9.9 Kicker - Suzuki vs Merc

Trowser

Have to replace our 2003 9.9 Merc kicker on our 182 Malibu. She had a good life with 1000s of hours.

Narrowed it down to Suzuki and Merc mainly to match the black of the Suzuki 140 main.

Any comments on these kickers? Any problems with either of these?

Would consider a yamaha but if all is equal might as well colour match.

Thank you in advance!

Well I switched over to the dark side this year from a yammy 9,9 to a 20 zuk
glad I did as the EFI is awesome , did notice till its broken in the are a bit rough but was told about that before hand now its smooth as silk SV has the 9,9 ask him...

Buddy has a Merc on the lake boat and I’ve been using a Zuki 9.9 XL shaft on my salt rig for the last three years. The EFI Suzuki is a nice unit, works great in big currents and saves me a lot of gas $$$.
No issues with the Merc so far but again it’s never seen the salt water so can’t comment on the performance. You might be able to find a deal where you get 6-years warranty instead of the standard 3. Good luck!

Suzuki will be efi in the 9.9, have a longer std. warranty period and if I remember properly their price included controls if your going remote.

Merc 15 pro is a nice motor as well, efi and 12A charging.

Maintenance wise if your servicing at home or at the dealership you only have to go to one location for parts if you stick with Suzuki..

Have to replace our 2003 9.9 Merc kicker on our 182 Malibu. She had a good life with 1000s of hours.

Narrowed it down to Suzuki and Merc mainly to match the black of the Suzuki 140 main.

Any comments on these kickers? Any problems with either of these?

Would consider a yamaha but if all is equal might as well colour match.

Thank you in advance!
The Zuk is the same as 20hp with an airflow limiter. Mine runs well and the EFI is great

I have the 9.9 Merc, 2020 version so I guess it is a Tohatsu. My fishing friend has a Yamaha 8, says my Merc is noticeably quieter than his Yammie kicker. I don't have the kicker wired to the batterY so cannot comment on the charging capabilities etc, it is manual everything. (iTroll this winter though)

I'd say tohatsu branded over merc but I'm also a dealer haha. Mercury buys the engines from tohatsu. Tohatsu warranty is the best and they are alot easier to deal with then mercury on my end. Kinda like buying a cow straight from the farmer and not a butcher

mercs 9.9 are efi now? when did they switch them from carbs?
When tohatsu went to the 9.9 15 20 lineup on injection in 2017, by late 2018 or early 2019 merc was offering the injected pro kickers. They were tohatsu before that, however that's when injection came into the market for them. Suzuki offered injection before that, however my understanding is they didn't really hit the Canadian market that quickly. Think right around the same time period as tohatsu.

I have a 2020 9.9 Mercury Pro kicker. Electric start and tilt. Love it. Charges batteries sufficiently. It replaced a 1998 Mercury 9.9 that gave me no issues either. I doubt you can buy a bad kicker from a name brand company these days.

I have had nothing but issues with any merc I purchased - I always go for yami now (especially in salt water). Cant beat their reliability.

Back