2023 Tuna Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is salt in in WH now..... or at least I think it is new. End of the government dock. Great guys working it. Even hauled it down to the boat.

A buddy fished north from Westport to Ucluelet yesterday. He ran west about 50 nm then north. Dad, son, grandpa trio. Said there were plenty of fish up north. If you see the shiny newer 45’ Cabo in the area, hit em up for details.

img_2341-jpeg.1508991

We have good numbers of fish, but the moon had them in a cruddy feeding pattern. Would only come up for a couple hours and then head back down to 200-300’. Had to be on em when they decided to come up. gotta run at least 50nm. At least the water conditions have been ridiculously amazing. Lake Pacific for weeks. Looks like it’s getting back to the normal 4-6’ swells going into this weekend.

Feral will be for sale by the end of a September. Then we start our keeper cat :).

We have good numbers of fish, but the moon had them in a cruddy feeding pattern. Would only come up for a couple hours and then head back down to 200-300’. Had to be on em when they decided to come up. gotta run at least 50nm. At least the water conditions have been ridiculously amazing. Lake Pacific for weeks. Looks like it’s getting back to the normal 4-6’ swells going into this weekend.

Feral will be for sale by the end of a September. Then we start our keeper cat :).
Another cat?!?! Bigger? More suited to overnighting?

Another cat?!?! Bigger? More suited to overnighting?

Another cat for sure. Not bigger at all. If I don’t want to be out there in this boat, I really don’t want to be out there. A little bigger is not going to make a difference. Not going to change the hull, just the interior configuration. This one is pretty dialed for charters and 6-pack groups. Not really what I want moving forward. #3, and the last one, will probably have a smaller cuddy and smaller cabin. Considering only 4 Shockwaves instead of 6. I really don’t want to get in the habit of looking to have 6-7 people aboard most trips. 4-5 people is more fun and we don’t need to catch as many fish to keep the fish to angler ratio in good order.

Found a handful today off brooks but was patchy for us . Couldn’t get an updated shot this morning , so went out blind . Ended up finding them at 40 nm offshore , clearest , bluest , hottest water I’ve seen out there . 64.5 degrees , not ideal for albacore . The fish we did get game in small groups including a really nice triple header , 25 25 31 lbs . Two giant mola mola , fin whales , albatross , blue sharks everywhere , and a large unidentified shark that skirted by us 15 ‘ away with its dorsal and tail fin out , very triangular fin and sleek shark , looked 7 - 8’ , have seen salmon sharks plenty and it didn’t scream salmon shark at me , dare I say mako?

Heading up to Kyuquot next Friday (the 26th) for 4 days. Bringing along tuna gear in the hope the fish may have moved in closer south of Brooks and that there are other boats from Kyuquot or Esperanza heading out. Don’t have the temperature breaks or anything so hoping the more serious guys on the forum may have some updates. I’m only 24’ so can’t run with the big dogs. Thanks.

Hey all... will be in Winter Harbour starting Aug 24th for about 6 to 8 days... will be headed out for Tuna weather permitting. SST looks much better now. PM me or contact me on radio (Alaskan 270) if you have interest in heading out.

Hey all... will be in Winter Harbour starting Aug 24th for about 6 to 8 days... will be headed out for Tuna weather permitting. SST looks much better now. PM me or contact me on radio (Alaskan 270) if you have interest in heading out.
Good luck Redman! We will miss you out there, we are heading up on September 8th for a week, hoping to get a few tuna shots in that week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back