2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it’s a nice looking boat

yes nice looking boat then there was the big white one with twin 450
Is that your boat in the photo I would love to have that boat perfect . I just have a lake boat with one arm strong downrigger lol

Those big whalers are almost too big for fishing the inside, single handed anyway. Yep, that's our battle cruiser, had her 7 seasons now and it's been an awesome boat. Time for a few tweaks this winter, see how it goes...thanks!

1.1M at the Georgia Strait bouy, NW 22 to 26 knots, sounds like a real "hey @Raincity hold my beer" sort of day! Seems like it will lay down towards the end of the week, I'm hoping for a rip out Friday morning and Saturday for sure.
I will probably see you out there Friday morning, middle arm for sure but I like someone’s idea where they troll from the south arm to the middle arm and had great success.

Those big whalers are almost too big for fishing the inside, single handed anyway. Yep, that's our battle cruiser, had her 7 seasons now and it's been an awesome boat. Time for a few tweaks this winter, see how it goes...thanks!
Its owned by a great fishing family on the North Shore, we share a shed. That thing is pretty cool to fish out of but it ain't no Hourston haha
You travel from north Vancouver up t10 Where do you park your boat ?
I am new here I live in north Vancouver but trailer my boat to stevston

On a light wind day. I used to take a 14 ft Greggor out with a 25 hp on it. Currents can get crazy. Combined with winds you could get into trouble real fast in a small boat if weather took a turn for the worst. If you don't have experience of being out there. I would use alot of caution or say don't go.
I might suggest a better idea for you. Launch at Vanier. Go fish the mile markers and bell of point Grey. Or the cap mouth to start. I would avoid going out anything over 5 to 10 knot wind in the smaller boat. I also used to fish the tsawassen coal docs in the 14 ft boat. But I think that area might be closed now? Was great go launch at causeway drop traps start trolling over just don't get run over by ferry boat. But again I think it is closed over there unless someone ca say different.
That's what I'm gonna do, start out easy with nice calm winds and build up from there. See how my tinny handles different conditions and build confidence.
So far the highest winds my HC been in is 4.3 knts. At allouette lake.
Just gotta get my motor working...

Last edited:
That's what I'm gonna do, start out easy with nice calm winds and build up from there. See how my tinny handles different conditions and build confidence.
So far the highest winds my HC been in is 4.3 knts. At allouette lake.
Just gotta get my motor working...
No Bell Buoy though, it has been suggested a few times recently in this thread, but that area is closed until Oct 1st. You probably know this.

Last edited:
Just need autopilot

I miss the good old days when we didn't have cell phones, text or the Internet and we all had to decipher all of the secret code on our radios to find out where the hot spots are.

How times have changed with our sportfishing culture, now anyone can open up this thread in their phone browser with one hand on the wheel to find out everything they need to know to catch fish.

Also, sockeye may be opening this weekend.
You found out about the sockeye opening on your cell phone right? I’ll see myself out :)

sunday looks like better wind conditions but is it going to an empty fridge.....or at best slim pickings ...

An empty fridge is what separates the good chefs from the mediocre . I’m sure there will be fish around … especially for those who know how to fish the Fraser mouth well.
I better stay home then. Unless someone that knows how to fish will let me aboard .

sunday looks like better wind conditions but is it going to an empty fridge.....or at best slim pickings ...
I checked, back in 2018 my best sockeye day was Sept 13 so there still should be a decent # of sockeye around, and it seems the crazy first week of Sept for springs was like the usual last couple weeks of August (they seem a touch late) so with the rains holding off as well, I’d say the fishing should be fine for another week for sure, maybe a couple

I checked, back in 2018 my best sockeye day was Sept 13 so there still should be a decent # of sockeye around, and it seems the crazy first week of Sept for springs was like the usual last couple weeks of August (they seem a touch late) so with the rains holding off as well, I’d say the fishing should be fine for another week for sure, maybe a couple
My first year with my own boat in awhile, was fishing with a partner on his for the last few years, so I am doing a better diary to be able to do what you just showed.

I miss the good old days when we didn't have cell phones, text or the Internet and we all had to decipher all of the secret code on our radios to find out where the hot spots are.

How times have changed with our sportfishing culture, now anyone can open up this thread in their phone browser with one hand on the wheel to find out everything they need to know to catch fish.

Also, sockeye may be opening this weekend.
yes. Used to count the turns on the scotty manuals to see how deep the guys catching were fishing. miss that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back