60lb/15lb Halibut Limit - Let's Discuss

SOOOOOOOOOOOO........Who wants to go halibut fishing this weekend?....do we have a Canadian TAC yet?....let's start working on catching it eh?......:D....holmes*
I've already been inviting people for days to go halibut fishing this weekend... All this halibut talk makes me want fish and chips.

Be sure to invite a SFAB member... :)

Homles usually i take march 1st off and go. Months ago I decided not to take the 1st off and just do a short trip on March 2nd weather permitting.

Come down to Victoria and join me I don't think I'll be altering my plans based on this hokus pokus I'll go fish open or closed. Probably won't keep anything out of respect for the fish not the DFO. I kept too many last year and need another couple more months to eat it before I start re stocking. at this rate Hali will be C&R only in a few years I really enjoy fishing for them though so if that's the way it so be it C&R it is. Not going to let it stop me and I will enjoy the extra elbow room out there. Give me a chance to try circle hooks and maybe check out some new spots while I'm at it.

GDW, all the boards are mandated to be comprised of an equal split of recreational anglers and those in industry. So there is no unfair bias as a result. Since I've been involved our chair has asked several times for those attending meetings and voting on motions to verify from which side they represent. To date the proper balance has existed.

You do a lot for the sport ProFisher I appreciate all that you put into it.

Is there anywhere that lists all the voting board members so I can verify your post above? I'm betting a lot of the "sport fishers" have conflicting interests. I have not heard from many sport fishers who support this plan.

It sounds like to commonality between the "true" sport fishers and the SFAB has been lost on this issue. While I suspect that many are not even aware of the proposed changes I also expect that they would not be in favour. This is a larger issue than many of us can deal with in a consorted manner given the time frame we are dealing with and, unfortunately, the damage has most likely been done.

There will be many who suggest branching out and taking a “multi-faceted” approach – however, this will only muddy the waters as you are essentially diluting the common voice.

If the SFAB no longer represents the interests of the Sport Fishing community then there needs to be internal change. That change can come in many forms – process, management, org structure, etc. and something that should be discussed in the coming months.

I see this as a substantial failure to represent the best interest of the sport fishing community and am disappointed with the outcome. I appreciate that all of this work is volunteer but I’m certain all were fully apprised of his/her respective duties when signing on the dotted line.

To stir the pot a bit more - I fail to see how guides/lodge operations are considered “sport fishers”… there is nothing but commercial profit in a guiding business and these folks should be characterized as such.

Holmes, don't be a poacher!!!!! doesn't matter if your native or not. Don't poach the resource! its a sacred resource the flattie so don't be a gorb!!

GDW, all the boards are mandated to be comprised of an equal split of recreational anglers and those in industry. So there is no unfair bias as a result. Since I've been involved our chair has asked several times for those attending meetings and voting on motions to verify from which side they represent. To date the proper balance has existed.
No not equal but close...
Here is the wording
Representation on the Regional SFAC will be sensitive to achieving a balance between Primary and Secondary Level User Group Members. The majority of members should be Primary Level User Group Members.
Primary Level User Group Members are persons who do not receive a significant amount of their annual income directly or indirectly from the recreational fishery. A Primary User Group Member may include a person who is the representative from a non-industry recreational fishing advocacy organization.
Secondary Level User Group Members are persons who receive a significant amount of their annual income directly or indirectly from the recreational fishery. A Secondary Level User Group Member may include a person who represents a recreational industry organization.

GDW
Problems can arise when we move up to the next level of SFAB.
Here is where it depends on who you have as the chair of your SFAC.
Anyone can be the chair and that person then goes to North or South Coast SFAB and votes.
So if your local SFAC has no one that steps up from the primary level (tin boat angler) then that opens the door to someone in the secondary level (big lodge).
The truth is, it's a thankless job (chair) and most, that do it, are looking out for all of us.
If they own a tackle shop, Mom & Pop Lodge, guide or is a tin boater angler they can make a great SFAC chair if they have some experience with Roberts Rules of Order. When you are a chair you have your SFAC to answer to and I would not what to be on the wrong side of my SFAC. I would defend there views as expressed by motions or in the minutes on the majority group view.
Hope that helps you understand.
Further reading can be found here.
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/consultation/fisheries-peche/smon/sfab-ccps/index-eng.htm
GLG

Holmes, don't be a poacher!!!!! doesn't matter if your native or not. Don't poach the resource! its a sacred resource the flattie so don't be a gorb!!
It does not make him a poacher in my eyes. One can't just sit there and continually take it up the azz and think its ok. There needs to be changes and if changes are not made I will as well just ignore the politics and BS and go fish. Paying the fine and actually fishing is a better idea then just bending over once again.

Wow. This is clearly the sign of an era coming to an end: the world famous BC sportfishing! Sportfishing based tourism can pack it in. If you cannot hope for your fish of a lifetime anymore why would anyone want to come here to fish? The high gloss flyers with mighty fish caught with rod and reel are gone now. Cookie cutter stocked trouts, slot size salmon and ping pong paddle halibut - that's what the BC fishery will be known for from now on. Well done!

Kudos to the south coast SFAB reps to fight this til the end. Only long term hope for change lies with the new Anglers Coalition I guess. All old systems in place have failed us to this disastrous end result.

EXACTLY...i would also suggest that you NOT pay any fine tho, challenge it in court.....paying the fine only aknowledges that you have done something wrong.....the entire system is corrupt and illegal....it needs to be dismantled...look at the bigger picture...so cowie, how am i a poacher????...please explain.......holmes*
You don't think I'd pay it do you? Ya right... There is not enough money for them to even show up in court for something so small.

A post awhile back mentioned the costs the SFAB members occur to represent us, as well as cost of time. I would like to applaud them for that. They do work hard for us, and this should not be forgotten, and like I said, sure they had the memberships best interests in mind here (some of them anyway).

But once again, I've yet to hear how this is just a one year "experiment"? That is what was said of the slot limit last year, and now we are in even worse shape. They keep using that word experiment to try and calm the storm, but it doesn't work like that, we fell for it last year and look what happened this year. I've heard "next year is a new year"...sure, probably more regulations at the rate we are going. Once again I ask the question, how should we trust this is just a one year "experiment" when that was what was said last year as well?

I have been asked to summarize what happened from some PM's received this is directed to those that wanted info from me.

Last year at SFAB there was a mad dash to come up with a recommendation for halibut.
DFO did not give SFAB enough time to consult with the local SFAC.
After the fact SFAC passed a motion that next year they need to consult with us first.
So in October a PDF was sent out with options for this year and request that we give them guidance.
The document was posted here and we had a lively conversation.
Most SFAC then had open house meetings to get input from the community.
Those options where rehashed again then and a vote was taken.
In Area 14 we accepted 1/2 slot, restrict gifting and we had previously passed a motion for some annual limit. It was also important for us to have a full season.
We were against... Max size, Time and Area Closure, Area Allocation
So that's what was on the table from our SFAC-14 to South Coast SFAB
It went to South Coast (SC) SFAB and after much discussion from other area SFAC's a broad set of recommendations were passed to Halibut Working Group and SFAB Main Board.
Off the table from SC SFAB :Time and Area Closure, Area Allocation
On the table: daily possession limits, season length, size limits, etc.
Support :implementation of a 5 halibut annual limit for the 2013 season and that the Halibut Committee develop a proposal for linking an annual limit to abundance. Halibut opening date of March 1 at the earliest for the 2013 season. Highest priority should be given in the modelling process to extending the halibut season if at all possible to the end of September.

So that's what the SFAB Halibut Working Group (HWG) had to work with. From there they waited for IPHC and DFO to get all the numbers together and build the models. I'm sure that the HWG went back and forth with DFO to try to make the TAC fit. It was presented to SFAB Main Board for discussion and a vote. That's where we are today.... 1/2 - Slot 15/60 lb, 6 annual limit, full season. So you see Area 14 got some of what we wanted but we did not get the no max size.
We got two halibut - yea I know we got a max size and that's why there is people upset
We got Annual Limit - helps keeps the gifting down and hopefully spreads the TAC to others
We got Full Season - I know we were sick of having our season shut down.
So you can look at it like this : Win, Win, Lose or Lose, Win, Win
One thing to note is this is a recommended experiment and only good for this year.
DFO has the final say as to what our season will look like. If you contact them that's up to you.
We will be back at this next year when the Halibut numbers are in from IPHC and DFO.
I will put forth what Area 14 anglers decide next year and will defend those decisions.
GLG

Here are somethings I won't do.....
Take disrespectful comments or questions that are meant to start a fight here on this forum. I will not stir the pot as that's not what anglers do. I will not answer question from members with there agendas. I'm not here so you can make a batch of popcorn and start a shyt fight for your own entertainment.

I have seious trouble believing that this experiment is good for only this year,just like last years joke of an idea was only temporary too.What a bunch bs

Much better than here...note they also don't have possession limits in Alaska...so even more likely more fishermen will go up there.

I still have not found any impact studies to show that there will be no ill-effects on future stocks due to hammering on such a narrow range age class, of which may be primarily male.

Look at crabbing all males are killed but it doesn't effect their stocks much. It may be one of the best managed fisheries.

I'm not too worried about future impact because already a very high % of the catch is 60 pounds and under only a few larger fish are taken - at least in my area.

Back