2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used this launch several times this year. My boat is a Hewescraft 210 Sea Runner. I don't like anything less than 7-8ft to be safe. We came back a bit later than expected a few weeks ago and it was 5.9ft and chewed up the prop a bit getting on the trailer. My tow vehicle is a dodge ram. There was a fellow next to me with an SUV and an 19-20ft glass boat and couldn't get it out.
World class Vancouver. This is the best we can do.

The sign says "Extreme Weather Damage", when in fact it was extreme neglect (maintenance and upholding of rules) by The Parks Board that contributed to the demise of the west launch.

A storm in March, 2021, with a derelict sailboat (which had been tied on the east side of the west float for months) and another sailboat which came to shelter from the storm on the west side (dropping anchor of all things and neglecting to understand that the tide goes both in and out), caused the initial damage. Months later, another storm finished it off, however had the docked been repaired promptly I suggest we would still be using it now.

Here is the "before and after" following the March, 2021 storm. The video is even better!

Duly noted. I was referring to the public access docks in coal harbor, same circus different spot.

Trip to the other side was a reasonable success. I messed around on Thrasher for 5 straight hours day one and managed one keeper ling out of about 20 unders. Day two I hit a different spot and got one big big guy and about a 70cm. The medium one is my favorite eater but man you can't go wrong with a huge pile of meat from the big one. 7 hours of fishing with the wife and kid is a huge win.
Oh and I should add, the barely keeper had more worms than the big that I don't even want to post a picture of because people will say its wormy and gross.
20220523_220615.jpg

Last edited:
Trip to the other side was a reasonable success. I messed around on Thrasher for 5 straight hours day one and managed one keeper ling out of about 20 unders. Day two I hit a different spot and got one big big guy and about a 70cm. The medium one is my favorite eater but man you can't go wrong with a huge pile of meat from the big one. 7 hours of fishing with the wife and kid is a huge win.
Oh and I should add, the barely keeper had more worms than the big that I don't even want to post a picture of because people will say its wormy and gross.
View attachment 80086
Post the pics. You won't be judged on this site.

I'd say that's a safe bet. Did you look at the archived threads to see when it was announced the past couple years?

Nothing better than cleaning fish and sipping some wine! Was in the Gabriola area on Sunday and picked up two lings with my son, but was really cool was having a huge humpback swim past us (at about 70 metres) while we were jigging. And then on the way home spotted a pack of killer whales heading north in the middle of the straight.

Have been tagging fish around HITW. Sunday, Monday, and today. There are some very BIG fish around. From 60 up to 80 cm and all chunky. One today was a screecher. First knuckle duster for me in a long time. Epic fight. Just amazed how many big fish are around right now. Most caught at 65 and no deeper than 90. Some very valuable data collected and will be curious to see where they came from.

Have been tagging fish around HITW. Sunday, Monday, and today. There are some very BIG fish around. From 60 up to 80 cm and all chunky. One today was a screecher. First knuckle duster for me in a long time. Epic fight. Just amazed how many big fish are around right now. Most caught at 65 and no deeper than 90. Some very valuable data collected and will be curious to see where they came from.
awesome how many of those fish were hatchery?

How does one sign up to tag/DNA sample fish?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back