2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh and we caught this. Is it a Kelp Greenling and could we have kept it?
I think it's an Alaska pollock. I've caught two on them in the last two weeks at Tunstall Bay, once in shallower water (130') and once on a retrieval.

My guess is that there are big schools of them in the 20-80' range that I can see on the sonar. I was wondering if they've displaced some of the usual bait there and that's why the salmon aren't there to feed.

well just seen for the last two days there is a shrimp boat dragging Gear in and along west bay and backside of Grace so the fishing is going to be done there now for a while WTF and there saying about glass sponge and they allow this ........just a joke

well just seen for the last two days there is a shrimp boat dragging Gear in and along west bay and backside of Grace so the fishing is going to be done there now for a while WTF and there saying about glass sponge and they allow this ........just a joke
The shimp boats are dragging on the mud. They'd wreck their gear if they hooked up on any rock where the glass sponge grows.

The shimp boats are dragging on the mud. They'd wreck their gear if they hooked up on any rock where the glass sponge grows.
do you fish there as can tell you the balls don't bring mud up ......... its been ploughed to smithers for years thats why its flat .... and then they still allow it ....he's gone from west bay to half mile off keats back and forth .... you think thats ok for the bottom????? from the farm /camp to cotton pt

do you fish there as can tell you the balls don't bring mud up ......... its been ploughed to smithers for years thats why its flat .... and then they still allow it ....he's gone from west bay to half mile off keats back and forth .... you think thats ok for the bottom????? from the farm /camp to cotton pt
Yes I do fish, commercially and recreational in Howe Sound. Theres mostly soft bottom in that area with a couple of isolated hard bottom/reefs . Shrimp are on the softer bottom not the rock.

Yes I do fish, commercially and recreational in Howe Sound. Theres mostly soft bottom in that area with a couple of isolated hard bottom/reefs . Shrimp are on the softer bottom not the rock.
Do the commie draggers throw the Female Spots back?

I think it's an Alaska pollock. I've caught two on them in the last two weeks at Tunstall Bay, once in shallower water (130') and once on a retrieval.

My guess is that there are big schools of them in the 20-80' range that I can see on the sonar. I was wondering if they've displaced some of the usual bait there and that's why the salmon aren't there to feed.
that what all those fish r ive marked a few times out there in th 20-80 feet range

Ah right on. Yeah could have only been one of the two boats we saw all day lol. What a beauty people missed if they were afraid of a bit of cold. :p ;)

We had a day ourselves...
View attachment 89141View attachment 89142
Spoons on bottom

How do you like that Magma table? I’ve been thinking about getting the 41”x12.5” first mate model… also looking at the Nauti-marine 44x19.5 which seems like a better size but twice the price!
Need to be able to clean fish etc when boat camping.

Need to be able to clean fish etc when boat camping.
Woah man, it's like you've been reading my mind all weekend. I've been doing the same research. I've found this one a little on the small side, so I've been looking at those same two. The quality of the Magma is great, I too wouldn't spend the extra money on the Nauti. I'm sure it's marginally better but not worth it to me. The only thing I'm doing different this time is adding two posts at the front and pulling the table forward about 6". It's ok as a rigging station or for the odd fish or three. But I'm a little too slouched forward in its current position. The dual rail mounting also isn't adequate, I've had the table flip back in me when someone really leaned into it, lost all the gear on it. My new setup will have four mounting points. Oh and last thing, I didn't like that the Nauti was 3" longer but actually had less work surface because of the way they mount the sides inset a couple inches. Just kind of bugged me. Hope that helps!

Woah man, it's like you've been reading my mind all weekend. I've been doing the same research. I've found this one a little on the small side, so I've been looking at those same two. The quality of the Magma is great, I too wouldn't spend the extra money on the Nauti. I'm sure it's marginally better but not worth it to me. The only thing I'm doing different this time is adding two posts at the front and pulling the table forward about 6". It's ok as a rigging station or for the odd fish or three. But I'm a little too slouched forward in its current position. The dual rail mounting also isn't adequate, I've had the table flip back in me when someone really leaned into it, lost all the gear on it. My new setup will have four mounting points. Oh and last thing, I didn't like that the Nauti was 3" longer but actually had less work surface because of the way they mount the sides inset a couple inches. Just kind of bugged me. Hope that helps!
Lol…Yea, thanks for your feedback it is totally helpful. I was worried maybe it was thinner and more flexible. I don’t have a rear rail so will be mounted in Scotty bases or flush mount rod holders. Having the risk of it pivoting back and items going overboard would be terrible.

I agree on the wasted space with the Nauti, I suppose the ability to store a bunch of extra gear would be nice for some applications but honestly I have better places to store rigging than hanging it off the side. Knife, olfa scissors and pliers is all I need up there … if I really wanted to hang some rigs or spoons I could top drill a few holes in the vertical edge I’m sure.

Shoot me a Pm if you find a sale price anywhere! Thanks

Lol…Yea, thanks for your feedback it is totally helpful. I was worried maybe it was thinner and more flexible. I don’t have a rear rail so will be mounted in Scotty bases or flush mount rod holders. Having the risk of it pivoting back and items going overboard would be terrible.

I agree on the wasted space with the Nauti, I suppose the ability to store a bunch of extra gear would be nice for some applications but honestly I have better places to store rigging than hanging it off the side. Knife, olfa scissors and pliers is all I need up there … if I really wanted to hang some rigs or spoons I could top drill a few holes in the vertical edge I’m sure.

Shoot me a Pm if you find a sale price anywhere! Thanks
I agree 100% on not having a tackle store back there. I ordered one through Amazon but they're currently on backorder. I'll let yah know if I hear anything.

There is a magma on marketplace for cheap at the moment

Kids are off for spring break at end of March so debating sneaking them out from Kamloops for a couple nights on the chuck. Pending a weather window, I assume there’s typically a few winters around and crabbing/prawning is still okay(not exactly sure when the commie opening is)? My boy (8) was a bit heartbroken last time all the crab was a 1/8th undersized and had to go back lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back