2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a report but a good excuse for someone to get out on the water a few (3-4) times a month. PSF is looking for a new citizen scientist to do ocean sampling on the Sunshine Coast. Could be based in Gibsons, Sechelt or even West Van if you're ok making longer runs. $500/day stipend plus fuel costs covered.
Poster below with more details and links to the program here:
https://marinesurvivalproject.com/.../citizen-science.../

Attachments

• Gibsons_Sunshine Citizen Scientist - jpeg.JPG
    Gibsons_Sunshine Citizen Scientist - jpeg.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 61
I may have mentioned this earlier, but for those who follow these solunar tables, today is a rare four star day in our local waters. This chart photo was based on the Point Atkinson tide chart for today. I’m going out a bit before low slack. Tips up!

View attachment 84121

View attachment 84122
Thanks for sharing! if you don't mind me asking, which app are you using for these charts? Looks very clean.

Combination of wild and hatchery Chinook, all in a non-retention area of course. But after falling asleep on the west Vancouver shoreline, this is a piece of heaven. For the record, I have not used bait all year, everything‘s on spoons and hoochies/flash fly.

Combination of wild and hatchery Chinook, all in a non-retention area of course. But after falling asleep on the west Vancouver shoreline, this is a piece of heaven. For the record, I have not used bait all year, everything‘s on spoons and hoochies/flash fly.
Sounds like heaven. You're most of the way to Gower. Are you going to try there?

Sounds like heaven. You're most of the way to Gower. Are you going to try there?
No I’m just around Cowan point, most of the action is on the Seymour Bay side instead of the southside of Bowen. I’m just doing big circles.

Batting .600 now including one dogfish that got on when I let the flasher n gear come up at its own speed as I was checking for seaweed.

Last edited:
No I’m just around Cowan ppoint, most of the action is on the Seymour Bay side instead of the southside of Bowen. I’m just doing big circles.

Batting .600 now including one dogfish that got on when I let the flasher n gear come up at its own speed as I was checking for seaweed.
Well now you have a keeper :p Thanks for the updates. I'll remember to do the same on Saturday

Went fishing on Monday/Tuesday out by Texada/Lesqueti. Monday, lost a nice chinook at the boat, lost one on a run and jump, lost a real nice one to a sea lion that almost pulled me out of the boat, lost one after my brother measured it at 64cm and it flipped out of his hands! a real Keystone Cops kinda day! Tuesday, back to same area, got one chinook at 64cm and one at 77cm. Jigging MacFish at up to 60 ft.

I may have mentioned this earlier, but for those who follow these solunar tables, today is a rare four star day in our local waters. This chart photo was based on the Point Atkinson tide chart for today. I’m going out a bit before low slack. Tips up!

View attachment 84121

View attachment 84122
I figured something ( good fishing) was goin to come on over the next couple days leading to the big moon- the high tides times are a little off for myself tho- sure would like to hear if it goes off….

It’s certainly a different perspective when you go past Bowen Island on a ferry. Heading over to Nanaimo right now, and going past all the usual fishing spots but further out and higher up on the top deck, sure looks different. Just one boat out fighting the slop on the southside right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back