2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't used the Vanier ramp is some time. I recall someone telling me the west ramp which is the newer and better one is closed and everyone is forced to use the east ramp. Does anyone know of what is the minimum tide level that I should attempt a 20ft fiberglass boat to launch or retrieve in for the east ramp? I recall one time a while back I had to back up well into the soft sand and had my entire rear of my truck tire submerged in order to get my boat out of that ramp.. planning on using the Vander ramp in next day or 2. Thanks

Did they ever fix the public dock by the Vancouver convention center? Used to use that to come downtown for dinner
Not sure, but the dock/ramp that got steady use at Monks/Mahoneys is still closed. I take friends for a False Creek cruise and we used to run up for ice cream at the outlet on the eastside of the building.

How is the east ramp at vanier? Is it also closed like the west ramp? What is the min tide in meters to launch a 20ft boat without issue or without going deep into the sand. If anyone has experience with that ramp let me know. Thanks

How is the east ramp at vanier? Is it also closed like the west ramp? What is the min tide in meters to launch a 20ft boat without issue or without going deep into the sand. If anyone has experience with that ramp let me know. Thanks
East is open, check the tides and plan around that. It is a gradual grade but I launched there awhile ago with a Honda Pilot and 18' centre console aluminum boat. The low tide the last few days was extreme, many sailboats at Burrard Civic were on their keel.

Been like 3 or 4 years?
Yeah, about that. And it doesn't look like they've done anything at all since putting the fencing up.

I was going past on Tuesday and thinking that the docks were in pretty good condition and there is no reason they couldn't have left them open all this time until they are actually ready to do something.

I've used this launch several times this year. My boat is a Hewescraft 210 Sea Runner. I don't like anything less than 7-8ft to be safe. We came back a bit later than expected a few weeks ago and it was 5.9ft and chewed up the prop a bit getting on the trailer. My tow vehicle is a dodge ram. There was a fellow next to me with an SUV and an 19-20ft glass boat and couldn't get it out.

Yeah, about that. And it doesn't look like they've done anything at all since putting the fencing up.

I was going past on Tuesday and thinking that the docks were in pretty good condition and there is no reason they couldn't have left them open all this time until they are actually ready to do something.

I was literally out front of the gate today it says they are doing construction may 2022 onwards to rehab the docks. Sfa going on and there is literally no other transient pickup are in coal harbor.

It was smoked Christmas 2019 by that ghost barge in the night.

I was literally out front of the gate today it says they are doing construction may 2022 onwards to rehab the docks. Sfa going on and there is literally no other transient pickup are in coal harbor.

It was smoked Christmas 2019 by that ghost barge in the night.
The sign says "Extreme Weather Damage", when in fact it was extreme neglect (maintenance and upholding of rules) by The Parks Board that contributed to the demise of the west launch.

A storm in March, 2021, with a derelict sailboat (which had been tied on the east side of the west float for months) and another sailboat which came to shelter from the storm on the west side (dropping anchor of all things and neglecting to understand that the tide goes both in and out), caused the initial damage. Months later, another storm finished it off, however had the docked been repaired promptly I suggest we would still be using it now.

Here is the "before and after" following the March, 2021 storm. The video is even better!

Attachments

• IMG_4903.JPG
    IMG_4903.JPG
    325.4 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_4916.JPG
    IMG_4916.JPG
    276.7 KB · Views: 155
The sign says "Extreme Weather Damage", when in fact it was extreme neglect (maintenance and upholding of rules) by The Parks Board that contributed to the demise of the west launch.

A storm in March, 2021, with a derelict sailboat (which had been tied on the east side of the west float for months) and another sailboat which came to shelter from the storm on the west side (dropping anchor of all things and neglecting to understand that the tide goes both in and out), caused the initial damage. Months later, another storm finished it off, however had the docked been repaired promptly I suggest we would still be using it now.

Here is the "before and after" following the March, 2021 storm. The video is even better!
The staff at Burrard Civic ask us all to call 311 and report/complain/ ask when it will be back in use.

The Parks Board is useless. They do **** they shouldn’t do and neglect what they should. We need to get rid of it and let City Council manage Parks. Save ourselves their salaries.
What an awesome couple of days out on the water. Too bad we can’t fish. I heard several people on the radio yesterday screaming no catch and release. Stop fishing. (To other boats not me I was cruising).

The Parks Board is useless. They do **** they shouldn’t do and neglect what they should. We need to get rid of it and let City Council manage Parks. Save ourselves their salaries.
What an awesome couple of days out on the water. Too bad we can’t fish. I heard several people on the radio yesterday screaming no catch and release. Stop fishing. (To other boats not me I was cruising).

I was curious about the "no fishing" rule so I asked DFO directly. This was from 2021 but I believe the wording is the same as the regs now. This was their response

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220522-181906_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20220522-181906_Twitter.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 206
  • Screenshot_20220522-181845_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20220522-181845_Twitter.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 205
Hit up Thrasher this morning picked up 3 decent lings and a bunch of small released. Great day on the water with my wife our son and his girlfriend! Top it off with some cold beer and the wife’s homemade fish and chips!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back