2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not by me, have done pretty good out there this year. Except for the added fuel costs. I don't like to fish with the crowd, too many with no clue on boating etiquette or rules.
Were there any guide boats out there when you have been there? I noticed most of them going across the Thrasher area due to the openings and the quantity of fish over there. The Hump was a staple for many of them.

Are guide boats the boats with everyone drinking beer and throwing junk in the water?

I do not know how to tell a guide boat from any other. I do know that I steer away from any other boat in the area and once people start following me I pick up and fish somewhere else.
That's how 99% of people fish the hump though. I've been drifting out in the middle of nowhere and had guys pull up 30 feet behind me and drop their gear.

Are guide boats the boats with everyone drinking beer and throwing junk in the water?

I do not know how to tell a guide boat from any other. I do know that I steer away from any other boat in the area and once people start following me I pick up and fish somewhere else.

Easy way to tell is the "C" leading the reg number...and some other stuff but the C works

Brutal conditions out here. Had to tuck inside off Cowan but now that the wind is shifting from the south its still bad. Bur because we are into 10+hits hanging around. All nooks 45-65 cm.

Brutal conditions out here. Had to tuck inside off Cowan but now that the wind is shifting from the south its still bad. Bur because we are into 10+hits hanging around. All nooks 45-65 cm.
My last day there they were that size too but plenty of hits. The action was excellent.

Finding that handling all the trolling activities on my own makes for a challenging/tiring day. My 2 fishing buddies have passed away and my family is now too busy to come out with me. No set schedule - I look for favorable wind and waves so fishing can randomly be any day of the week.
I run out of MillTown. Looking to share the fishing time with fisher who has eperience and has similar situation, or is landlocked due to no boat, or boat under repair.

Last edited:
It’s a full day when solo and fighting currents, other boats, 2 downriggers n rods, double headers.
I haven’t been fishing very long but every time I see guys going solo man hats off. Lots of work like you guys say. I also prefer favourable wind and waves Morty and our boat is at Milltown too. Maybe we can hook up some time

Last edited:
My last day there they were that size too but plenty of hits. The action was excellent.
It was an epic day. Swells and wind gusts were massive but the fish wouldn't stop biting. Fished 8-3 and 1dog on a lure (first for me) more dogs on bait so stopped using bait. 1 sockeye, 5 coho (2 hatch) and stopped counting nooks after 15. Most in 45-55 cm and 1 at 62. 10 samples done for Avid Angler. Too rough to do them all. All on the inside of Cowan. Damn winds shifted from west to southeast so no hiding in the afternoon. Hits from 30-65 in the morning to 55-90 in the afternoon. Heads still spinning fron all those rollers.

Hope this is a good sign of things to come, last day for my son visiting so i decided to take him out yesterday, hit the last bit of the high yesterday
got up at 330am motored in the slight darkness wanted to lines in before sun up, soon as the sun was coming up bam it was coho after coho, followed by a spring on skinny g 47' , was a really short window of tide, had two more major takes broke off the clip i knew they were springs, then went quite, just ready to pull the lines at 9am bam another nice spring on bait 60' West van short a sweet morning home by 10 ... big smiles on my son all fish getting cut up today for hot smoke...
forum .JPGIMG_3431.JPGIMG_3436.JPG

Hope this is a good sign of things to come, last day for my son visiting so i decided to take him out yesterday, hit the last bit of the high yesterday
got up at 330am motored in the slight darkness wanted to lines in before sun up, soon as the sun was coming up bam it was coho after coho, followed by a spring on skinny g 47' , was a really short window of tide, had two more major takes broke off the clip i knew they were springs, then went quite, just ready to pull the lines at 9am bam another nice spring on bait 60' West van short a sweet morning home by 10 ... big smiles on my son all fish getting cut up today for hot smoke...
View attachment 84301View attachment 84302View attachment 84305
Looks like the fish have finally shown up in West Van ?

Awesome. I went down to Ambleside with the dog and there was a seal tearing up a nice spring just off shore. I do believe I won't make it to the office today...again.

Boo...kids 5 weeks of never ending hockey tryouts wins again. Tomorrow in the winds for sure!

Last edited:
Yup, there was action from Atkinson to the mouth of the Cap. Water visibility is nasty, and seems everyone was catching up high 35' to 45' (think that one found Reeltime by scent). All my hits were with a chartreuse glow flasher and Skinny G Bon Chovy (think white or glow/white).

That's an early start, but a great time for you & your son! Congrats!

Looks like the fish have finally shown up in West Van ?
Yes they have and i hope it's a good sign for the mouth of the Fraser also..

That's an early start, but a great time for you & your son! Congrats!
Nothing like cool mornings, no crowds and flat water, just seams way more fishy early mornings, thanks man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back