Not open for further replies.
The typical areas fished are in 29-3 and 29-4…WACK

Guess it’s time to try new things

Attachments

• D5443B78-A372-4851-9155-7A691B98B7FB.jpeg
    D5443B78-A372-4851-9155-7A691B98B7FB.jpeg
    259.8 KB · Views: 78
Are you sure 29-3 29-4 Re open for sockeye? I don't see that. Typical dfo

This is the "open to Dec 31st" opening. Effective 00:01 hours September 15, 2022, until 23:59 hours December 31, 2022, (or until release of a Fishery Notice closing the fishery) the daily limit for Sockeye is four (4) per day in the following areas:

Areas 11 to 13, and 111 (Queen Charlotte Sound, Queen Charlotte Strait, Johnstone Strait and Discovery Passage); and

Areas 14 to 19,

********……………. and Subareas 29-1 to 29-5 (Strait of Georgia); and………..********

Subarea 29-8 (Boundary Bay); and

Subareas 28-1, 28-2, and 28-7 (portions of Howe Sound and Burrard Inlet); and

Area 20 (Juan de Fuca Strait); and

Areas 21, 121, and 123 to 127 (West Coast of Vancouver Island).

This is the "open to Dec 31st" opening. Effective 00:01 hours September 15, 2022, until 23:59 hours December 31, 2022, (or until release of a Fishery Notice closing the fishery) the daily limit for Sockeye is four (4) per day in the following areas:

Areas 11 to 13, and 111 (Queen Charlotte Sound, Queen Charlotte Strait, Johnstone Strait and Discovery Passage); and

Areas 14 to 19,

********……………. and Subareas 29-1 to 29-5 (Strait of Georgia); and………..********

Subarea 29-8 (Boundary Bay); and

Subareas 28-1, 28-2, and 28-7 (portions of Howe Sound and Burrard Inlet); and

Area 20 (Juan de Fuca Strait); and

Areas 21, 121, and 123 to 127 (West Coast of Vancouver Island).
Nice ok. Time to book off work! Let's gooooo!

Good luck out there tomorrow.
I was out today and yesterday with some inexperienced guests. Tuesday they played 9 chinook and boated 3 plus a clipped coho. 3 lost within 3 feet of the net LOL. Released 5 sockeye and they were jumping everywhere. Many more soc hits on bait and spoons.

Today much quieter no Coho or sockeye hooked and MANY less jumping. And a lot of commercial boats.
The good news is they went 2 for 2 on chinook.

Hope there is a new flush of socs in for you fellas tomorrow.

I'm a newb sockeye fisher (never had an opening since I've owned my boat!). Any tips / tricks on speed, flashers, gear, depths? Feel free to redirect me to an old post as I'm sure this has been discussed mountains before!

I'm a newb sockeye fisher (never had an opening since I've owned my boat!). Any tips / tricks on speed, flashers, gear, depths? Feel free to redirect me to an old post as I'm sure this has been discussed mountains before!
My advice is to run a dummy flasher on both balls. You’ll want to stack two rods per side running short leaders and small pink hootchies with a large 4/0 hook. The idea is to present lots of flashers so the Sox will follow your gear continuously. Keep trolling when you hook up, double/ triple headers not uncommon. Don’t be afraid to horse them into the boat, the longer you play the fish, the more likely they are to spit the hook. Enjoy!

I don't recommend following the 2-3mph trolling speed in that second image. Go as slow as that gear will work. And then turn a lot and you'll hit on the inside.

From the Pacific Angler Report a few years ago at the last opening. They agree that dummy flashers for attracting sockeye in the sandy waters:

For sockeye we recommend using 3-4 “dummy flashers” and then two flashers with small hoochies above that on the cable. The best colour hoochies historically have been hot pink with a glow head or a glow strip. Productive leader lengths have been from 22” up to 31” but most anglers fish about a 28” leader of 40 or 50 LB test. When it comes to flashers, the more flashers in the water the better. Sockeye love to follow the gear and will follow you, not the other way around if you make a big enough appearance. A great way to put those flashers you normally don’t use to good use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back