2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing that there is a gale warning the next couple of days, decided to take advantage of the favorable condition and went out to sand heads with 2 fishing buddies this afternoon . Not much going on and we actually kept getting tangled up because the current was running pretty hard and we were using 13 pound pancake weights. Things settled downed a little around 5 but the bite really came on around 6:10 until 7:30 when we decided to head it. Caught 4 keepers with anchovies in green glow teaser head. Riggers depth 39/49 trolling 1.5-2.5 knots. I got to bring one home to share with 3 families. What a glorious night and really grateful for all my good fortunes.

Attachments

• 8C5CB15E-E284-47B0-9A5D-713AD568B11C.png
    8C5CB15E-E284-47B0-9A5D-713AD568B11C.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 157
  • DA3C28B0-5EEE-43F8-80A5-11AF93B6359B.png
    DA3C28B0-5EEE-43F8-80A5-11AF93B6359B.png
    1,022.3 KB · Views: 156
Wondering if anyone has decided that this is too easy yet and shut motor off and threw a buzz bomb or sting Zelda on yet and gone a jiggin? or ran a line without a downrigger and flasher and had some fun ? Success

Wondering if anyone has decided that this is too easy yet and shut motor off and threw a buzz bomb or sting Zelda on yet and gone a jiggin? or ran a line without a downrigger and flasher and had some fun ? Success
Yes, surface rod in the prop wash.

Mooching sandheads is very productive ! Incredibly fun , fav way to fish by far.

Did a bit of jigging at T10 on Sunday, after I had my spring limit. Got one wild coho. Ran a croc spoon top water on Monday with no hits. A bit of a hassle running something 100+ feet behind, with so many other boats around.

Fished T-10 from 3:30-5:30 today. Outside of the pack and North (but South of closure). Steady action, lots of hits on the turns….zig-zagged our way along. 39-69 on the riggers. Anchovies until we ran out.

Unbelievably poor hookup and landing rate…must have had 20+ bouncing rods, 7-8 undersize, 3 decent fish lost mid-fight, and 5-6 occasions where nothing there after the rod was in full bounce….anybody else experiencing this? I have fished a lot and this was by far the worst hookup rate ever seen!!! Treble with single stinger set-up. Brand new gammies….so frustrating! Even tried dropping the ball to pop the pin and set the hook to no avail.

Exact same story for me on Monday.. lost first 9 fish, and most of them felt heavy. Interestingly, same setup was run as you and @Rain City with the treble and single stinger and we all had the same result. Tried dropping the ball to add tension, and went from small herring in Rhys Davis teasers to chovies. Also played around with speed, and dropped it to around 1.6-1.9 knots from 2.0-2.2 knots. Eventually, the chovies landed me two nice whites. Also coincided with me burying the treble closer to the tail so the stinger was about 3/4" behind the tail (vs. ~flush where I usually have it).

Constant action, but the drawing board was definitely pulled out before a couple hooks found the right spot. Total a hoot though - what it's all about. My 1 year old boy came back smelling like fish with bloody pant knees from crawling around "the scene". Wife was stoked.....!

The commercial opening today will probably turn off the tap for a while if not the season sadly

Let the commercial boats take on the gale for a few days.

Are there web cams that will show water/wind conditions at the middle and south arms?

Dropping my speed and setting my stinger another inch back improved my hookup ratios on Monday. Fishing!
I run stingers too… Treble in front of a single (I was yesterday years old when I learned that’s what it was called lol)
Do you guys run the trailing single hook into the back of the chovy/herring? Or feed it thru and have it trail just behind the tail.
I now run it trailing behind the tail about an inch, this improved hook-up rate for me. I generally troll slow as well.

A quick fish 5-730 last night dropped the lines in right away at T10 and fish right away followed by a double header, nice red and a marble and two bullet cohos, raincity herring on one side and chovy on the other the meat fest, 60-80 what a fun quick evening, trolling 3.8 with the current 2 against, got back late at Iona last guy in the lot and the old timer gave me **** but ended chatting for 30 mins about some old school past fish stories really enjoy listening to what it was like back then from those guys, lol last words from him in a grumpy voice but smiling, ok i'm going to bed! just lock the gate on your way out...

coho.JPG
IMG_4111 2.JPG

Dropping my speed and setting my stinger another inch back improved my hookup ratios on Monday. Fishing!
I concur with @Aces although different strokes for different folks. I am trolling faster and using a much tighter drag (hence the bent hook posts earlier) and my retention to the boat has been almost perfect. I am a freak about wearing out my hook file too though. Shaker bycatch is very low, if any lately, another benefit of a faster stroll speed

I run stingers too… Treble in front of a single (I was yesterday years old when I learned that’s what it was called lol)
Do you guys run the trailing single hook into the back of the chovy/herring? Or feed it thru and have it trail just behind the tail.
I now run it trailing behind the tail about an inch, this improved hook-up rate for me. I generally troll slow as well.

Trailing for me...I almost never use stingers, they like my flesh a bit too much. And my net. But I did rig some for Monday after losing 2 on Saturday which a) did bring in 2 nice ones and b) prove yet again I'd rather lose a few more fish than fight those stingers haha...back to 2 singles for me. Oh and that whole bycatch thing, trebles wreck the same path of destruction on fishes and fingers alike!!

Took 4 springs on the weekend on a brads bait cut plug .
I tried one of those last Friday on bottom rod. It was rotating so fast tho. Seemed it needed to be run at <2mph? I thought I would put the used anchovy parts inside the bradsbait.
What speed were you running it?

Herring set up with the treble and a single stinger.... really trying to figure out why all these lost fish half way through a fight, my conclusion is the treble is pulling the trailer hook out of the fish when the fish swims away it gets hooked and the side of the head which is soft then the magical hook pull or vice versa on hooks, just like getting caught in the net with the fish end up breaking leaders instead,,
will try two singles

….anybody else experiencing this? I have fished a lot and this was by far the worst hookup rate ever seen!!! Treble with single stinger set-up. Brand new gammies….so frustrating!
There's a thread on BD about someone having poor results with Gammies made in Thailand not Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back