2023 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not last weekend. The boat they use for herring/chovy is out of commission and their shop has 3 week backup of work from paying customers.

Nice catch and release springs last week (72-81 cm) but all wild. Curious if anyone are still finding prawns? Last dip only 6-7 sizeable prawns. Curious if commercial simply cleaned them out or my luck turned.FullSizeRender.jpegIMG_6161.jpeg

Last edited:
350’ south end of Agamemnon/Nelson area

Ssshhhh...haha. Boat is on the coast now and I'm headed up any day, so keep an eye out as i will be around all of July into August. See ya around uo there!

See you out there! Thinking of running the Hourston up from Squamish. Alternatively, I'll see you from the Proline.

So ... many ... salmon. Lots of wild coho (and springs - I accidently caught a 25 pounder at 35 feet on the downrigger - throwing it back was rather painful) but enough clipped to limit out each day. And big. 7 lb 7 oz was the biggest today. Epsom mainly, but have also had lots of action on the Vaucroft/Secret Cove side of the North Thormanby as well as at Pirate Rock. Mostly full of anchovy but also some big herring. 50 years up here and I've never seen anything like it. Empty prawn traps this year, but I'm not complaining.

I too have been having great luck with nice springs, and also hurting on the prawns LOL. Still looking for the hatch coho though. This weekend will bring some new bait!

Finally found some coho, released two beauties and a nice spring this morning. Finally found the hatchery coho (no picture). Strangely found them at 45’ and 90’.

Attachments

• IMG_6407.jpeg
    IMG_6407.jpeg
    671.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_6406.jpeg
    IMG_6406.jpeg
    409.1 KB · Views: 81
This has been the hottest fishing in 40 years.

I fished 4 days in a row 2.5 to 4 hours / day with a buddy at Epsom and we landed 71 salmon. best day was 19 Coho and 5 springs. None in a net and released off the side of the boat. There are crazy numbers of hatchery Coho's around. Not sure how long this will last, but its a super fun time to be out.

Attachments

• IMG_1552.jpeg
    IMG_1552.jpeg
    395.4 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_4584.jpeg
    IMG_4584.jpeg
    329.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 70974980716__15EA845A-ACDE-401E-A7A6-4A61807153AA.jpeg
    70974980716__15EA845A-ACDE-401E-A7A6-4A61807153AA.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_4575.jpeg
    IMG_4575.jpeg
    346.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1521.jpeg
    IMG_1521.jpeg
    298.7 KB · Views: 127
This has been the hottest fishing in 40 years.

I fished 4 days in a row 2.5 to 4 hours / day with a buddy at Epsom and we landed 71 salmon. best day was 19 Coho and 5 springs. None in a net and released off the side of the boat. There are crazy numbers of hatchery Coho's around. Not sure how long this will last, but its a super fun time to be out.
Fantastic report! What days were you out? Last couple of days the wind wasn't nearly as calm as your photos!!

Realize I posted this report in the Vancouver thread instead of Secret Cove / Pender Harbour.

In short: really good fishing! Heading out again tonight.

Got out for an hour and a half to Epsom last night, from 7:45 to 9:15. Started on the E side of the bank heading around the NE side in 80’ to 120’ with the riggers up at 35’ and 65’ to see if there were any coho.

No coho but did happen on two 20+ chinooks that were big heavy fish. Both peeled out line and had multiple runs. Released both beside the boat and they swam away. Got this one snap over the gunnel.

IMG_6754.jpeg

Carried on around the bank to the W side and picked up a few more chinooks. Then found the bait on the W side and ended the night with a doubleheader: one wild coho, one chinook.

No keepers but an amazing night on the water.

IMG_6756.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back