2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you asked. I had to use a smaller ball because my 15lber doesn't have a 2nd eyelet. So a 12lb ball was used. It did pull the ball back, and I was going 2.4 to 3.2 kts. But all that said. It spun like a champ and as advertised in their sales pitch! If I can get a couple more I will, but i dont think they are making them anymore. It has tons of flash but seems to get it with relatively less resistance going through the water. And when the fish hit the spoon running above it. The pin pops and the fish take off. Most fish I could see doing the coho roll or in the air by the time I grabbed the rod. They weren't dragging a flasher around.
You probably know that you can share the same eyelet on the top. That’s where I hook my downrigger clip to. Or the stainless clip that you hook the cannon ball to, there’s enough room on that for you to put that little clip on your attraction flasher.

I was running my lighter flex rods yesterday, and oh boy was that ever a lot of fun. Those coho hit pretty hard at first and tug steadily. Not the violent headshake of a chinook so you don’t need that heavier flex. What a blast.

You probably know that you can share the same eyelet on the top. That’s where I hook my downrigger clip to. Or the stainless clip that you hook the cannon ball to, there’s enough room on that for you to put that little clip on your attraction flasher.

I was running my lighter flex rods yesterday, and oh boy was that ever a lot of fun. Those coho hit pretty hard at first and tug steadily. Not the violent headshake of a chinook so you don’t need that heavier flex. What a blast.
Yes, I know that, but if you look the chain coming off the top of the flasher looks a bit short, and I didn't have a longer bead chain to attach to the flasher. I thought it might bump the larger ball. I think they suggest a long chain if necessary in their booklet. But you are right, I could attach it there.
It all worked out since I was fishing so shallow. I also appreciated the lighter weight since my downrigger is manual!

Yes, that was noticeable, no bad jokes though. Now I wish I had bought one or two of those flashers.
Fun fact: manual downriggers cost more than electric ones....for every two manual downriggers you buy at a reasonable price you get to buy two electrics to replace them.
It's a deffered payment plan.

That school still around or have they moved on? I wonder where they go when they do leave. Point Atkinson? Howe Sound? QA? North Arm? I've never seen such consistently big hatch coho like that.
We’ll see, just finally got to the hump now was pretty bumpy, now it’s just “sloshy”. Nothing at CRC and Tunstall this morning

Sorry to derail things here, just not sure where to ask this. Who has payed for seasonal parking at Vanier with this ZipBy app?
As usual, anything associated with Vanier is a joke, this app included. I cannot find any way to get to seasonal parking on it. Called the help line and the guy says he is not trained for that and a manager will get back to me in a couple of days. What is happening in this world today??

Sorry to derail things here, just not sure where to ask this. Who has payed for seasonal parking at Vanier with this ZipBy app?
As usual, anything associated with Vanier is a joke, this app included. I cannot find any way to get to seasonal parking on it. Called the help line and the guy says he is not trained for that and a manager will get back to me in a couple of days. What is happening in this world today??
Tik Tok is worth 75 billion dollars. How can anything surprise you anymore?

Thanks! I'm gonna push off around 11 and run up to the coast, moving the boat for the summer finally woohoo!

A buddy just sent me a pic off Roberts creek and it's still ripping pretty good. Following sea.
My Sunshine Coast friend said waves are crashing on the Beach. A turn from yesterday.

It was pretty nasty particularly off the entrances to Howe sound. Then it sort of laid down from Gower to around the RC jetty and picked up right where it left off. Even in a following sea of sorts there were some 4'plus rollers.

Hope the guy off bowen is ok! I passed by at 1140 and there was a 20' aluminum boat that was disappearing into the troughs and a larger say 28'guy headed out to sea on the troll. As I passed towards paisley I saw a17' runabout headed out to sea, and the only other guys I saw going south were on an open bow 20' Grady going full send off each wave. It's not letting up yet either.

Last edited:
Yikes hope that guy was ok. I took off around 12:30. Got a couple hours in at the hump after 6-10am tucked away in Tunstall, wouldn’t have wanted to be on any smaller of a boat that’s for sure. 2 wilds released and a couple shook off, pretty slow. Couldn’t really put in a good effort today though.
First skunk in a while (none in the box anyways) but man the best June I’ve had in a while that’s for sure.

We tried to get to Cowan from Howe Sound way and it just wasn't worth it. Too uncomfortable trolling in that slop. Turned around to troll HITW till maybe it died down. We were into steady hits from 9-2. So never left. Tagged 10 and lost as many so happy to had given it a shot. All nooks biggest 72 cm. Also were checked by DFO. Couldn't find my Avid Angler permit and was told to take down the flag. Luckly I found it and they let us pass. At the same time I reported 3 traps to them with just deck bouys. One about 100 ft from where they stopped us. Was told they were not checking traps today and passed on by. Sorry not impressed with that.

Story about poachers. There were 3 prawn traps around the area we were trolling (HITW ). Eventually a big boat with 6 guys pulls up and cleans out the traps. They then parked near the shore and were enjoying the day (maybe even the prawns). So a hour goes by we are near a trap and a 16ft fiberglass whips in front of us pulls up to a trap and starts pulling it it. A young dad his son (about 14) and 2 little kids maybe 3-4. The guys in the boat start watching and eventually pull up next to then. Were there about 15 minutes with them. We were too far by then to know what was said. If you were that dad then shame on you. What you teach your kids will carry with them in the future. I'm sure those 2 little kids came away with fear fear as well. Hope you were taught a lesson and hope your kids don't fear the water in the future. So you never know who a poacher could be. 🤨

We tried to get to Cowan from Howe Sound way and it just wasn't worth it. Too uncomfortable trolling in that slop. Turned around to troll HITW till maybe it died down. We were into steady hits from 9-2. So never left. Tagged 10 and lost as many so happy to had given it a shot. All nooks biggest 72 cm. Also were checked by DFO. Couldn't find my Avid Angler permit and was told to take down the flag. Luckly I found it and they let us pass. At the same time I reported 3 traps to them with just deck bouys. One about 100 ft from where they stopped us. Was told they were not checking traps today and passed on by. Sorry not impressed with that.
Sue & I cruised by Cowen & Cape Roger Curtis then decided to just put a crab trap down in Tunstall...no bites. Lovely coming back thru English Bay by 6pm, too lumpy to fish of Bowen at all today.. Star is at Burrard Yacht Club for the summer, maybe see you out by HITW next weekend! Still have your sunglasses on the boat. 🙂

Hate to ask this but very curious, where is this "trough"???
Also, I know roughly were the hump is, but is there any specific depth of water that would let me know I'm on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back