23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
For what it’s worth I have a flybridge on my boat and I like it. It’s great storage for long trips and a nice place to troll and cruise from when the weather is nice. Very few people on this forum are ever going to see or step foot on your boat In person so build whatever you want.
I think that he did ask for opinions at some time.

I wouldn’t put the command bridge on, looks out of place and bulky with a bunch of added weight. Would be a big expensive undertaking to rig it all up with controls and everything to drive from up there. I think the roof area would be more appealing without command bridge you’d be able to lay out in the sun or watch the stars with out the bulky thing in the way, you’d still be able to store stuff up there with out it. I would think your back deck area will be quite spacious plus the cabin area and you won’t need the command bridge just to sit. I would just put a stainless rail around the roof

This was my old boat a few years ago. 30 sea ray. I did enjoy driving from up top. You can see all the wood and traps in the water alot sooner. It was nice to sit on anchor up on the bridge. This boat did rock around alot even with the 11.5 beam. I never really understood it. I'm thinking all the weight up top.
In my opinion a 26 ft boat is too small for a bridge. They are fun though
is that savary?

I did a 28" opening for you big boned gents LOL I thought 24" was too narrow... :) w/2" high threshold

IMG_0725.jpeg IMG_0726.jpeg

Last edited:
IMG_0725.jpeg

How in the heck should I finish these panels? I am sick of sanding/wet sanding so was thinking of cm with just 2 or 3 coats of gel, I know it will have texture but i think it might be ok.

what about encapsulating it in resin to seal then covering with white arborite or a neutral colour? might look nice with alu trim on the windows and door.

I worked on an 80 foot glass fishing boat. I was a 17 year old kid, but was there when she was built. All interior walls were plywood and then contact cemented with wood look arborite then teak trim sometimes (galley). What Fishon said or keep going with resin, glass, fill, gel, sand and polish for the outside. You need to Tom Sawyer a local kid into thinking sanding glass is fun.

Last edited:
what about encapsulating it in resin to seal then covering with white arborite or a neutral colour? might look nice with alu trim on the windows and door.

Good idea, was going to gel them sand colour so there is not sooo much white but that my look funny as I only have sand where there is nonskid :oops:

Last edited:
I worked on an 80 foot glass fishing boat. I was a 17 year old kid, but was there when she was built. All interior walls were plywood and then contact cemented with wood look arborite then teak trim sometimes (galley).

... so gel the outside bit leave the wood look inside as I will be putting more wood accent around the cabin?

Inside ply looks nice, some solid fir or darker trim and clear, outside looks uglier. Box liner lol!
Contact cement some arborite on it,

Last edited:
... so gel the outside bit leave the wood look inside as I will be putting more wood accent around the cabin?

You have to finish it right. You’ve done a heck of a job don’t get lazy now. Gel coat both sides to match the inside walls of the cabin. So many guys go hard on a project at the start and then when it comes to the finishing touches they fail. The finishing is as important as the guts. Maybe take a good break, get some steam and come back at it refreshed and mind cleared up and ready.

I wouldn't bother with the small piece at the bottom of the door, or is that going at the top. Because there is a small piece at the top that spaces the 2 panels apart.

I wouldn't bother with the small piece at the bottom of the door, or is that going at the top. Because there is a small piece at the top that spaces the 2 panels apart.

He may need the bottom piece for a door track if going with a sliding door

You have to finish it right. You’ve done a heck of a job don’t get lazy now. Gel coat both sides to match the inside walls of the cabin. So many guys go hard on a project at the start and then when it comes to the finishing touches they fail. The finishing is as important as the guts. Maybe take a good break, get some steam and come back at it refreshed and mind cleared up and ready.

Yes I am getting to that point of just get it done! Been lots of time put into her since January...

Last edited:

was going to put the 2” at the bottom so water will not enter the cabin..

was going to put the 2” at the bottom so water will not enter the cabin..
After you trip over it a few times you will rethink that. The slider track will stop water going in.

Back