23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
not sure what the composite stringer material is that glasply used in there boats to avoid the rot issue. but it works well

sorry not too sure, but so will wood if done correctly, anyways I will not have to worry about it in my lifetime, maybe my grandchildren, when they are in their 50's, will need to get a boat survey :) lol

I’m loving the build, Rob. Unfortunately I’m losing a little interest with all the technical jargon, acronyms, and numbers. I’m just a simple guy but maybe I missed the posts where you explained what all the trade slang’ terms mean in relation to the build. :)

I’m loving the build, Rob. Unfortunately I’m losing a little interest with all the technical jargon, acronyms, and numbers. I’m just a simple guy but maybe I missed the posts where you explained what all the trade slang’ terms mean in relation to the build. :)

Sorry my apologies, you are absolutely right.. good idea, I'll do up a short list explanation... hope this helps! FYI, I went back and posted this list in the first posting of this thread, Thank you

Fibreglass Defined

CSM =(also known as chopped strand mat and fiberglass mat) has short strands of fibers held together with a resin binder. The fibers are randomly oriented. Mat is only compatible with polyester and vinyl ester resin. When resin is added to the mat, the binder dissolves and the fibers can be moved around. It is easier to conform mat to tight curves and corners than it is with weaved fabric and is made up of 25-50MM long fiberglass strands.

Binder = typically styrene-soluble that acts like glue connecting the fibers. The binder is designed to dissolve upon contact with styrene in polyester resin or vinylester resin.

Fibreglass = Chopped strand mat or CSM is a form of reinforcement used in fiberglass. It consists of glass fibers laid randomly across each other and held together by a binder. ... Because the binder dissolves in resin, the material easily conforms to different shapes when wetted out.

Fillet = A fillet is a continuous bead of thickened epoxy or polyester mixture applied to the angle created between two parts. It increases the surface area of the bond and serves as a structural adhesive and brace.

Tabbing = Typical construction (called "tabbing") involves bonding stringers and bulkheads to the hull with strips of fiberglass cloth wetted with polyester resin. Done correctly, these tabs give an initially strong connection that seems permanent

OZ = For example, if an application requires 3 square yards of a 4 ounce-per-square-yard fabric (total fabric weight is 12 ounces), 12 ounces of resin will be needed. However, if 3 yards of 10 ounce-per-square-yard fabric is chosen (total fabric weight is 30 ounces), 30 ounces of resin will be needed.

1708 = 1708 indicates the weight of each layer. The biaxial weave cloth is 17 oz. per square yard, and the chop strand mat backing is 8 oz per square yard. Total of 25 oz is required per yard of 1708, 17 for the biaxial weave cloth + 8 for the chop strand mat.

Schedule = This is a list of the individual layers and orientation of the plies

Boat Structure Terms

Stringers = Stringers are support members bonded into boat hulls, usually oriented parallel to the long axis of a boat hull.

Keelson = a longitudinal structure running above and fastened to the keel of a ship in order to stiffen and strengthen its framework.

Bulkhead = A bulkhead is an upright wall within the hull of a ship, other kinds of partition elements within a ship are decks and deckheads.

Transom = A transom is the flat part which forms the stern of a square ended boat.

Last edited:
Thank you to Buckethead905, I gave it some thought and would like to keep this thread as on topic as possible, I am guilty of going off on a tangent and entertaining others "Bill" :( lol

This thread is now on page 12 and I am only at fibreglassing stringers with much more to come.

To those silent followers please don't hesitate to ask if you need clarification on ANYTHING, we are all here to learn from one another. I take it for granted that everyone else knows what I am thinking, geeze did I just say that? I sound like my very loving and understanding wife...:)

Let me know if you would like to see more pictures of specific things or more videos and I will try and make time to accommodate, I would like to keep this thread as interactive as possible. You can PM me if that works better, Thank you

Last edited:
not sure what the composite stringer material is that glasply used in there boats to avoid the rot issue. but it works well

"The problem wasn't the material or wood selection, but the techniques from the manufacture. This is a very common issue and typically it boils down to cheap methods and/or stupidity. The factorys' usually skimp on resin saturation of the wooden elements, not enough fabric and insufficient encapsulation. Couple this with moisture and/or fuel absorbing foam in direct contact with poorly coated wooden stuff, well . . ."

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...74-glas-ply-gauranteed-rot-or-maybe-ok.58058/

Last edited:
Sorry my apologies, you are absolutely right.. good idea, I'll do up a short list explanation... hope this helps! FYI, I went back and posted this list in the first posting of this thread, Thank you

Fibreglass Defined

CM =(also known as fiberglass mat) has short strands of fibers held together with a resin binder. The fibers are randomly oriented. Mat is only compatible with polyester and vinyl ester resin. When resin is added to the mat, the binder dissolves and the fibers can be moved around. It is easier to conform mat to tight curves and corners than it is with weaved fabric.

Fillet = A fillet is a continuous bead of thickened epoxy or polyester mixture applied to the angle created between two parts. It increases the surface area of the bond and serves as a structural adhesive and brace.

Tabbing = Typical construction (called "tabbing") involves bonding stringers and bulkheads to the hull with strips of fiberglass cloth wetted with polyester resin. Done correctly, these tabs give an initially strong connection that seems permanent

OZ = For example, if an application requires 3 square yards of a 4 ounce-per-square-yard fabric (total fabric weight is 12 ounces), 12 ounces of resin will be needed. However, if 3 yards of 10 ounce-per-square-yard fabric is chosen (total fabric weight is 30 ounces), 30 ounces of resin will be needed.

1708 = 1708 indicates the weight of each layer. The biaxial weave cloth is 17 oz. per square yard, and the chop strand mat backing is 8 oz per square yard. Total of 25 oz is required per yard of 1708, 17 for the biaxial weave cloth + 8 for the chop strand mat.

Schedule = This is a list of the individual layers and orientation of the plies

Boat Structure Terms

Stringers = Stringers are support members bonded into boat hulls, usually oriented parallel to the long axis of a boat hull.

Keelson = a longitudinal structure running above and fastened to the keel of a ship in order to stiffen and strengthen its framework.

Bulkhead = A bulkhead is an upright wall within the hull of a ship, other kinds of partition elements within a ship are decks and deckheads.

Transom = A transom is the flat part which forms the stern of a square ended boat.

Rob, awesome explanation, thank you! I reread the thread and have a good understanding what you’ve done, and learned a lot. Nice work :cool:

Rob, awesome explanation, thank you! I reread the thread and have a good understanding what you’ve done, and learned a lot. Nice work :cool:

Thank you sir, please let me know if there is anything else you would like information or explanation on,,, ;)

"The problem wasn't the material or wood selection, but the techniques from the manufacture. This is a very common issue and typically it boils down to cheap methods and/or stupidity. The factorys' usually skimp on resin saturation of the wooden elements, not enough fabric and insufficient encapsulation. Couple this with moisture and/or fuel absorbing foam in direct contact with poorly coated wooden stuff, well . . ."

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...74-glas-ply-gauranteed-rot-or-maybe-ok.58058/
they did not start composite till 1979

All stinger, keels and transom glassed in... just in the process of installing bulkhead with thickened epoxy forward and aft of fuel tank which will be 80" long, leaving app 12" for bilge area.

Bulkheads are scribed from 1 3/4" x 14" material...

IMG_8380.jpeg IMG_8381.jpeg IMG_8383.jpeg IMG_8384.jpeg

Last edited:
Once its done i would suggest some holes in the bottom of bulkhead with a thru hull/ plug assembly on each bulk head where you can access it ... I used a thru hull fitting that i sika flexed on screwed on other end , and used little 3/4 inch plugs dont ask how or why or how it can happen but water does seem to get into them some how (maybe condensation)?, in winter time while boat is on a tilt open them all up and let water drain into bilge or these

906081-ov-garboard-drains-marine-plumbing.jpg

Got the boats out to the car wash since it was around plus 4 degrees, got rid of all the road crud and built-up fibreglass dust... these boats look sporty with no windshield :)

IMG_0189.jpeg IMG_8390.jpeg

Wondering how you are going to the transition from the hull to the roof? That scabbed in piece is kind of ******. If you go off the current hull than the roof is a little longer which is nice, and you gain that deck space, but than it's a PIA stepping into the cabin with it sticking back and no higher. Could build new centre section with windows out of aluminum and gain the height, and use the stock roof.

Wondering how you are going to the transition from the hull to the roof? That scabbed in piece is kind of ******. If you go off the current hull than the roof is a little longer which is nice, and you gain that deck space, but than it's a PIA stepping into the cabin with it sticking back and no higher. Could build new centre section with windows out of aluminum and gain the height, and use the stock roof.
It shouldn't be too hard to fit a piece of foam or wood to the deck and glass over it,just more work,dust,fill,sand,repeat.:) I assume you meant the small 6-8" piece under the cabin side aft of the windshield? I think I must be missing something?

Last edited:
Back