2023 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was out this morning from 6:15 - 8 am. Was a little lumpy and was the only boat out. Hooked 9 and landed 8. Lost a large spring hooked up on a chrome Superior # 7 @ 101 ft. Gotta love the commercial spoons. Took my two cohos.

Attachments

• IMG_4611.jpeg
    IMG_4611.jpeg
    363 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_4612.jpeg
    IMG_4612.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 80
Will be at Thormanby this thursday til tuesday and hope weather coorperates for a few of those days so i can join the action. Have all my coho gear ready to go ... just hoping I can get through all those springs to find a hatchery coho :) Nice to see so many fish around.

Went out today around slack tide. Hooked into a couple of wild coho but couldn’t get the hatchery.

Accidentally got into a 20lb+ spring at 40 feet off a spoon. Took almost all of our line. Happy to return it and ready to find it again on the 14th.
Will it be 1 spring over 65cm?

Another beautiful evening! Lots of springs and wild coho but no hatchery this time. I found a bait ball and it was almost like shooting fish on a barrel. Double after double after double. I changed to a single hook and tried to filter coho but still kept catching some beauty springs. The water was awesome!
IMG_6426.jpegIMG_6418.jpegIMG_6417.jpegIMG_6416.jpegIMG_6415.jpegIMG_6406.jpegIMG_6423.jpegIMG_6419.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6422.jpeg
    IMG_6422.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6409.jpeg
    IMG_6409.jpeg
    507.5 KB · Views: 45
Another beautiful evening! Lots of springs and wild coho but no hatchery this time. I found a bait ball and it was almost like shooting fish on a barrel. Double after double after double. I changed to a single hook and tried to filter coho but still kept catching some beauty springs. The water was awesome!
View attachment 94371View attachment 94372View attachment 94373View attachment 94374View attachment 94375View attachment 94376View attachment 94378View attachment 94380

Same story for us. We tried jigging for about 20 minutes on a bait ball and didn't get anything (My 10-year-old son loves jigging.). All the boats around us were on fish and we could hear them hooting. Son says, "Let's do some downrigging."

Fished 45' and 65' and both rods got fish consistently. Even split of fish between coho and chinooks.

He brought in his biggest fish yet, a ~15 lbs chinook, and we landed another ~15 lbs chinook too. Broke a hook we used it so much.

Ended the night on a double with a hatchery coho for the BBQ. Pretty great fishing and another amazing night.

Seeing a lot of catch and release fish being photographed in nets on the deck. I'm surprised that's still happening. I can see the odd one if it's some kind of prize or someone's first fish, but hammering fish all day and netting them just to post pictures and let them go seems counterproductive to our cause. Maybe people can spend some time learning and then teaching how to gaff release as part of introducing fishing to family and friends. Having a "landed" count going just seems so show-offy.

Seeing a lot of catch and release fish being photographed in nets on the deck. I'm surprised that's still happening. I can see the odd one if it's some kind of prize or someone's first fish, but hammering fish all day and netting them just to post pictures and let them go seems counterproductive to our cause. Maybe people can spend some time learning and then teaching how to gaff release as part of introducing fishing to family and friends. Having a "landed" count going just seems so show-offy.
We could do with a whole thread on here for release techniques and tools.

We could do with a whole thread on here for release techniques and tools.
We could... and should. the way the fishery is going coastwide catch and release will be a reality going forward. There's lots of good experience over the decades here on C&R and some really cool new C&R studies (by UBC, PSF, SFI) that are going on now that have shown some very interesting results... some counter to long held beliefs that I grew up with. Anyways, I'd be happy to add what info I have if you wanna get a thread going... probably the 'conservation' section?

back to reports. i'll be up at Epsom tomorrow evening if all goes to plan. Need to find a coho or 2 for my wife's bday dinner this weekend!

I switched to a rubber lined net to reduce scale and fin damage. I also pull them into the boat quickly to more easily remove the hook. The fish are tending to spin and roll causing the leader line to entangle in gills. You are correct though, I only pull and photograph a few of the 20 to the boat.
Overall, I follow DFO and UBC recommendations on catch and release - minimize time out of the water, use a rubber net, and don’t handle the fish. Also, spoons with single barbless hooks are the easiest to release.
Some have suggested using a gaff, I’m not sure that’s better for the fish.
Proper catch and release is part of the “sport” of fishing.

I switched to a rubber lined net to reduce scale and fin damage. I also pull them into the boat quickly to more easily remove the hook. The fish are tending to spin and roll causing the leader line to entangle in gills. You are correct though, I only pull and photograph a few of the 20 to the boat.
Overall, I follow DFO and UBC recommendations on catch and release - minimize time out of the water, use a rubber net, and don’t handle the fish. Also, spoons with single barbless hooks are the easiest to release.
Some have suggested using a gaff, I’m not sure that’s better for the fish.
Proper catch and release is part of the “sport” of fishing.
Once you learn how to use a gaff, you'll never go back to a net. Takes a few f&8kups to get the hang of it so don't give up on it. Keep sending the reports please - maybe with less pics of chinook on your deck. It's just a few more weeks until we can post pics of fish with some blood. :)

Once you learn how to use a gaff, you'll never go back to a net. Takes a few f&8kups to get the hang of it so don't give up on it at the start. Keep sending the reports please - maybe with less pics of chinook on your deck. It's just a few more weeks until we can post pics of fish with some blood. :)
I should have said that first, I am loving the reports. Sorry to be a downer

Went out for a quick couple of passes for Coho, just infont on Hodgson islands. Bait everywhere! Got two BEAUTIFUL wild coho to the boat (proper C&R done) and then lost another 3.

35-70 feet on the rigger with a couple of green/white spoons were doing the trick. Cannot wait to get that Hatchery!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back