2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skipped work for a troll today. Targeted coho and wanted to leave the nookies alone. Pushed off at 6:15 and started dropping 4 lines in Seymour Bay and headed to the deeper water off Cowans. Consistent action for the first hour at 15 to 20 feet on the pearl white hoochie and a 4 inch Pesca spoon with a pink stripe. 2 in the box and 2 boatside released and it started to die off after a couple laps at Cowans in the deeper water 500 feet I think. Had a Rusty Nail and turned up towards Roger Curtis in the 700-750 water and widened the spread to 15-45 feet deep and started hitting them closer to 40 feet on the glow chartreuse sparkle back hoochie. Tubbed out at 10:15, headed in and had lunch in Horseshoe Bay. Back home by 1:30. The water was perfect. Flat and had the nervous rippling look. The sun was out for almost the whole morning. Only had 2 unmarked coho out of 15 plus take downs. All take downs were hard pin poppers but not much running. All were stuffed with 5 inch plus anchovies. Not a single nookie which was fine by me on this trip. Even weirder didn’t see any bait on the sounder all morning. View attachment 93906
decent size

Out fishing at the most popular spot in the lower mainland right now. The secrets definitely out. Lol. One in the box right away, trying to find them though, not as frantic as it has been last couple of days. Still early though, I’ve had success here a bit later in the day, or at least later in the morning.

Last edited:
Out fishing at the most popular spot in the lower mainland right now. The secrets definitely out. Lol. One in the box right away, trying to find them though, not as frantic as it has been last couple of days. Still early though, I’ve had success here a bit later in the day, or at least later in the morning.
The best part about that spot though, is that nobody believes you. Even after you spell it out and draw a line. 90% of guys will quickly move into the rest of the pack in tight or way out.

This is how I know it. But everyone has their own opinions, of course ;) View attachment 93990
Awesome, thanks. I knew where the hump was, but the additional names are useful. We were out yesterday afternoon once wind/waves started to ease; one coho in the boat on the South Bowen beat soon after starting… lost two fish in the next 2 hours or so, then things died. Action seemed to be at 65 feet or so… one skinny G and one green hootchie. Moved off onto the hump at the end, but no luck other than a phantom bite or two, but we did see someone catch one. The hump is a big piece of deep water; interested in hearing some theories on how to fish it! Zig-zag the whole thing? One shallow, one deep? Stick to any small area/depth that had any action? Tight lines and good luck!

What’s the water like?

Awesome, thanks. I knew where the hump was, but the additional names are useful. We were out yesterday afternoon once wind/waves started to ease; one coho in the boat on the South Bowen beat soon after starting… lost two fish in the next 2 hours or so, then things died. Action seemed to be at 65 feet or so… one skinny G and one green hootchie. Moved off onto the hump at the end, but no luck other than a phantom bite or two, but we did see someone catch one. The hump is a big piece of deep water; interested in hearing some theories on how to fish it! Zig-zag the whole thing? One shallow, one deep? Stick to any small area/depth that had any action? Tight lines and good luck!
Pick a tack, hit a fish, do circles and stay on them. I'm convinced it's just a fish superhighway and they're there from Nanaimo to Sechelt to Bowen just shooting across. It used to be a lot of fun back when you could keep a fish in the spring and 20 or 30 boats would form a nice orderly line in the middle of nowhere once they got on the springs. Never seemed to have fish any deeper than 125 out there. For springs, I used to stack both sides and cover 45 feet all the way to 185 feet. Once I had a couple hits, I'd dial it in and drop to two rods. This is just my experience. I don't claim to be the best, but I'm not shy to share the things I've learned in my short fishing life. I'm sure there are plenty of guys with way more insight that laugh at my posts. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back