2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only a little over 2 weeks, and the SRKW zone at the north arm opens up again to fishing within the relevant species openings.

Heard from a friend a gale was gonna drop tonight on the lower Georgia straits, and blow out by 5 am Friday. All you guys should wait it out haha!

Last edited:
Heard from a friend a gale was gonna drop tonight on the lower Georgia straits, and blow out by 5 am Friday. All you guys should wait it out haha!
Yes. I got the same report. May actually last until Saturday morning. It’s a real danger!
Man I’m so jealous. Wish I was there with Codfather’s buddy in Steveston tomorrow.

Question about the chinook I caught today... seems like there is an area where there is bruising or blood clots in the meat... it close to the collar which is close to the head of the salmon. Wonder if it was bruised by me bonking the fish and perhaps striking a portion of its neck near the collar when hitting the head and causing some internal blood vessels to burst in the collar and neck area.. fish was bled within minutes of it landing on deck...attached are some pictures... can someone tell me if I am right or if I am way off...

Attachments

• 20220914_212742.jpg
    20220914_212742.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 20220914_211615.jpg
    20220914_211615.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 96
I don't recommend following the 2-3mph trolling speed in that second image. Go as slow as that gear will work. And then turn a lot and you'll hit on the inside.
if your new at the game i highly highly recommend NOT dropping 9000 flashers and 17 rods out the back of your boat. you will end up so frustrated you will cut lines and go home.

run ONE dummy per side down low off your cannons and clip your normal flashers as close as you dare to the dummies so they won’t tangle. (cause your new ) short leaders 22-24” and go slow like RC sed. find the jumpers, find the school and follow the current to stay on the school. play them hard as you dare and haul them in by the flasher if it’s hot hot fishing. flip your gear out and get it back down.you may not be as productive as the guys dragging 9000 flashers but you’ll catch sox. it’s a meat fishery amigo

Last edited:
Question about the chinook I caught today... seems like there is an area where there is bruising or blood clots in the meat... it close to the collar which is close to the head of the salmon. Wonder if it was bruised by me bonking the fish and perhaps striking a portion of its neck near the collar when hitting the head and causing some internal blood vessels to burst in the collar and neck area.. fish was bled within minutes of it landing on deck...attached are some pictures... can someone tell me if I am right or if I am way off...
Previous injuries or stomping tom put yer fish to sleep.

Well I just shook off all my responsibilities for tomorrow and dusted off the dummy flashers… will be out there first light, hopefully a good report
Can you still use the blonde’s license? It’d be 4 extra Sox in your freezer.
Until further notice but a notice could close it again.
Any idea when the commercial fishing in the mouth will be ending? They’ve had it open for a good couple of weeks.

Can you still use the blonde’s license? It’d be 4 extra Sox in your freezer.

Any idea when the commercial fishing in the mouth will be ending? They’ve had it open for a good couple of weeks.
does anyone know if any commies selling fish? pretty sure the $10/fish won't apply anymore, unfortunately sold my boat so no chance at sox

Jeff

does anyone know if any commies selling fish? pretty sure the $10/fish won't apply anymore, unfortunately sold my boat so no chance at sox

Jeff
I’m pretty sure you can buy fresh sockeye at Haney and Steveston float. There may also be some at the false creek wharf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back