2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Planning to head out to troll south Bowen on Monday, first time for me. Think it's worth dropping prawn traps? I won't if the commercial guys are still active... but also if they are all done, would there even be any prawns left? :) Thanks for any advice. Love this forum!
I am planning the exact same thing. Was also wondering if it’s worth it.

Commercial prawning closing as of this week but good luck finding spots that still hold a few. Usually, not worth the try for me until late September.

Anyone get into good numbers of coho off Bowen with a good clipped rate yet? Heading out Thursday, Nanaimo’s still hot but wondering if Bowen is rockin. Cheers.

Anyone get into good numbers of coho off Bowen with a good clipped rate yet? Heading out Thursday, Nanaimo’s still hot but wondering if Bowen is rockin. Cheers.
I was fishing off Bowen today (Cowan), only Chinooks to the boat but I was really hoping for coho.

Skipped work for a troll today. Targeted coho and wanted to leave the nookies alone. Pushed off at 6:15 and started dropping 4 lines in Seymour Bay and headed to the deeper water off Cowans. Consistent action for the first hour at 15 to 20 feet on the pearl white hoochie and a 4 inch Pesca spoon with a pink stripe. 2 in the box and 2 boatside released and it started to die off after a couple laps at Cowans in the deeper water 500 feet I think. Had a Rusty Nail and turned up towards Roger Curtis in the 700-750 water and widened the spread to 15-45 feet deep and started hitting them closer to 40 feet on the glow chartreuse sparkle back hoochie. Tubbed out at 10:15, headed in and had lunch in Horseshoe Bay. Back home by 1:30. The water was perfect. Flat and had the nervous rippling look. The sun was out for almost the whole morning. Only had 2 unmarked coho out of 15 plus take downs. All take downs were hard pin poppers but not much running. All were stuffed with 5 inch plus anchovies. Not a single nookie which was fine by me on this trip. Even weirder didn’t see any bait on the sounder all morning. IMG_0109.jpeg

Skipped work for a troll today. Targeted coho and wanted to leave the nookies alone. Pushed off at 6:15 and started dropping 4 lines in Seymour Bay and headed to the deeper water off Cowans. Consistent action for the first hour at 15 to 20 feet on the pearl white hoochie and a 4 inch Pesca spoon with a pink stripe. 2 in the box and 2 boatside released and it started to die off after a couple laps at Cowans in the deeper water 500 feet I think. Had a Rusty Nail and turned up towards Roger Curtis in the 700-750 water and widened the spread to 15-45 feet deep and started hitting them closer to 40 feet on the glow chartreuse sparkle back hoochie. Tubbed out at 10:15, headed in and had lunch in Horseshoe Bay. Back home by 1:30. The water was perfect. Flat and had the nervous rippling look. The sun was out for almost the whole morning. Only had 2 unmarked coho out of 15 plus take downs. All take downs were hard pin poppers but not much running. All were stuffed with 5 inch plus anchovies. Not a single nookie which was fine by me on this trip. Even weirder didn’t see any bait on the sounder all morning. View attachment 93906
Man, the FOMO is SO INTENSE! aaaargh!

Just conquer the fear and go! It was easier for me to skip work today as the boss was with me pouring the rusty nails. I’ve been a miserable grouch for the past 2 weeks. Today I’m feeling California. Probably last until 9:00.
Man it's never as good as the first time either. Always chasing that high.

I hit Entrance today and after a grind morning with rookies (and only wilds to the boat) we got our sh** together and took home 6 hatchery coho in the last hour or so. Full report in the Nanaimo feed. Heading out again Saturday and looks like the Hump is hot now, save a bit of gas, lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back