23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
All fillets and tabbing complete, ready to glass er in... :)

IMG_8365.jpeg IMG_8366.jpeg

Reactions: NDT
Man it appears your out of work because you have enough time to do this however you have deep pockets.. I'm envious lol!

Man it appears your out of work because you have enough time to do this however you have deep pockets.. I'm envious lol!

Thx Bill, pockets aren't so deep anymore, no work = no money :(

Don't be envious man :) it's great to be able to work on a boat like this, total gut and rebuild, I really enjoy it. With that being said I have my moments of, what have I done?? LOL

Don't be envious man :) it's great to be able to work on a boat like this, total gut and rebuild, I really enjoy it. With that being said I have my moments of, what have I done?? LOL
Already?! Oh man we'll be here for you in another few months when you're half done.

Already?! Oh man we'll be here for you in another few months when you're half done.

Thx Bill it will all be worth it when we are sitting on the command bridge! haha

That's funny. I'm neck deep in a solo, whole house gut and redo. I've had lots of those what am I doing moments. Keep up the pace, you're doing a great job.

That's funny. I'm neck deep in a solo, whole house gut and redo. I've had lots of those what am I doing moments. Keep up the pace, you're doing a great job.

Thx bro, O believe you me, I have build 4 houses now and a few flips and some 1/2 doz reno’s.... been there done that... lol

Yes it will be! Hey my new neighbor has what looks like a 26' to 28' with 10' beam and he said he would sell it for $1000, don't know if it includes the trailer... Looks good from far!

no no no, did i say no? :) appreciate the info but will pass on it. @kingblazer84 maybe for you? :rolleyes: 26' is all I can muster! :eek:

Hey, gots the out side stringer glassed today but ran out of resin, can't do the other stringers until Monday :(

Keel schedule w/6" overlap
- embedded in epoxy (West System)
- thickened poly resin fillet with 1/2 cm fibres and tabbed in with 1oz cm
- 1oz cm wrap the keel (starter layer)
- 3 x 1708 wrap the keel
- 1oz cm wrap the keel (finish layer)

4" Stringer schedule w/6" overlap
- thickened poly resin fillet with 1/2 cm fibres and tabbed in with 1oz cm 4"
- 1oz cm wrap the stringer (starter layer) 24"
- 2 x 1708 angled tabbing strips (stringer to hull) 5" & 8"
- 1708 wrap the stringer 12 "
- 1oz cm wrap the stringer (finish layer) 14"

10" Stringer schedule w/6" overlap
- 1oz cm wrap the stringer (starter layer) 36"
- 2 x 1708 angled tabbing strips (stringer to hull) 8" & 10"
- 1708 wrap the stringer 26 "
- 1oz cm wrap the stringer (finish layer) 30"

Transom
- 3 x 3/4" marine plywood laminated with thickened epoxy (West System)
- 1st layer 1oz cm
- 4 x 1708
- transom tabbed to hull with roven & 1oz cm combo (3 x roven, 4 x cm)

Floor
- 3/4" good one side pine plywood ACX
- thickened poly resin with (1/2" fibres, profill, anti-sag) for fillet and in-fill
- on underside of floor penetrating coat of poly resin then 1oz cm
- floor tabbed in with 1oz cm, 1708, cm, roven
-topside 2 x 1oz cm

Hull Stiffeners
- 4" pvc drain pipe cut in half
- heat gun used to form to hull
- hot patch with 1oz cm
- lamination cm, 1708, 1708, roven

IMG_8374.jpeg IMG_8375.jpeg

Last edited:
Any ideas has to how to fasten the floor? I plan on oversizing screw holes and filling with epoxy then re-screwing into the epoxy plug to avoid water penetration into the wooden stringer...

1. thickened epoxy on top of stringers and screw down floor
2. dbl sided adhesive gasket on top of stringers and screw down floor
3. 3M 5200 on top of stringers and screw down floor
4. Sikaflex on top of stringers and screw down floor

Unknown.jpeg

Last edited:
I have to ask wouldn't a pvc or starboard type material be better for the stringers with all this anxiety over water?

I have to ask wouldn't a pvc or starboard type material be better for the stringers with all this anxiety over water?

I have no anxiety :) just do best practice and all good...

I have no anxiety :) just do best practice and all good...
Gotcha. Well let's call it extra work in that case. Is this considered best practice or have boat builders entered the 21st century yet?

I don't mean any offense by this I'm just really intrigued by the process.

Gotcha. Well let's call it extra work in that case. Is this considered best practice or have boat builders entered the 21st century yet?

Haha, good question? I really like working with wood, I am sure other materials can be substituted but at what cost...

Haha, good question? I really like working with wood, I am sure other materials can be substituted but at what cost...
I know stateside pvc boards and sheet material is readily available at building supply stores. It cuts, fastens and sands just like wood. Haven't seen much of it here.

I know stateside pvc boards and sheet material is readily available at building supply stores. It cuts, fastens and sands just like wood. Haven't seen much of it here.

Agreed, can't even get Coosa board this side of the boarder, non that I have found anyways, I called everywhere I can think of :(

Agreed, can't even get Coosa board this side of the boarder, non that I have found anyways, I called everywhere I can think of :(
Oh well there you have it there is something else lol. Never heard of it but seems like a good idea. Too bad we live in the remote frigid North with no access to highways and rail systems.

Oh well there you have it there is something else lol. Never heard of it but seems like a good idea. Too bad we live in the remote frigid North with no access to highways and rail systems.

Ya, my horse wouldn't be able to make the US side trip anyways and the old buggy I have, well it's in desperate need of repairs, good thing we still have lumber to work with... :eek:

not sure what the composite stringer material is that glasply used in there boats to avoid the rot issue. but it works well

Back