23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
Caught a lot of fish over 14 years with that setup. Out the 50 fathom edge when most were inshore, never swamped. Not half the boat a hourston is either....

Attachments

• 0EFA08F3-B7FA-4698-ABCF-448285F75B95.jpeg
    0EFA08F3-B7FA-4698-ABCF-448285F75B95.jpeg
    353.6 KB · Views: 144
Caught a lot of fish over 14 years with that setup. Out the 50 fathom edge when most were inshore, never swamped. Not half the boat a hourston is either....

Nice pic :D thx

^^^^I suggested that option too,but my advise would still be a pod,glass or aluminum.

Want to help with a glass design, its kinda intimidating although hard to admit. I know you would have lots to offer? :)

Last edited:
OK, I get what you guys are saying and your input HAS NOT fallen on deaf ears, I am listening! You all have listed valid safety concerns, resale and performance benefits. But consider the Parkers, BW, DE and the Steiger Crafts etc, etc in the same class with notched transoms, are they all "junk"? NO of course not... and do they sell? Of course they do...

Will a notched transom decrease the value, maybe? but when you consider the quality of this build and the fact that it will still have a tad bit more deck space with a notched transom as a 23'er with a pod, it doesn't seem so bad. hahaha

I am not saying that I am completely set against the POD, no at all, I just need to be very WISE where I spend money on this build without sacrificing quality and safety. $4k spent on a pod will not = $4 at resale, maybe 1/2 that if I am lucky.

As I research, this topic has been an age old debate with great pros and cos for both, I know where most of you guys stand on this issue and preference in favour of the POD addition :)

If designed right a splash well with the splash wall will prevent little to no water entry...

Here is where I am coming from:
1. this boat will live on a trailer for as long as I own it, I don't like the continuing stress that the overhang and weighted motors have for long and frequent travels.
2. in reverse/backing down the water goes under the boat with a notched transom vs POD the water pushes against the transom, so less control with a POD in reverse
3. Resale, not sure it will affect a sale either way?
4. Safety, I would rather clear a snagged line in a prop from inside the boat rather than out on a POD, especially if I am alone
5. Corrosion concerns of the aluminum bracket over time
6. Additional intrusions through the transom for bracket attaching
To clear a snagged line I just get out on the pod. I have those no slip sandpaper strips on it

You would have to decide whether your going single,twins,kicker and size for the weight . I would suggest following the bottom shape aft,work out the transom angle,keep it as small in width as will allow your motors to tilt fully ,high enough with extra long shafts,full width swim grid.The biggest variable will be the pod width to carry the weight.

Is it just me or did no-one else take the glass out of these frame and reseal? I can't for the life of me find replacement seals etc... lol
Not sure if you've solved this yet; I'm reading this thread like a series so dont want to skip ahead lol

The is a company called Faucher in Port Coquitlam the sells a million kinds of weather stripping and seal stripping.

http://www.faucher.ca/04_Gaskets_and_Seals.html

Last edited:
Well now that is a very good question, my number 1 factor was hoping my wife would feel more secure in a bigger boat and want to spend more time in it with me! :) She looked at and got into both and said, keep the 26! So i did...

Also, at the time, I kinda had the transom mount idea in my mind even with the 23 so my thought was if I continue down this path of a notched transom the 26 would:
- better performance
- more stable
- little better in rough weather
- more room than the 23 for the family
- I was informed that the V-berth was bigger in the 26 than the 23, which I know now that is false...
- bigger cabin
- I like the longitude lines better on the 26
- bigger is better, is it not? lol
- same amount of time and materials to redo so why not go with the bigger boat
just playing devils advocate here Mr.Snyder, but a lot of the reasons you listed would also apply to the pod debate ;)

I have no pod building skills and am somewhat intimidated by what you have already done. Like we spoke about, after my DE hardtop build the only thing to make it "perfect" would be the 150 hanging of a correctly designed pod. I have only seen a few welled boats podded, never seen a podded boat removed and welled? With your skills and attitude you could easily make a pod. Off course you must continue with your thread (every detail) as some of us are sitting on the fence scared but learning and gaining from you. So for me I say pod please.

HM

There isnt any added stress to boat the way the design pods they are bolted over the whole back transom, REALLY not a factor.. get a good builder who has done many and make it a step up transom backing up a boat this size no matter what you do is a ***** lol even with my duo prop which makes it way easier they are heavy and dont move on a dime...

You can strengthen the transom where the pod is bolted/glassed on, by adding a couple reinforcing knees on the inside. This was done on my 27 Orca conversion. Hopefully in the water in a couple weeks.

I thought one of your concerns was the size of the back deck and why you were thinking of shrinking the cabin?
Won’t a cut out take up 2 or 3 feet of your cockpit? There are so many brand new boats being built with pods don’t think it’s an issue. If it bothers you while in storage just block the pod up. Another reason to go single too. 4 or 5 hundred pounds less back there

I would love to have a 'notched' transom/motorwell.
Having the mass of the motor closer to the c.g. of the hull has many benefits.
Pods aren't without their own unique set of issues.

I would do a hull extension/ pod. All fiberglass. So much more room, seconds as a swim grid. A guy extended his Grady on the hull truth and documented it. Was awesome.

I would love to have a 'notched' transom/motorwell.
Having the mass of the motor closer to the c.g. of the hull has many benefits.
Pods aren't without their own unique set of issues.
well that really depends on the shape of the pod, if you go hull extension you get more flotation(that you can support with proper bunk board placement) i have podded a boat and loved how it drove. no drawback as far as i was concerned, IMHO before i cut a notch in the transom, i would put another inboard in it

I haven't read this full thread yet, but looks like you are doing some awesome work. And that Bertram is beautiful. But one think that looks a bit sketchy is the lack of fore/aft bracing on the bow hull brace!

Just a quick pic to show you guys how the sanding/cutting of the new gelcoat is coming.... I am thinking I am getting a 90% gloss/shine :)

IMG_0317.jpeg IMG_0316.jpeg

Last edited:
Back