2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lost a freight train on Sunday that spooled my mono twice, its last run it showed its self with a tail slap and snapped my main line, taking every thig including my favorite flasher.
Will forever haunt me and wanting a rematch

Took today off early to hit the rising tide, didn't even set the second line and hooked a smaller chinook then released. no taps for an hour and a half, and questioned my decision of letting the small legal nookie go
Ya know its ruff when the rigger pullies go under water from the waves
When the tides flattened out it was go time. 52ft on the rigger in 200 ft depth. got a sluggish hit and reeled in like it was following me but as soon as it surfaced, I was shocked of it size. It fought all around the boat with a few runs to the depths. I called fish on with the boats around me and they were obliged to veer away. This fish wrapped around the opposite rigger and line that was still fishing( no time) I managed to free the line by going under the rigger and line
My wife took 2 stabs at this fish and luckily did not hook the net
When it was in the basket, its a satisfying to get the hoots & hollers from your peers that watched the fight
He's a bit colored but will add to the smoke'n pile
The memory will last till I'm 6ft under, nice to get a rematch with its smaller brother
I wish I smoked just so I could take a picture like that. Nice man.

Been laying a bit low but hit t10 today around 2...quiet all the way to the heads then picked up and ripped back. Found a nice 75cm and my buddy found a beauty 84cm all around 4 pm, all around 57' t10 seems to be fishing well later in the aft. Cheers...oh ya,

Been laying a bit low but hit t10 today around 2...quiet all the way to the heads then picked up and ripped back. Found a nice 75cm and my buddy found a beauty 84cm all around 4 pm, all around 57' t10 seems to be fishing well later in the aft. Cheers...oh ya,
Well done Captain!

OK, thanks for the update. I was coming over in the am to catch some Sockeye. Not now.

So my next question is WTF is going on with this picture????

I have nothing against my Commercial crew catching fish and trying make a living.

BUT how is it possible that the ones that spend 90% of the money spent in the fishing industry not getting the first wack at them????

We are, and will always be trouble until things change with these fisheries ( $%&#@) folks.

Thanks for listening!

Mike
Where have you been for the last 3 months lol. Jk

Shano, NO i didn't realize that.

My buddy said they opened Sockeye up and I got all excited and was ready to come over fishing.

I just came back from the Bamfield derby with a pile of Tuna and wanted to go Sockeye fishing.

I wondered why I seen guys saying they released Sockeye????? Dah!!!

I thought the Sockeye were beneath them as they were fishing for Springs!!!

So, I must be WAY out to lunch? Am I reading it right that the Commercial fleet is out in big numbers fishing for Sockeye and it's closed to the Sports fleet?

Sorry for the confusion.

Mike
Welcome to the world of DFO management in Vancouver. Jason Tonelli talks about it in his fishing report this past Friday https://www.pacificangler.ca/pacific-angler-friday-fishing-report-september-9-2022/

We may still get an opening off the mouth of the Fraser, but it better happen like yesterday as we're a week out for closures for Thompson Steelhead migration!

Welcome to the world of DFO management in Vancouver. Jason Tonelli talks about it in his fishing report this past Friday https://www.pacificangler.ca/pacific-angler-friday-fishing-report-september-9-2022/

We may still get an opening off the mouth of the Fraser, but it better happen like yesterday as we're a week out for closures for Thompson Steelhead migration!
Just for the record though, Jason is an Avid Angler as are most of his guides. When you sign onto that DFO DNA testing program, you agree to not make critical statements about DFO on Internet forums etc. He talks about the issue all the time but seems reserved in his comments.

What a 2 hour non stop chinook action Sandheads yesterday, every North tack in the same spot hit a spring tide was dropping, all around green can 40-60 bait... when i messed up on the speed going a tad to fast wham coho... we got two beautiful chrome ones, tried to keep the speed down so i wouldn’t hit them... some pretty fresh looking springs still moving in.

Pretty sure thats @Dorman Point heading South sweet boat
IMG_4557.JPG
Peppered Marble oils are incredible...
IMG_4576.JPG

IMG_4556.JPG

Alright which one of yous was it. Just spoke with a coworker and a good friend had an accident at sandheads last week. Two boats gunwale to gunwale ripping the downrigger off and into the drink of atleast one trophy. heard some cash changed hands and both parties felt equally to blame. two people in each boat looking at rod tips instead of for other traffic;)

What a 2 hour non stop chinook action Sandheads yesterday, every North tack in the same spot hit a spring tide was dropping, all around green can 40-60 bait... when i messed up on the speed going a tad to fast wham coho... we got two beautiful chrome ones, tried to keep the speed down so i wouldn’t hit them... some pretty fresh looking springs still moving in.

Pretty sure thats @Dorman Point heading South sweet boat
View attachment 85016
Peppered Marble oils are incredible...
View attachment 85022

View attachment 85021
Yep, that’s me. Thanks for the pic and swinging by for a wave, don’t often get to see her myself from that perspective. We had a great day, too. Did one long tack, Iona to north of Sandheads. Got our four springs and a nice hatch coho as well. Then pulled the flashers off, kicked the speed up to about 3 knots, ran the gear shallow and trolled north towards home, looking for more coho. Hit 4 more springs shallow, who fought like champs without the flashers. Long runs and several jumped like cohos. Long-lined released two and gaff-released two mid-teeners.

Saw this old beauty setting up as we were heading back. Is there any prettier sight on this coast than a nicely kept wooden troller doing her thing?

Attachments

• F96BD4D7-EC50-44C2-BDCB-80E0885E4082.jpeg
    F96BD4D7-EC50-44C2-BDCB-80E0885E4082.jpeg
    383.2 KB · Views: 172
  • B6DD4210-0F21-45C2-ADD2-F33F550496AE.jpeg
    B6DD4210-0F21-45C2-ADD2-F33F550496AE.jpeg
    239.1 KB · Views: 174
  • 1A49DA6A-9336-47FB-A8DD-CBD8EA076B63.jpeg
    1A49DA6A-9336-47FB-A8DD-CBD8EA076B63.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 171
Yep, that’s me. Thanks for the pic and swinging by for a wave, don’t often get to see her myself from that perspective. We had a great day, too. Did one long tack, Iona to north of Sandheads. Got our four springs and a nice hatch coho as well. Then pulled the flashers off, kicked the speed up to about 3 knots, ran the gear shallow and trolled north towards home, looking for more coho. Hit 4 more springs shallow, who fought like champs without the flashers. Long runs and several jumped like cohos. Long-lined released two and gaff-released two mid-teeners.

Saw this old beauty setting up as we were heading back. Is there any prettier sight on this coast than a nicely kept wooden troller doing her thing?
I was WOT on route to Sandheads and saw your boat so i put the breaks on stopped for a Dorman boat pic and a waved, you waved back cheers bud nice seeing another member out there..

Thanks for the kind words Brett83, we went 55 miles offshore.

With any luck we will get a opening for Sockeye in the near future.

If someone can post that I would appreciate it as I don't want to lose my boat.

Thanks for the kind words Brett83, we went 55 miles offshore.

With any luck we will get a opening for Sockeye in the near future.

If someone can post that I would appreciate it as I don't want to lose my boat.

There was a FN this morning stating it is status quo for now with the next meeting being on the 16th.

Last edited:
Started fishing Sandheads since 8 am. So far 1 spring 60’ bait and released 5 sockeye. Makes me sick to see commercials all around me getting them and we can’t even keep one.

Started fishing Sandheads since 8 am. So far 1 spring 60’ bait and released 5 sockeye. Makes me sick to see commercials all around me getting them and we can’t even keep one.
Cruise up the river just past Steveston where it's open and see if you can catch one.

There was a FN this morning stating it is status quo for now with the next meeting being on the 16th.
Not sure that this is tied to the next meeting and think we'll see an FN before the weekend "In addition, consideration is being given to some limited marine recreational fisheries targeting Fraser Sockeye in the coming days, and any fisheries will be announced by separate fishery notices. "

At risk of sounding stupid. Can you troll on the river? I'm going to guess yes but with great difficulty
Yes you absolutely can. I‘ve seen it many times as we go home back up the river but I’ve also never seen a net. I know other rivers where trolling in the river is very common but I think more for chinook than sockeye or pinks. I’ve never tried it myself other than down on the inside of the green can.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back