8hp or 9.9 hp kicker?

abbyfireguy

Looking to replace my aged kicker over the winter. Trying to decide if I should get a 8 or 9.9 hp kicker. Must be electric start. I have an old 9.9 Yammie High Thrust electric start,with XL leg.
Am looking at Tohatsu right now and can get very good pricing on both models. My boat is a 18.5 welded aluminum jet weighing in at 2900 lbs with fuel,so not that heavy.
I have friends with similar boats that have both 8 and 9.9 hp kickers.
Two have gone with 8 hp Tohatsu with High Thrust props and are very happy.
Any comments would be appreciated,just remember I don't have deep pockets or fish 100 days a year like some of you lucky folks.

What year is your old yammie? Does it have power tilt? If it does, send me a pm with a pic. Thanks barrie

What year is your old yammie? Does it have power tilt? If it does, send me a pm with a pic. Thanks barrie

I had an older 8hp Honda (non high thrust) on my last boat which was a 21 ft WA cuddy weighing 3500lb.
Trolled it no problem, then the 8hp was 20lb lighter than the 9.9 so a real nice fit.
On the new Hondas, the 8 and the 9.9 are the same weight so now there is no advantage.

With Tohatsu, if you can save weight, go the 8, it will work well.

Either one. I have a T8 high thrust on a 21' boat. Drives it about 6 mph. Hull speed. You will get a little less on an 18' boat. Water line length for hull speed. I would also want the power tilt. My first kicker was a 15 mariner. Rope start, non high thrust, manual tilt. Love the power tilt. I think the Yamaha t9.9 and T8 are same motor. Either will work.

Picked up a lease return Merc 9.9 Bigfoot Pro Kicker in the spring for a great deal at Bridgeview in Delta. Has excellent power and power trim/remote start and charging. Runs nice and quiet. Can do about 6-7mph depending on fuel load and passengers. Still has factory warranty even. Definitely worth looking for one now as all the lease returns are coming down from up north soon.

If you're on the BC coast, go for the 9.9. Tide and wind can really push you around, sometimes an occasional burst of extra power can be the difference between fishing and being blown off the water.

Either would be good, I like the the extra long leg, as it seems to be quicker to respond to steering input. With electric start you will have a built in charging system. Perhaps look at the higher output if there is one.

my opinion is its always better to have more power than less. if you have to get home on it its nice to have the extra power,
One day I'll tell you guys the story about a spun prop, stiff winds, rain & fog with night coming fast and a 6hp kicker out near Port Renfrew-no fun at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now I have a 9.9 merc on a 22 ft fiberform. there is a 15hp Honda with charging system sitting in my shed I,m tempted to switch too because I too have been out in weather you don't want to be in even with your main and it is nice to know you can make headway even if it is ******.

Any comments on Suzuki 9.9's? They have released the new 2015 9.9 in the US. It is fuel injected now. Probably be in Canada in a month or so..Any thoughts about fuel injection being any better?

Suzuki's have been known to vibrate really bad.....

Have you called Chris at Inlet Marine? Many members here on SFBC have been treated really well by him when in the market for power. It's worth the call...... They are an advertiser on this site

Id say go with a 9.9 high thrust ex long shaft ..

I just bought a new 2014 Merc 9.9 Pro Kicker xlong shaft @ Vector in Sidney ..have yet to put any hrs on it ..
Was looking to replace my 97 9.9yamy ht which i sold (gave to my son lol)
Wanted to buy either yamy or merc in town (Courtenay) and wanted best price but no body ie. Parker or CV marine wanted my $$?..

If you go newer Yami get the 9.9 high thrust. It is the power tilt, electric start and longer leg that add the weight not the horse power as the 8 and the 9.9 are the same block and many parts are the same. If you fish in places like Sooke with its nasty current you will appreciate the extra power and the motor will work less hard and last longer and as was pointed out if you come back a long ways if your main motor fails you will appreciate the extra hp, I know we did when that happened. I don’t think Yami even makes the 8 high thrust anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back