2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thx. Keeping an eye on windy etc. looks like it may die down after dinner but will just wait and see.
Download the WindAlert app for your phone and you can see all the current conditions at all the land stations and buoy stations. Looks like its dropped to about 10 gusting 15 wnw at the Entrance station, probably the best it will get before picking up tonight.

Fished out of secret cove all weekend . Saturday was beautiful albeit a bit wet till the evening . Usual program , loaded up with 6 doz live herring and went and set the pick. A steady mix of 10 - 20 lb Chinook , with some coho mixed in . Interesting enough even the Chinook were in the top 45’ where we were targeting coho . Also picked up a half limit of ling and 6 massive petrale sole on our bottom rods . The petrales were massive 5 - 6 lbs , like little chicken Hali’s . Later start Sunday morning , wind was howling so we rounded out a limit of lings and tucked tail home . Big following swell made for a decent ride home . Great weekend .

Sloshed our way home from Active pass to the north arm last night. Took about 2 hours for what we can do in 75 mins under decent conditions. A couple nice 15lb lings this weekend and and a dozen nice crabs just off sandheads (and no one stole my trap!) so we won't go hungry despite not being allowed to retain a salmon. thx for the weather reports for those who provided.

Fished out of secret cove all weekend . Saturday was beautiful albeit a bit wet till the evening . Usual program , loaded up with 6 doz live herring and went and set the pick. A steady mix of 10 - 20 lb Chinook , with some coho mixed in . Interesting enough even the Chinook were in the top 45’ where we were targeting coho . Also picked up a half limit of ling and 6 massive petrale sole on our bottom rods . The petrales were massive 5 - 6 lbs , like little chicken Hali’s . Later start Sunday morning , wind was howling so we rounded out a limit of lings and tucked tail home . Big following swell made for a decent ride home . Great weekend .
Were you off Epsom?

Sloshed our way home from Active pass to the north arm last night. Took about 2 hours for what we can do in 75 mins under decent conditions. A couple nice 15lb lings this weekend and and a dozen nice crabs just off sandheads (and no one stole my trap!) so we won't go hungry despite not being allowed to retain a salmon. thx for the weather reports for those who provided.
Glad you made it ok, was wondering

Environment Canada is warning of some blustery weather that’s on its way for Metro Vancouver, as a special weather statement due to strong winds has been issued for much of Metro Vancouver.

Strong northwest winds are expected to start late Tuesday afternoon and continue through the night.

“A cold front will sweep across the south coast on Tuesday and strong northwest winds with gusts up to 70 km/h are forecast in its wake. These winds will develop late Tuesday afternoon, continue through Tuesday night then begin to ease early Wednesday morning,” the statement reads.

Man you do love to burn fuel!

And yes, coming home from the Galiano derby one year we made that cross in a strong NW. It's as uncomfortable as can be. Almost have to ride up the inside to Gabriola and try and get it behind you.
That’s my go to tactic,so much more comfortable coming down to south arm that way

Guys, what do you think, with the wind supposed to be not too bad tomorrow, if you had the day off for fishing, would you burn the gas and cross to the other side for coho or just stick around south Bowen? I have a couple of guests with me tomorrow and would be nice to keep one to two fish for them.

Guys, what do you think, with the wind supposed to be not too bad tomorrow, if you had the day off for fishing, would you burn the gas and cross to the other side for coho or just stick around south Bowen? I have a couple of guests with me tomorrow and would be nice to keep one to two fish for them.
I would cross tomorrow if I had the whole day off. Maybe try jigging for some bottom fish and entertain your guests too.

Definitely cross

Thanks guys, besides bottom fish, would you think I have a good chance of getting into some coho at the Thrasher, or will I find them mostly at Entrance Island? Based on previous posts, seemed like few had good luck with coho around Entrance. Sorry for asking way too many questions.

Thanks guys, besides bottom fish, would you think I have a good chance of getting into some coho at the Thrasher, or will I find them mostly at Entrance Island? Based on previous posts, seemed like few had good luck with coho around Entrance. Sorry for asking way too many questions.
Sounds like it's luck of the draw. Get the wind behind you and floor it until you find them. You can get from entrance to thrasher in no time.

Hey @adanac
We are heading up to Prince Rupert for 10days on Friday. Taking sabiki rods but have never fished live bait.
Would love to know how you rig them and what you do. If fishing at 45’ do you just find bait and drop to that depth with a weight and have a nose hooked herring swimming around?

We will be jigging and trolling but have decided to have a number of ‘No Downrigger Days’.

Cheers

We are heading up to Prince Rupert for 10days on Friday. Taking sabiki rods but have never fished live bait.
Would love to know how you rig them and what you do. If fishing at 45’ do you just find bait and drop to that depth with a weight and have a nose hooked herring swimming around?

We will be jigging and trolling but have decided to have a number of ‘No Downrigger Days’.

Cheers

In the area we fish ( secret cove ) we purchase our live herring from the fuel dock .

As for areas we fish on the south coast , we generally go set up on known dropoffs/hump’s and drop anchor in anywhere from 130 - 180 . We then stagger 3/4 rods in the water column until we dial in where the fish are. We use 2oz - 4oz banana weights depending on current, light leaders 12lb leaders and size 5 treble hooks , one through the nose and one pinned behind the dorsal ( when retention is open) . I find most bites start as a faint tap and then your rod nearly going straight and line limp on the surface as they grab it as they are coming up from underneath your bait .

In haida gwaii there is times when the horse herring are so thick that we jig them , and have just mooched them live on mooching rigs like you would cutplug around kelp beds albeit a bit slower even. Also very productive .

Last edited:
Headed to Entrance Island before dropping crab traps in the morning. Spent a couple of hours bottom fishing with nothing to show for. Switched to Coho setup and started trolling. Hooke a few cohos in 3 hours of fishing. released a few wild ones and kept 3 clipped ones. Had a great time and each guest was so happy to be able to keep a fish and a few crabs. Most fish were caught in 45' to 60' on white hootchie.

Attachments

• Coho.jpg
    Coho.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 153
Went out for an evening fish off Roger Curtis, looking for coho. Fast troll with a bare spoon on one side and white squirt on the other, and a third rod with an unweighted bucktail in the wake. Fished top 52’. Only hooked one coho, which we lost behind the boat, and released nine springs, biggest about 10 lbs. only one hatchery in the mix. Gorgeous flat calm night. Saw a coho feeding briefly on the surface between RC and Worlcombe and hoped we might get lucky on the bucktail but no dice.

Planning to head out to troll south Bowen on Monday, first time for me. Think it's worth dropping prawn traps? I won't if the commercial guys are still active... but also if they are all done, would there even be any prawns left? :) Thanks for any advice. Love this forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back