2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol…Yea, thanks for your feedback it is totally helpful. I was worried maybe it was thinner and more flexible. I don’t have a rear rail so will be mounted in Scotty bases or flush mount rod holders. Having the risk of it pivoting back and items going overboard would be terrible.

I agree on the wasted space with the Nauti, I suppose the ability to store a bunch of extra gear would be nice for some applications but honestly I have better places to store rigging than hanging it off the side. Knife, olfa scissors and pliers is all I need up there … if I really wanted to hang some rigs or spoons I could top drill a few holes in the vertical edge I’m sure.

Shoot me a Pm if you find a sale price anywhere! Thanks

SeaDog 30" Gimbal Mount Fillet Table C$200​

Large, 30" wide by 12-5/8" deep, includes hose holder and towel bar.

329337271_576569450736765_2195527139899208963_n.jpg329266998_566506168830236_1301742313531628432_n.jpg

Kids are off for spring break at end of March so debating sneaking them out from Kamloops for a couple nights on the chuck. Pending a weather window, I assume there’s typically a few winters around and crabbing/prawning is still okay(not exactly sure when the commie opening is)? My boy (8) was a bit heartbroken last time all the crab was a 1/8th undersized and had to go back lol.
Interior life bud... just make the most of the time we got.

We had a great day out yesterday. Fished tunstall, waterfall ,and grace. got into fish at all spots. Speckle back hoochies and spoons on the bottom. Landed six lost one. Three between 66 and 70 cm. Most action between 180‘-200’ on the rigger.

I finally switched to 50lb brade mainline with a top shot of 30lb mono. That is a game changer.

Attachments

• 509A9AB0-B962-473A-844C-97F502FD7438.jpeg
    509A9AB0-B962-473A-844C-97F502FD7438.jpeg
    401.8 KB · Views: 189
We had a great day out yesterday. Fished tunstall, waterfall ,and grace. got into fish at all spots. Speckle back hoochies and spoons on the bottom. Landed six lost one. Three between 66 and 70 cm. Most action between 180‘-200’ on the rigger.

I finally switched to 50lb brade mainline with a top shot of 30lb mono. That is a game changer.
Wish I was out there with ya, sprinkle in some crabs and you got the west coast Hat trick. Beautiful boat, fellow Weldcraft. How many feet of mono, 50?
I’m assuming the line,clip pop is much easier with less line stretch at that depth. What’s the line connection of choice for braid to Mono, double uni? could see that knot needing attention throughout the fishing season, it’ll get a lot more wear and tear compared to the backing knot.

Last edited:

SeaDog 30" Gimbal Mount Fillet Table C$200​

Large, 30" wide by 12-5/8" deep, includes hose holder and towel bar.

View attachment 89396View attachment 89395
Tempting, but not quite big enough for me… trying to do it right the first time. Thanks for the share though, I’m sure someone here will be able to put it to good use!

Very nice. What did you like most about the switch to braid- easier bite detection and better hook sets? I was just reading Bill Haymonds book about this and will be setting up my next reel this way. I haven’t experienced this with salmon but found with lakers that the mono top shot was absolutely necessary to give a bit of stretch and prevent pulling hooks.

Wish I was out there with ya, sprinkle in some crabs and you got the west coast Hat trick. Beautiful boat, fellow Weldcraft. How many feet of mono, 50?
I’m assuming the line,clip pop is much easier with less line stretch at that depth. What’s the line connection of choice for braid to Mono, double uni? could see that knot needing attention throughout the fishing season, it’ll get a lot more wear and tear compared to the backing knot.
I started using a FG knot earlier this year and really like the low profile.
Haymond recommends a Tony Pena knot with Patrick Lemire modification, which I haven’t tried.

We had a great day in the harbour today. Biggest one 84 cm and 19 lbs

Attachments

• 30FE9FEF-302A-4A21-B91A-5BD01B7FB3FA.jpeg
    30FE9FEF-302A-4A21-B91A-5BD01B7FB3FA.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 202
I used the all bright knot and 40’ of mono. I am sure I will have to keep an eye on the knot and replace every once in a while but from what I can tell it is well worth it. Easy clip release and far less drag in the water. I wanted to try brade for years but never got around to it. I was reminded when reading a post here about it in January.

Very nice. What did you like most about the switch to braid- easier bite detection and better hook sets? I was just reading Bill Haymonds book about this and will be setting up my next reel this way. I haven’t experienced this with salmon but found with lakers that the mono top shot was absolutely necessary to give a bit of stretch and prevent pulling hooks.

I started using a FG knot earlier this year and really like the low profile.
Haymond recommends a Tony Pena knot with Patrick Lemire modification, which I haven’t tried.
Does this knot work on mono? He keeps mentioning Fluorocarbon.

All the fish were caught on Anchovies today. No hits on the spoons. All in 100 ft of water on the bottom
I was with Rarnet yesterday and thought I would add one of my photos. What an amazing day of winter fishing. Limits of Springs and crabs. It was almost like a September fishing day except for the weather. The 19 pounder was unexpected but welcomed.

Attachments

• winter fishing.jpg
    winter fishing.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 165
I was with Rarnet yesterday and thought I would add one of my photos. What an amazing day of winter fishing. Limits of Springs and crabs. It was almost like a September fishing day except for the weather. The 19 pounder was unexpected but welcomed.
Got to second the FG knot for braid to mono. I have been using it for trolling - 60lb braid with 60 ft of 30lb ultragreen. great hook set and smooth through the guides. I also use it on all my jigging reels. You just have to watch the first turn of the braid to hit the guide on the way out. It takes the wear, and if it fails, the whole knot goes. Take a bit of practice to tie well, but definitely worth the effort for me. Salt Strong has a lot of good stuff on the knot

Great pic! Think I’m going to head out tomorrow, I’ll post if I get into anything.

A few unders at Grace, then moved to the waterfall. Several hits, landed two keepers in two hours. Others were catching some here as well. Glow back spoon did a bit better than the black spatter hoochie. Nice day on the water.

Attachments

• F6F8673D-73B9-482E-B0AC-4E9784BD2C84.jpeg
    F6F8673D-73B9-482E-B0AC-4E9784BD2C84.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 94
Picked up a keeper at the bell. 130 contour, 160 on the rigger. Had to deal with a lot of shakers though. Great haul of prawns and a lovely breakfast on the hook at English Bay while I waited for light. 20230211_123412.jpg20230211_110638.jpg20230211_055948_001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back