60lb/15lb Halibut Limit - Let's Discuss

Gunsmith... You think this one will hit sixty?

mjep.gif

Weird Al had it right...Eat It!

Micheal who?

All I am saying is that no matter what we do and how good a fisherman we think we are today, no matter how efficiently we catch - it's nothing in the big picture. Not yesterday, not tomorrow. We are caught in a political game even though we are a fly on the Hoover dam wall.

I read in another thread that the SFAC thinks we can get a season that runs march 15th - December 31st. This is actually something I support and just might be worth giving up a fish over 60lbs for an extra 3 months of opportunity. I didn't think we would get past September. This message was missed with the original announcement. Good news there for sure if it happens.

I can live with a annual limit cause how much meat does one need. I can even live with 1/2 possession. But the slot limits are stupid.

I read in another thread that the SFAC thinks we can get a season that runs march 15th - December 31st. This is actually something I support and just might be worth giving up a fish over 60lbs for an extra 3 months of opportunity. I didn't think we would get past September. This message was missed with the original announcement. Good news there for sure if it happens.

How many opportunities are there to get outside in Nov/Dec? I would rather see a closure in October if it means we can keep fish over 60lbs.

How many opportunities are there to get outside in Nov/Dec? I would rather see a closure in October if it means we can keep fish over 60lbs.

You do not need to get outside to catch halibut. Sure the easy fishing on the offshore banks might be hard to reach but there are halibut from Sidney all the way up the west coast and you don't always need to travel far to catch them. You do need to put in your time and find the spots though.

I'll get a couple more trips per year lots of nice days after October where I live and last year the halibut fishing was really picking up when it closed. I agree the slot sucks but this is a real bright side at least for me. I just hope DFO gives lots of notice on the end date otherwise it will be hard to save room on my lic for oct - dec fishing if it's not guaranteed.

Anyone know what the other options offered were? Might give a better perspective.

I'll take 6 per year, but do not need a November/December opening and I agree the slot limits are rediculous. Hate to say it guys, but the desparate need to keep the season open as long as possible is NOT oriented towards the average sports fisherman. It does cater to the guides and lodges.

give me 6 and let me catch them till end of September and I (a very typical average hailbut sports angler) will be happy. Lose the need to keep it open as long as possible. Now back to my popcorn, I'm done.

Last edited by a moderator:
6 per year,,1/2- any size open til sept 15.- one under, whatever, we accepted it foolishly or without choice so we live with it? but in no way should there be a max size,,,keeping open past sept 15 does not cater to guides and lodges. they are done usually mid sept. keeping it open past oct caters to nobody.

FINALLY someone with a brain THANK YOU trophy also who in there right mind wants to brave the fall storms like I said on the other post who want to bet that it will be shut by sept anyone anyone??????

LETS look close at this ok 5 years ago when all this $hit started.....

1: possession was 2 a day 3 possesion they said we over harvested but we had extra so it was ok ..... following yesr we lost feb 1 to march...hhmmm again we went over but its ok we had extra

2: then the $hit really hit the fan!!!!!! you sporties are all bad way over fished so were knocking you down to 1 daily 2 possesion thats a 50% hit
again miraciously we went over again?????WTF how can that be???

3 ok lets put a slot on it 1 under 1 over!!!!!!! again they said we were close to going over???? hhhhmmmm something is kinda fishy here.

4 THIS year ok were going to slam you both ways under and now a high slot oh and wait cutting to maybe mid march!!!!! WHO the hell comes up with these hairbrained ideas?????? simply fuking amazing we get sold out so easily.

PEOPLE do you see the downhill trend which is happening there going to *** us in the arse over and over or should i say 'UNDER"

OH and wait it gets better I got a call today from a nice source saying the freezer has close to 400,000 lbs of halibut in stock just fricken awesome and the price is lower..

WANT A BIG HALIBUT DONT COME TO BC GO TO ALASKA.......

not many fisherman on the WCVI till later May , most gone labour day weekend ,
im sure most wouldnt ***** if it closed the Labour day weekend , and most wouldnt cry if it opened May 15th ,how bout give us that time frame , and lose the Slot crap , make it a 1/2 , and 6 annual , lotsa guys done by July im sure.... Ive been saying to have areas and regs divied up like other fish for years now,,,,,
if all of you truly knew how few fish over 60 pounds come to the dock ,you would truly pissing urself at these pathetic slot restrictions ,almost never.... guys that have a clue of what there doing out there are on average are bonkin 30 50 lbers , a few just over 60 , i get my fish and get out , these new regs are causing injuries , even death ,i get gut hook ups often , NOT GOOD on releases......

brutal

fd

As i think we have the right to know that!!!!!!! as these are the ones screwing with some of our living and especially for us sportfisherman who WANT to fish!!!!!!!!

I want march 1 back hell want feb 1st back if we keep selling out it gona get worse whats next a 2 week opening?????

Sorry FOG ducker a may opening is NFG as well if you fished down here you would understand

Finaddict and Trophywife.... You are entitled to you thoughts but let me point out that for most, if not all, SFAC that I read the minutes from had "open for a full season" as being a common goal. So you see the avarage fisherman did get what he asked for. No I'm not happy about getting the slot on large fish because of safety reasons. I'll adapt and use advice I hope to get from anglers here on this site. Till then I'm going to put my energy (anger) on getting our 15/85 split fixed.

agree wolf , but useless for most up this way , thats why i said an area to area opening closing / im sure you can understand where im coming from , its dead here til mid may / june...cheers

fd

I want to know who voted in favor and who voted against and there names posted !!!!!!!!

As i think we have the right to know that!!!!!!! as these are the ones screwing with some of our living and especially for us sportfisherman who WANT to fish!!!!!!!!

I want march 1 back hell want feb 1st back if we keep selling out it gona get worse whats next a 2 week opening?????

Sorry FOG ducker a may opening is NFG as well if you fished down here you would understand

with all due respect GLG , i dont think your average fisherman knows $hit bowt whats happened here yet , ive spoken to a few this weekend while i was out on the WCVI island this weekend , ACTUALLY FISHIN !! none of them knew Chit , when i updated them , they had some rather interesting remarks and suggestions to the powers that brought these brilliant ideas to the table.....

gd lk with this all ..

fd

Finaddict and Trophywife.... You are entitled to you thoughts but let me point out that for most, if not all, SFAC that I read the minutes from had "open for a full season" as being a common goal. So you see the avarage fisherman did get what he asked for. No I'm not happy about getting the slot on large fish because of safety reasons. I'll adapt and use advice I hope to get from anglers here on this site. Till then I'm going to put my energy (anger) on getting our 15/85 split fixed.

Just so some of you put things in perspective: Sidney - Port Renfrew (one of the busiest sportfishing areas on this coast) has had traditionally a strong fishery for halibut in spring and fall. But what is this fishery now worth if so heavily restricted? I too think this was a BIG mistake.

Anyone know what the other options offered were? Might give a better perspective.

2013 Cdn Recreational Fishery TAC = 1,080,450
The following options from a technical perspective are options to review and consider for a 2013 regime. We caution
however that some options may carry much more “risk” than the factor integrated into the base model.
Future angler behaviour associated with untested measures will vary from option to option. These include (and not
limited to):
 High grading in attempts to get close to the maximum available size
 Shift in effort into a time frame when a more generous limit is available.
 Effect of the season being open for one month before Annual Limit comes into effect.
These (and other) unpredictable behaviours could result in achieving the available TAC prior to the modelled outcome
which could ultimately result in an unplanned in season closure.
Note:
83cm = 15 lbs round weight
90cm = 20 lbs round weight
102cm = 30 lbs round weight
112cm = 40 lbs round weight
120cm = 50 lbs round weight
126cm = 60 lbs round weight
133cm = 70 lbs round weight
Other Important Items for Consideration at Main Board/ Motions related to halibut:
 Annual Possession Limit experiment (one or two years TBA SFAB Main Board)
 Controlling/Screening replacement license abuse
 Mandatory writing on length of each halibut on licence
 Check box on licence on halibut line with option single or multi day trip
 Integration of single and multi-day effort/catch onto creel survey for 2013
 Integration of single and multi-day effort/catch onto guide log books and e-logs for 2013
 Immediate integration of single and multi-day trip/catch questions on the Online Survey.
Summary Table - With Annual Limit*
Tool Estimated Catch TAC Difference Under TAC
A 1 per day/1 posession
March 1 -Dec 31 967,847 1,080,450 112,603 112,603
B 1/2 Shoulder Season – Slot Size 83cm; 1/1 July and August any Size
March 1 -Dec 31 1,029,125 1,080,450 51,325 51,325
C 1 per day/2 posession max size 112 cm on both fish (40lbs)
March 1 -Dec 31 1,004,545 1,080,450 75,905 75,905
D-1 1/2 with one Fish less than 133cm(70lbs) and one Fish less than 83cm
March 1 -Dec 31 1,081,304 1,080,450 -854 -854
D-2 1/2 with One Fish less than 126cm(60lbs) and One Fish less than 83cm
March 1 -Dec 31 1,036,209 1,080,450 44,241 44,241
D-3 1/2 with One Fish less than 120cm(50lbs) and One Fish less than 83cm
March 1 -Dec 31 983,845 1,080,450 96,605 96,605
2012 Measure 1/2 with One Fish Any size and one fish less than 83cm (March-Mid Aug)
1,080,450 1,080,450 0 0 *Model does not factor shift of effort
2012 Measure 1/2 with One Fish Any size and one fish less than 83cm (June-July-Aug only) from closed times that will move into open
1,058,912 1,080,450 21,538 21,538 times - high risk of in season closure
*not adjusted for March fishery with no annual limit, as annual limit would come into effect April 1 2013
1/2 means one halibut per day and two in posession

Back