2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
we’re you north of the pack? I’ll be out first light
Good evening I am new here fished Vancouver island before .. went out to sand
We were out at sandheads today. Lines in by 645-700, It was good, my strikes continued to come outside the pack. But closer to the pack then the last few times. We went 5 for 6. Released a spring and a wild coho. A 26# and a 21# But the craziest scrap I've ever had was with the 15#. Must have seen the net and taken off 10 times. The sockeye were jumping everywhere, the commercial troller guy beside me was pulling them in at a good rate. My advice would be to arrive as early as safely possible. It went from constant action until nine then slim pickings after that. I think we'll do one or two more weekends at sandheads, then it should be Ambleside season.
good evening when is ambleside good ?? In a few weeks ? I am new to Vancouver fishing from Vancouver island
Thank you

Good evening I am new here fished Vancouver island before .. went out to sand

good evening when is ambleside good ?? In a few weeks ? I am new to Vancouver fishing from Vancouver island
Thank you
I've have a couple buddies that did well at Ambleside this weekend. I think there are fish to be had at both. If I could choose tomorrow I would go to sandheads. But would still be feeling good about Ambleside.

I've have a couple buddies that did well at Ambleside this weekend. I think there are fish to be had at both. If I could choose tomorrow I would go to sandheads. But would still be feeling good about Ambleside.
There's fish around, saw three jumping about 15 ft off of the left Ambleside jetty
Where I was flinging jigs Saturday evening.

For all my troubles I got three Ochre sea stars...does that count?

Might try again next weekend. Korean guy beside me told me he got a couple last weekend casting off of the jetty using a pink Tasmanian devil lure. Gonna try pink buzz bomb or THKFISH jig.
Zingers man. Bounce bottom. Jig hard.

Fished Sandheads today 7-2. One sockeye 730. Missed a couple bites. One chinook landed around 12 @60 ft. That was it. Much slower out there compared to last week. Guess the commercial fleet really slowed things down? Hopefully things pick up again soon.

We decided to fish Ambleside this morning for the 8:30am high slack and we got two nice hatch coho and one smallish spring. Hopefully more springs heading this way soon.
What boat are you in? I had a beautiful chinook and a Coho get off right near the boat. Action here has been sporadic, nothing steady based on the boats around us.

Fished Sandheads today 7-2. One sockeye 730. Missed a couple bites. One chinook landed around 12 @60 ft. That was it. Much slower out there compared to last week. Guess the commercial fleet really slowed things down? Hopefully things pick up again soon.
I don't think the commercial fleet is completely to blame here.

There was 2-300 sport boats out every day since it has opened, getting their limits. How many fish is that?

Also, they aren't living there, simply getting acclimated to the fresh water before making their spawning run

Look at the in river test easy 10 thousand or more heading up river every day

View attachment 84964
We, like many boats, were out at Sandheads this morning. We got there at first light and were rewarded with 2 chinook by 7:15 or so. One around 11 pounds and one smaller that while it was legal we would have released it except it was a bleeder so we kept it. Anchovies at approx 50’ around the green can area. Then there was a quieter period where we got some shakers and missed a few good looking hits. It was strange, good hits but when we checked the anchovies the hooks were loose but no marks on the chovies. Then around 10:30 in deeper water approx 300’ with the chovies at 50’ we had great action. I lost a nice one after some big runs and got all the gear back so maybe just not a great hookup. Then my partner got a nice one around 15 pounds after again some big runs and a great fight. Then I was back on the rods and I got into a very nice chinook in the low 20s that took some monster runs and we managed to land it. We didn’t bring any sockeye to the boat today but we must have seen several hundred jumping. We also saw many jumpers in the river back up to the launch. Fisheries obviously seriously underestimated the late run sockeye - seeing the purse seiners and the trollers hauling in hundreds of sockeye and dodging the FN gillnets on their many openings on the way back AND not being allowed to take one sockeye seems well just plain unfair.

Last edited:
We, like many boats, were out at Sandheads this morning. We got there at first light and were rewarded with 2 chinook by 7:15 or so. One around 11 pounds and one smaller that while it was legal we would have released it except it was a bleeder so we kept it. Anchovies at approx 50’ around the green can area. Then there was a quieter period where we got some shakers and missed a few good looking hits. It was strange, good hits but when we checked the anchovies the hooks were loose but no marks on the chovies. Then around 10:30 in deeper water approx 300’ with the chovies at 50’ we had great action. I lost a nice one after some big runs and got all the gear back so maybe just not a great hookup. Then my partner got a nice one around 15 pounds after again some big runs and a great fight. Then I was back on the rods and I got into a very nice chinook in the low 20s that took some monster runs and we managed to land it. We didn’t bring any sockeye to the boat today but we must have seen several hundred jumping. We also saw many jumpers in the river back up to the launch. Fisheries obviously seriously underestimated the late run sockeye - seeing the purse seiners and the trollers hauling in hundreds of sockeye and dodging the FN gillnets on their many openings on the way back AND not being allowed to take one sockeye seems well just plain unfair.
Seems they do know...commercial quota almost tripled to 1/2 million.

On the positive side, FN1056 - "In addition, consideration is being given to some limited marine recreational fisheries targeting Fraser Sockeye in the coming days, and any fisheries will be announced by separate fishery notices. "

What boat are you in? I had a beautiful chinook and a Coho get off right near the boat. Action here has been sporadic, nothing steady based on the boats around us.
I was on a friend’s 19’ Trophy today. Lots of coho splashing around in front of the pink palace but we only managed one small spring at high slack in front of Ambleside. Chased someone’s fish that was swimming around with a leader and green flasher in tow but couldn’t grab the bugger. Might head out to T-10 tomorrow morning in search of some bigger fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back