2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried one of those last Friday on bottom rod. It was rotating so fast tho. Seemed it needed to be run at <2mph? I thought I would put the used anchovy parts inside the bradsbait.
What speed were you running it?
Slower like 2.2-2.3mph. Faster and it flips around like a spoon.

What a beautiful night last night at sandheads. I took a friend out salmon fishing for his first time last night promising big fish! Fished from around 330 until sunset. 4 jacks and the only decent fish we hooked was lost at the side of the boat due to newbie inexperience.

Friday and Saturday we did great, but it seemed to slow down each day around 1pm and we gave up before the bite came back on. I thought coming out later yesterday would get me into the evening bite.

I know there's been talk about these springs being morning fish. Is that the case or has it been the flood tide that was the ticket? For me, the last two septembers at sandheads it seems that my best fishing has been on the flood.

I concur with @Aces although different strokes for different folks. I am trolling faster and using a much tighter drag (hence the bent hook posts earlier) and my retention to the boat has been almost perfect. I am a freak about wearing out my hook file too though. Shaker bycatch is very low, if any lately, another benefit of a faster stroll speed
I also think if you’re losing a lot of fish I like the next bigger size hook

If I really need to put fish in the box and there is very little bycatch around I will run #1 treble with a #2 treble 1 1/2" behind the tale. Sometimes the fish just aren't committed

What a beautiful night last night at sandheads. I took a friend out salmon fishing for his first time last night promising big fish! Fished from around 330 until sunset. 4 jacks and the only decent fish we hooked was lost at the side of the boat due to newbie inexperience.

Friday and Saturday we did great, but it seemed to slow down each day around 1pm and we gave up before the bite came back on. I thought coming out later yesterday would get me into the evening bite.

I know there's been talk about these springs being morning fish. Is that the case or has it been the flood tide that was the ticket? For me, the last two septembers at sandheads it seems that my best fishing has been on the flood.
It been mentioned a few times in this thread regarding September 1 and onward, the morning bite has been the most productive, however it has been coinciding with the flood or low slack leading to the flood tide. Something about that early morning light and bite. Charlie White would swear by it in his books.

Sand Heads Lightstation​

02:00 PM PDT 07 September 2022
This table is a summary of hourly weather conditions for the weather station or buoy.
Please note that these observations might not always be representative of weather conditions over their associated marine area.
Wind (knots)WNW 25 gust 31Air temperature (°C)18
ConditionsN/ARelative humidity (%)63
Visibility (km)N/ADew point temperature (°C)11
Pressure and tendency (kPa)N/AHumidex / Wind Chill--
Sunrise6:38 PDTSunset19:44 PDT

Fished T10 from 1 - 4. Took 4 coworkers out for their first time salmon fishing. Had my hands full running the boat and the gear so glad it was a weekday and lighter traffic out there and easy water. Stayed pretty close to the buoy and had consistant action. Boxed a 10 and a 12, released 1 under, lost a possible keeper at the side of the boat, released wild coho and had several other hits. Used bait, ap spoon and GS bucktail. Depths were 40 - 60. Excellent conditions out there today. My buddy flipped when he saw the Seahawks boat!
I seen the Seahawks boat who owns it

We started at BB around 1030 fished until 1230- had a mother hoard of fish around my boat for a bit-no bite
Decided to pull the pin and head to t-10- found some fish- the bites seem to come on then go flat for a while- ended up 3 for 9- 1 was a big wild coho that went everywhere it should not around the boat- nuts-released it without pulling it in the boat- the barbless hook just slipped out- just like 6 that didnt hang on- 1 of which flopped out of the net as the hook popped- the longer 48” leader seemed to fish better than shiort on the hooch- 50-60 ft seemed to be golden
How big is your boat?

Its owned by a great fishing family on the North Shore, we share a shed. That thing is pretty cool to fish out of but it ain't no Hourston haha
Yes it’s a nice looking boat
Its owned by a great fishing family on the North Shore, we share a shed. That thing is pretty cool to fish out of but it ain't no Hourston haha
yes nice looking boat then there was the big white one with twin 450
Is that your boat in the photo I would love to have that boat perfect . I just have a lake boat with one arm strong downrigger lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back