2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
if your new at the game i highly highly recommend NOT dropping 9000 flashers and 17 rods out the back of your boat. you will end up so frustrated you will cut lines and go home.

run ONE dummy per side down low off your cannons and clip your normal flashers as close as you dare to the dummies so they won’t tangle. (cause your new ) short leaders 22-24” and go slow like RC sed. find the jumpers, find the school and follow the current to stay on the school. play them hard as you dare and haul them in by the flasher if it’s hot hot fishing. flip your gear out and get it back down.you may not be as productive as the guys dragging 9000 flashers but you’ll catch sox. it’s a meat fishery amigo
Many thanks to everyone for the feedback and tips!

Question about the chinook I caught today... seems like there is an area where there is bruising or blood clots in the meat... it close to the collar which is close to the head of the salmon. Wonder if it was bruised by me bonking the fish and perhaps striking a portion of its neck near the collar when hitting the head and causing some internal blood vessels to burst in the collar and neck area.. fish was bled within minutes of it landing on deck...attached are some pictures... can someone tell me if I am right or if I am way off...
Hey Samba

Those white chinooks really show any blood left in the body. I would have thought it is remaining blood that didn’t come out from bleeding. Bruising is blood in the meat so would look the same I guess.
We bleed our fish literally within 5 seconds of bonking it. Have the knife ready, bonk twice hard, lift the fish into the splash well and cut the ‘neck and gills. Blood gushes out with the Heart still pumping. But when I fillet the fish it still has red staining, mostly on the bottom fillet.
If you bleed a minute or two after bonking it on the head more blood will remain.
The answer may be to stop catching white springs and start catching sockeye!

Commercial guys cut off head and gills then pump water though an artery in the neck and the meat then looks perfect 👍🏻

Yes you need those dummies. If you don’t-you will catch but only 10% of what you should.
Speed does matter. Tune your gear to the speed you like to troll. 2 mph SOG minimum.

PM me for questions you have.

Three for three on Socks at south arm. Pink squirts for last two
I'm at work planning my day tomorrow, Salivating at your pics...... I'm New to sockeye fishing.

So far, find the jumpers or schools, troll slow, short leaders, dumby flashers, pink hoochies, cut some legs off.

Anything else .... ?

How deep on Downriggers ?

Planning to check out 29-6, 7 & 9 tomorrow boat is in Tsawwassen so we dont have to run far with south Banana open.

I'm at work planning my day tomorrow, Salivating at your pics...... I'm New to sockeye fishing.

So far, find the jumpers or schools, troll slow, short leaders, dumby flashers, pink hoochies, cut some legs off.

Anything else .... ?

How deep on Downriggers ?

Planning to check out 29-6, 7 & 9 tomorrow boat is in Tsawwassen so we dont have to run far with south Banana open.
Last week we accidently slowed right down to 1-1.5MPH and set the riggers at 35'-40' and had two socks within a couple minutes. That would be a good starting point. This was last week so couldn't keep them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back