26 hourston sedan power options

bonez10

I am curious if anyone would like to share there fuel burn numbers?
speed?
Horsepower?
26' hourston or similar boats
Possible power options would be
300 or twin 150s or twin 175s or twin200s

Just for some thing different, my 23 Hourston [which weighs ~6500 lbs, surprisingly close to your 26] was originally powered by 260 hp gas I/O and ran 8 to 10 gph at 22 to 25 mph.

Repowered with D3 200 hp diesel duoprop, it gets 5 to 6.5 gph [imperial] at 24 to 27. The diesel is aluminum block, so about 500 lbs less in the stern, but much of the lost weight was replaced by additional fiberglass in the stringers.

Looks like you have chosen O/B?
Twins would allow you to troll on one & have a top speed of around 40 MPH. All the O/B mfgr's have prop tests/performance bulletins on their web sites detailing performance of their engines on various boats. Some boat builders have similar info; usually Yamaha O/B's on their boats. Diesel's like the example above top-out at 3600 - 4000 RPM versus 5000 - 6000 RPM for O/B's & have different gear ratio's so the O/B will troll at a lower speed at idle.
For the most part, modern marine engines are priced "per HP"; a 150 & 175 might be identical except for valve timing/fuel injection tuning but the 175 will be more expensive. Speed on a boat is expensive; you might have to nearly double the HP to gain a 10 MPH speed increase when the beginning speed is 30 MPH+.
It seems most with boats in your size range aim for a cruise of around 25 MPH at around 4000 RPM.

I have a 26 hourston sedan with the 260 HP engine and the volvo duo prop drive @ 2800 RPM 24 miles per HR.my burn is approx.10 imp.gal. per hr. fully loaded with fuel and gear boat weighs 7100 LBS

My 26' is a soft top that has never been weighed but it has a single IO 320HP with a VP DPS / F3 prop set. At 2,800 rpm's I am turning about 21 knots or so and I cruise between there and 3,200 RPS that delivers 24 to 25 knots. WOT is 38 knots. I am not tracking fuel consumption as it has a 300L tank that is more than sufficient for the central Straits.

As I consider one day this may be converted to outboards, I would consider the Merc V8 300HP Verado and the 350HP DP Suzuki for singles or a pair of 175HP twins. The few Island Runners I have seen from the factory had twin power and I like the idea for redundancy and stability.

I have a 26 hourston sedan with the 260 HP engine and the volvo duo prop drive @ 2800 RPM 24 miles per HR.my burn is approx.10 imp.gal. per hr. fully loaded with fuel and gear boat weighs 7100 LBS
My 26' is a soft top that has never been weighed but it has a single IO 320HP with a VP DPS / F3 prop set. At 2,800 rpm's I am turning about 21 knots or so and I cruise between there and 3,200 RPS that delivers 24 to 25 knots. WOT is 38 knots. I am not tracking fuel consumption as it has a 300L tank that is more than sufficient for the central Straits.

As I consider one day this may be converted to outboards, I would consider the Merc V8 300HP Verado and the 350HP DP Suzuki for singles or a pair of 175HP twins. The few Island Runners I have seen from the factory had twin power and I like the idea for redundancy and stability.
Well there you go; can't get any better info than these posts!!
I converted a 24 SeaRay from a 260 HP Chevy to a 250 2 stroke Yammie years back before 4 stroke O/B's. I gained 10 MPH on the top end. It would also run WOT all day where the chevy would increase in temp & decrease in oil pressure after a few minutes of such treatment.

It sounds like 250 - 300 HP would be ideal; now it's down to single versus twins.

I would do a single 350 with 15hp kicker. But twin 175s would be nice too. Keeping in mind the power/weight ratio of the engines is important as well. a 250 would be the absolute minimum in my opinion. Sounds like a fun project! good luck

I have counter rotating twin 150 Merc 4 strokes on my 26 Hourston and that's enough.

Max speed is 47 knots on the GPS, cruise @ 3900 rpms for 26 knots and 10 gals/hr
Given this data twin 150's could easily be downsized. www.boatdiesel.com has a prop calculator ($50 membership required). Given this known performance data from Aces, you could plug-in different HP numbers to see how it affects speed, and perhaps go from 6 cylinder engines to 4 cylinders & save weight - unless you wanna do 50.

I have counter rotating twin 150 Merc 4 strokes on my 26 Hourston and that's enough.

Max speed is 47 knots on the GPS, cruise @ 3900 rpms for 26 knots and 10 gals/hr

I want to go for a rip on this thing for sure someday!!

Given this data twin 150's could easily be downsized. www.boatdiesel.com has a prop calculator ($50 membership required). Given this known performance data from Aces, you could plug-in different HP numbers to see how it affects speed, and perhaps go from 6 cylinder engines to 4 cylinders & save weight - unless you wanna do 50.
I almost went with 200's on the last re power but i don't really have much of a desire to go much faster

47 knots that’s to slow lol, some members here would say they need twin 300 hp to push that boat.

That is true! I’ve only honestly had over 40 a few times. I’m more of a fuel conserver

Anything over 30, and its pretty hard to see the chunks soon enough to dodge them [maybe its my eyes].

The latest casualty was the composite bracket holding my transducer on the transom. Lowrance wants US$50 for one. Fortunately I got the fire sale price at Island Outfitters.

I'm happy at 22-27 mph, burning 5-6 gph, and dodging chunks [most of the time].

Anything over 30, and its pretty hard to see the chunks soon enough to dodge them [maybe its my eyes].
Maybe it's your brain telling you to be careful. Going fast is fun, but the older I get the more exhausting it gets. Iv'e run Ucluelet to Everett WA in a single day & was VERY worn-out at the end. It's the one's floating end-up just below the surface that bob-up as you are going over them - rare for sure, but you can't see them. Down here in Puget Sound there are government boats that go around picking up debris- go north of Campbell River where the driftwood is 4-5 feet deep on the beaches in places when the tides are big is a different story.

The latest casualty was the composite bracket holding my transducer on the transom. Lowrance wants US$50 for one. Fortunately I got the fire sale price at Island Outfitters.

I'm happy at 22-27 mph, burning 5-6 gph, and dodging chunks [most of the time].

I completely agree, its rare I am over 25 knots, on the inside anyway. I wouldn't want to go underpowered tho, having the juice out back when you need to out run and dodge errant commanders is really valuable.

That is true! I’ve only honestly had over 40 a few times. I’m more of a fuel conserver
Yup me too, mine top up at 40 mph in the bay on flat water, sketchy as f...k, anything over 30 mph where i fish on most days is stupid, unless you like having back pain for weeks after a 20 mile run, I think a lot of folks on here have prop selection issues more then HP issues on there boats

Back