23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
Nice. I’ve got a 225 on mine that’s still(months later) waiting on my mechanic to complete. Should have enough power. Although. I walk around at 280 lbs so I’m like two guys!

Nice. I’ve got a 225 on mine that’s still(months later) waiting on my mechanic to complete. Should have enough power. Although. I walk around at 280 lbs so I’m like two guys!

A 225 would be spot on for that boat! I recommend min 200... :) pm or text me a few pics :)

Hey guys, still no work and the hard choice has been made! :eek:

I have given it a great run and held off as long as possible but unfortunately there comes a time when I must move on... things are pretty much back together and will not take much to finish, its a blank canvas to finish the way a person would want to.

Any ideas on what I should ask for it?

Hey guys, still no work and the hard choice has been made! :eek:

I have given it a great run and held off as long as possible but unfortunately there comes a time when I must move on... things are pretty much back together and will not take much to finish, its a blank canvas to finish the way a person would want to.

Any ideas on what I should ask for it?

I don’t think you want to know lol

your probably better off finishing it off and listing it, finishing it will be an overwhelming daunting task for most.

I don’t think you want to know lol

your probably better off finishing it off and listing it, finishing it will be an overwhelming daunting task for most.

Its not that big a deal to finish, I am at the bottom of my piggybank so funds to finish completely is not going to happen unfortunately

You had it listed for $35,000 before, no? Use that as a starting point and index your time and investment until now.

Good luck with the sale.

What does it still need?, power? Pod? Steering? Hydrolics? Plus all the inside stuff?

Pretty much! I think I will list again for 35K I had quite a bit of interest at that price but the biggest downfall was it was not together. At least now it has been reassembled and you can see what it "will be"! I will not recover my man-hours so I do need to recover investment :)

You built it like a tank, it will drive right though most fibre glass boats. So don’t sell yourself short.

Issue is most people will look at it as 35k
Plus what another 30-60k depending on power options and everything else. And for people who are not handy even more to try to sub all that out. Plus waiting on all that stuff to get done can be major pain in the butt.

you can get a lot of boat for 60 to 90k.

agreed not build like a tank like this one but less of a hassle.

if someone paid you to finish it how much would you sell it to finish it? Say with twin 150s?

I'd guess with new twins, electronics, interior, rigging its another plus $60 to $90,000 depending on trims.

Say a fella is into it for around $100 to $125,000 that seems pretty damn good to me.

I'd guess with new twins, electronics, interior, rigging its another plus $60 to $90,000 depending on trims.

Say a fella is into it for around $100 to $125,000 that seems pretty damn good to me.

nah, cut out the transom put on a cheap motor, cut off the roof, put in cheap steering,kick out the side windows and the back and use it to haul lumber and supplies back and forth to a cabin lol.

lol only joking but new someone that bought a 22 footer shell for cheap, put a 50hp on it and hauled stuff to their cabin in agamemnon channel.

in all seriousness tho you boat is far to complete and mint for anything like that and I hope who ever does buy it does it justice.

Last edited:
2 things that will help you sell this boat that come to mind; 1. get it out to the Coast and 2. have a complete structural survey in hand by an independent surveyor. You've well documented your process to date, and in the public domain, so having the survey to corroborate your efforts will mitigate the grind due to the unknown.

2 things that will help you sell this boat that come to mind; 1. get it out to the Coast and 2. have a complete structural survey in hand by an independent surveyor. You've well documented your process to date, and in the public domain, so having the survey to corroborate your efforts will mitigate the grind due to the unknown.
A survey might be useful for someone who knows nothing about boats, but personally I give zero faith in most marine surveys. I will find rot and defect that a surveyor would overlook. An interested buyer for a rig like this will know the value of it, and realize they couldn’t put it together for cheaper especially taking the man hours and quality of work. If Hourston was still in business this bare hull new would be worth twice the asking price, and this one is better than new...

The survey simply provides another data point for a seller, like offering a compression and leak down test for a collector car heading to auction. By no means should a buyer accept the sellers documentation opposed to doing their own due diligence.

Trade you, mine is already on the island but downriggers don't come with it! It looks like you still have enough boats to keep prettymuch anybody happy...

Only if I owe you some cash as well, I don’t want to take advantage of the situation...

Trade you, mine is already on the island but downriggers don't come with it! It looks like you still have enough boats to keep prettymuch anybody happy...

I only have 0ne (1) boat :) lol I am getting some interest already so fingers crossed, we'll see ;)

will that thing take an XL outboard directly ? or does it need a pod and/or notch ? also is there glass and is the cabin roof on or just a mockup ? the trailer also looks waay too short. how much does she weigh ?

Last edited:
Back