23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
Need opinions, should I leave this vent cutout or in-fill, I personally think they will look super kool, especially with new stainless vents... thoughts o_O

IMG_8288.jpeg _DSC01451.jpg

I used aluminum sheet but my boat is UGLY! Yeah they sure can twist an spread with everything out. Beautiful work!

I used aluminum sheet but my boat is UGLY! Yeah they sure can twist an spread with everything out. Beautiful work!

Thx Bill, if you look closely in the pic, I already have a fibreglass backing made to start filling in on-top of this layer, which is made of 2 x 1708... Maybe ill just infill and gain that much more freeboard :D while out tuna hunting...

Here are some more samples of 1708 thickness... 1/8" for 3 layers and just shy of 3/16" for 4 layers. Hope this helps!!

From what I can remember the thickness of the stringer and transom glass was only around a 1/16" so only two layers max. For the keel it was a bit heaver I would say 1/8 ". Does this agree with what you guys have seen as well...?

IMG_8301.jpeg IMG_8300.jpeg IMG_8298.jpeg

Last edited:
Update on the outside of transom...

Pic 1 - all sanded prep for glass
Pic 2 - 2 layers of CM to prevent bleed through from all in-fills
Pic 3 - sacrificial coat of gel coat to be sanded and used as a cure layer for glass

IMG_8314.jpeg IMG_8315.jpeg IMG_8317.jpeg

Last edited:
Also, the command bridge is ready for paint :)

IMG_8318.jpeg IMG_8319.jpeg

Are you going to spray the finish, or do the “roll & tip” method?
Really fine looking work!

Honestly Prfisher I do not know for certain. I am leaning towards Alexseal, roll and tip... :cool:

You guys deserve this, this is how I chose Hourston and long term plans for the 26'er

When I started looking at boats about 2 years ago the Steiger Craft was my number one pick, then Seabreeze, then Parker. But, unfortunately not too many Steiger Crafts on the West coast or Parkers in my price range, Seabreeze is built in Newfoundland, so its gots to be good :) but too costly to get one transported. I then continued the search to include local BC boat builders and that's when I got on to Hourston and Double Eagle. Fast forward many sleepless nights of deep thought and well, the rest is history. The sleek lines and design of the Hourston really caught my eye so I began researching this boat, the more I researched the more I liked, as you know I bought a 20'er first, then had second thoughts that it wouldn't be big enough, so I found a 23'. Again, thinking of how much we used our past boats, ALLOT, and the number of people we have onboard, ALLOT, while out enjoying Kal, Okanagan and the Shuswap's I thought it best to get the 26'er. This boat will be spending most of its life on the interior lakes of BC with, hopefully, at least 2 x 5-7 days to the coast... with that being said I want to build this boat in such as ways that it will not only function for my needs but for others as well, if I ever decide or need to sell.

Also, the 23' Hourston is sold so for the record I have only ONE boat the 26' Hourston, I am still doing some work on the 23' for the new owner while I have some time.

Now you have it, kool beans! :)

Last edited:
I think the boat will float now, i glassed in the toilet in/out lets as well as thru-hull for sink discharge ...

IMG_8335.jpeg IMG_8336.jpeg

Solid epoxy in-fill in place for when I install a garboard drain...

IMG_8344.jpeg IMG_8345.jpeg

Just install fillets and tabbing to prepare for glass lay-up... Good luck ripping these suckers out in 50yrs when she is reno'ed again :)

IMG_8348.jpeg IMG_8349.jpeg

Last edited:
Back