2023 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure is quiet on here. Heading up to Secret Cove area tomorrow for a few days and will get out and report back. If anyone has been out and had any action, please let me know.

Some fish being recorded on other forums but not here. Traditional areas including Jarvis, Pillings, Thormanby.

Trolled for ~2 hours around the N end of Thormanby yesterday (W and E side of the bank off Epsom Point) through the slack low around 4:45pm and didn't have any luck landing salmon. Had one on and lost it but it felt small. Ran spoons and might try something different next time (hootchie / plug).

Tried depths from 80' out to 250' and marked some light bait and scattered fish, mostly around 180' - 200', but nothing concentrated or feeling particularly fishy. Switched up tactics and got a ling off one of the humps where they school up for fresh table fare. Going to try to get out again tomorrow.

Heard from a friend about good mess of undersized fish caught off Sargeant Bay in the deeper contours towards Trail Islands but no keepers.

Got out again today for ~2 hours while running back to Vancouver. Stopped in to the contours just S of Reception Point as you leave Halfmoon Bay to the S, fishing towards Sargeant Bay.

Found some bait and fish between 155’ and 195’ and ran back and forth on those contours to a bump that comes up to 125’.

49095B14-B4F5-492F-912F-1702967061DD.jpeg

One skinny keeper at 65 cms and 6 more scrappers just undersized made for great late morning.

9BD14759-89E2-49C1-A0F0-C29DFD5D5BB7.jpeg

Back at the dock this wild fish turned out to be a marble. Super day on the water and fun to find new fishing spots.

What’s open right now? Thinking about heading out on the long weekend.
DfO is out checking hooks so you better know your Reg’s. New app with your license let’s you know what’s open based on your area.

Was hoping to hit Lesquitti but not sure what’s open. Is there any liveies at buccaneer bay anyone?

Closest you can get around secret cove to retention is into Jervis for marked springs only. I'm.not sure what the deal is on live bait at buccaneer Bay marina, give them a shout to check in. I'm finally headed up thay way this weekend to open the place up and will pop into Jervis bit I don't anticipate any retention as there are few marked fish in thay area in my experience.

Was in Jervis a couple weeks ago (battling winds). Tough time with slime/algae on the lines and dr lines. No springs. Couple of other boats out but didn't see any hits. Here's the link for the fishing app for online catch log and regs. https://www.fishingbcapp.ca/

Closest you can get around secret cove to retention is into Jervis for marked springs only. I'm.not sure what the deal is on live bait at buccaneer Bay marina, give them a shout to check in. I'm finally headed up thay way this weekend to open the place up and will pop into Jervis bit I don't anticipate any retention as there are few marked fish in thay area in my experience.
Can we at least try for a Ling?

Can we at least try for a Ling?
Terrin, see the regs, there are ling openings. As for Jervis, here is the map of the area where hatchery only chinook are currently open. (User is at own's risk for accuracy).

Attachments

• Jervis Hatchery Chinook Opening.jpg
    Jervis Hatchery Chinook Opening.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 91
There been the odd spring coming up in the usual spots, Thunder Bay etc. mostly unmarked though & lots of unders.

Coho opportunities coming June 1!!

"Unless otherwise specified below, the daily limit for Coho is two (2) per day, hatchery marked only, effective 00:01 hours June 1 to 23:59 hours December 31, 2023, in Areas 11 to 20, 111, and Subareas 29-1 to 29-5. These measures exclude finfish closed areas, Rockfish Conservation Areas (RCAs), and areas closed to salmon fishing to protect Southern Resident Killer Whales. Please check the DFO website referenced at the bottom of this notice for more information."

Coho opportunities coming June 1!!

"Unless otherwise specified below, the daily limit for Coho is two (2) per day, hatchery marked only, effective 00:01 hours June 1 to 23:59 hours December 31, 2023, in Areas 11 to 20, 111, and Subareas 29-1 to 29-5. These measures exclude finfish closed areas, Rockfish Conservation Areas (RCAs), and areas closed to salmon fishing to protect Southern Resident Killer Whales. Please check the DFO website referenced at the bottom of this notice for more information."
Anybody able to share where one might try for Coho near Egmont or Sechelt Inlet these days? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back