2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was out 12-5 today area 28-6 , 10-20 boats , had one pin popper, only saw a few releases at sides of boat
the one hit at 88’ 120’ of water, purple haze flasher + copcar by the shrink wrapped house

Last edited:
Here is a new 2022 map posted by highwater tackle on FB.

Fished over at naniamo side this evening. Marked lots of bait at the fingers in the first 70ft of water. I was fishing at 180 and 250 on the rigger. People catching around me left right and center. Pulled it up to 60 and 80 on the rigger and had two monster springs - released without netting (one intentional the other not but worked out!). And retained a 70cm doe chum. Haven't caught a Chum on this side before. Great night.

Fished over at naniamo side this evening. Marked lots of bait at the fingers in the first 70ft of water. I was fishing at 180 and 250 on the rigger. People catching around me left right and center. Pulled it up to 60 and 80 on the rigger and had two monster springs - released without netting (one intentional the other not but worked out!). And retained a 70cm doe chum. Haven't caught a Chum on this side before. Great night.
Most guides are crossing that I talked to, it is noticeably slow in Vancouver harbour and area right now.

This was reviewed by some very knowledgeable "peers".
Because the regs are basically the same as 2021 (except the new North Arm closure) it's a handy quick reference. And as circled, it's best to check the DFO website for possible running changes.
Hate to say it, but upon re-reading the FN, it's clear to me at least that there is an 80 cm max size for 28-6.

I think there going with the assumption that everyone knows no retention under 62cm. So saying nothing over 80 means slot size 62 - 80cm. That is my interpretation. Now all I have to do is actually put the boat in the water and get out. :D

I think there going with the assumption that everyone knows no retention under 62cm. So saying nothing over 80 means slot size 62 - 80cm. That is my interpretation. Now all I have to do is actually put the boat in the water and get out. :D
So I’ve sent an email to dfo asking about the 80cm max. ( got the email address off the sports fishing bc app) and there reply was go to this https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s28-eng.html. So on going to this link there is no mention of a max only a min.

Just got back from a reputable tackle shop. The guys there are thinking sockeye will open aug 15 and there is some sort of meeting today. Not a report but great news! We will see.
Going to try for some cap coho one day this week. Apparently guys are limiting out right now.

Just got back from a reputable tackle shop. The guys there are thinking sockeye will open aug 15 and there is some sort of meeting today. Not a report but great news! We will see.
Going to try for some cap coho one day this week. Apparently guys are limiting out right now.

between august 15-24, Tho its not the greatest news as summer run is either late or its a smaller run then 2018. ether way by friday they should have a better idea.

here is the info from the meeting today https://www.psc.org/download/656/2022/14692/2022-08-02-distribution.pdf

Edit: it can also open on short notice before that if a surge of fish get caught in the tests off area 20 and 12.

Last edited:

Do you mean limiting out by fishing in the river, or trolling out front?

I went by Capilano about 2pm yesterday and did not see one boat fishing out front.
I did see 6 or 8 fisherman in the river mouth though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back