2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, usually have my jigging rod with me. One of my regrets from that first Friday at SH is that I didn't pull lines earlier and switch to the jig.
I’ve wondered how jigging would do in the murky waters at the mouth. I usually jig out at Texada/Sangster. Past Monday-Tuesday

Attachments

• 7B77F4F7-8057-4B77-B521-75C0DBE4B404.jpeg
    7B77F4F7-8057-4B77-B521-75C0DBE4B404.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 114
  • CDA120C5-DE73-48A1-A7EA-277732535995.jpeg
    CDA120C5-DE73-48A1-A7EA-277732535995.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 113
Trevala Spin jigging rod with Mac Fish, Shimano butterfly jigs, and a few other things. If they can see a spoon (and I haven't used flashers much in the last two weeks), they can see a jig.
Thanks for the info! Just bringing boat back from Gibson's! May go out and give the area a try!

My advice is to run a dummy flasher on both balls. You’ll want to stack two rods per side running short leaders and small pink hootchies with a large 4/0 hook. The idea is to present lots of flashers so the Sox will follow your gear continuously. Keep trolling when you hook up, double/ triple headers not uncommon. Don’t be afraid to horse them into the boat, the longer you play the fish, the more likely they are to spit the hook. Enjoy!
I'm not falling for that old trick again. It still hurts.

Who's going to post the first sockeye.
We picked up a couple scrappy springs eventually and called it. Not the sock fishing we had in years past. We also @Stizzla 'd the **** out of the day unfortunately.
Lost gear:
4 18 lb cannon balls
7 clips
6 dummy flashers
2 auto stop with snubbers
All started because I wasn't prepared to fish socks and tried to jerry rigging a tuna chord extension with cheap parachord. Then after being lazy again by not setting up auto stops we jammed the next two balls into the rigger and pop! The shame far outweighs the 7 fish in the box. :(
We have a saying on our boat. If your not loosing gear your not trying...

Wasn't much off a sockeye opener for me one in first 20 minutes off lines down that was it for 6 hours, that one looked like should already be up river spawning. Hopefully some fresh run shows up that the commies don't scoop up before we get a crack at them

We were at SH at first light and we went 3 for 3 sockeye in first hour. We were fishing 35 to about 70 feet. Lost a chinook to a broken leader also and then went 1 for about 10 in next 4 hours. We saw a lot of fish hitting but not that many fish landed - typical sockeye fishing but for me it was nothing like 2010, 2014, or 2018. Later in the cycle maybe. we just bbq‘d some fresh sockeye and it is almost like cooking bacon - full of delicious oils! Good luck out there.

Hopefully some fresh run shows up that the commies don't scoop up before we get a crack at them

Seasons ending, no fresh sockeye comming, what out there now has
Been holding for up to 3 weeks

They think there is around a million fish holding in the gulf at around 100k a day going up river thins show will be over in a week

And the weather sucks totally bummed right now

Last edited:
We picked up a couple scrappy springs eventually and called it. Not the sock fishing we had in years past. We also @Stizzla 'd the **** out of the day unfortunately.
Lost gear:
4 18 lb cannon balls
7 clips
6 dummy flashers
2 auto stop with snubbers
All started because I wasn't prepared to fish socks and tried to jerry rigging a tuna chord extension with cheap parachord. Then after being lazy again by not setting up auto stops we jammed the next two balls into the rigger and pop! The shame far outweighs the 7 fish in the box. :(

@Stizzla would be proud

Those blue flashers have any magic in em

They think there is around a million fish holding in the gulf at around 100k a day going up river thins show will be over in a week

yikes , u ok man

Driving, loading boat, launching, boating, fishing, more boating, loading boat, cleaning, driving thru Surrey to drop some frozen fish from last week with the kid, more driving, more cleaning.
18 hours and 800 some km.
SH- 3 for 10 on sox on sock gear with 3 dummies at 40-60 feet in 3 hours then 1 for 1 sockeye on anchovy in 30 seconds at 90 feet.
YOLO.
Did better when I let them swim into net without lifting head (=crazy death spit spin). Pulled one by hand, but also lost one.

They kinda knew what they were doing when they opened it for us in mid September. Throwing a bone that barely has any meat on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back