop and the difference has been pretty significant esp around the Fraser mouth.

Back