2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Epic day with my mom and daughter! 3 lings in short order at my secret spot on the other side along with 2 rockfish. Then hit the hump around 1:30. Non stop action into the 3 PM tide change. All at 40’ and 45’ on white hootchies. Only landed 6 and of those one one wasn’t clipped. No chinooks. On top of that had another 15 at least of hits missed, long line releases and fish lost by the boat. It’s been a long time since my batting average was so low. I’ll blame it on the rookies but was also trolling really fast so maybe the fish weren’t getting a good bite on? When I managed to get two lines down guaranteed double header. Then went quiet at 3. Now I’m cracking open a beer and pulling out the vacuum packer! Cheers.

Attachments

• 3ED5994C-1B10-49EF-B9C9-C5896FD8349B.jpeg
    3ED5994C-1B10-49EF-B9C9-C5896FD8349B.jpeg
    429.6 KB · Views: 118
See everyone out there tomorrow then..? We’re shooting for 730am at the hump.
Have fun, all those reports of 15-20 plus fish are not an exaggeration, it is really that steady. I started at the hump, did a few loops but it got steady when crossing the trough heading just west of CRC. Lots of clipped coho, a few chunky chinook hit the short hoochie on a steep cable angle. It was much calmer there than Vancouver Harbour coming home.

Fished the morning with everyone else at Bowen. Slowed down the boat to set my gear before getting in there, and hit a fish while dropping the lines- 20' maybe. Rod was in hand! Pretty exciting, and a cluster of me trying to get organized to land the fish. Nice hatchery coho. A few minutes later...another fish ....chinook and released at the side of the boat. Quite a few minutes and loops and zigzags later and another fish hit at 35'. Pin pop and launches. A couple of jumps and sends the hook back at me. Another wild coho follows. Quick release in the water. Then another hatchery. Done.
Nakusp High School flasher on the ball, and an AP Anchovy spoon runing naked 6 ' above it. Forget the colour name. But green, glow with a florescent pin stripe. 2.5kts to 3.5kts speed.

Nice to hear you take care of your FOMO!
It was gooooood. 🤑
But to be honest it died after a flurry of action. Fished 2:30-5:30 and almost all the action was in the first hour and a half. The trough is real. Had hits between 40-80 and all action on some variation of a white hoochie. Everything from Purple to a Gold Betsy flasher got hits. Had a few tangles on big hits when I was stacking so I gave up on it. Fish are shooting straight up.
IMG_34301.jpg

Last edited:
It was gooooood. 🤑
But to be honest it died after a flurry of action. Fished 2:30-5:30 and almost all the action was in the first hour and a half. The trough is real. Had hits between 40-80 and all action on some variation of a white hoochie. Everything from Purple to a Gold Betsy got hits. Had a few tangles on big hits when I was stacking so I gave up on it. Fish are shooting straight up.
View attachment 93956
All these abbreviations and only 4 fish, starting to sound like a millennial lol

Nakusp High School flasher on the ball, and an AP Anchovy spoon runing naked 6 ' above it. Forget the colour name. But green, glow with a florescent pin stripe. 2.5kts to 3.5kts speed.

I almost bought a Nakusp attraction flasher at the boat show. It looked less drag inducing than the Harbour Chandler version. How much does it drag back the downrigger line?

Pretty bumpy at the moment out at the hump, tucked away at CRC waiting for it to die a bit, dragging the lines of course.
That school still around or have they moved on? I wonder where they go when they do leave. Point Atkinson? Howe Sound? QA? North Arm? I've never seen such consistently big hatch coho like that.

Pretty bumpy at the moment out at the hump, tucked away at CRC waiting for it to die a bit, dragging the lines of course.

Thanks! I'm gonna push off around 11 and run up to the coast, moving the boat for the summer finally woohoo!

A buddy just sent me a pic off Roberts creek and it's still ripping pretty good. Following sea.

I almost bought a Nakusp attraction flasher at the boat show. It looked less drag inducing than the Harbour Chandler version. How much does it drag back the downrigger line?
Glad you asked. I had to use a smaller ball because my 15lber doesn't have a 2nd eyelet. So a 12lb ball was used. It did pull the ball back, and I was going 2.4 to 3.2 kts. But all that said. It spun like a champ and as advertised in their sales pitch! If I can get a couple more I will, but i dont think they are making them anymore. It has tons of flash but seems to get it with relatively less resistance going through the water. And when the fish hit the spoon running above it. The pin pops and the fish take off. Most fish I could see doing the coho roll or in the air by the time I grabbed the rod. They weren't dragging a flasher around.

Attachments

• 20230623_111827.jpg
    20230623_111827.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 139
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back